The Chicken - after a load of practice

WaitForItDrummer

Hi everyone,

So had a go at recording Pee Wee Ellis' The Chicken, a Trinity College London Grade 4 piece.
Backing track from Trinity..

It was a very challenging piece to learn - and still much room for improvement!
In perspective, been drumming for 2 years, lessons for 18 months... Lots and lots of practice, love it, so here goes!

http://youtu.be/YgBDxNh52LY

Many thanks for Mad About Drums for his encouragement to post it here :)

Hope you enjoy,

Kate

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
"Many thanks for Mad About Drums for his encouragement to post it here :)" Add me to the thanks too. Great job-very well played-nice flow, good time, each hit with confidence. Well done. Love it.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The choice of 16th on the hats makes judging the rests quite challenging. I think you did a great job Kate! :)

JustJames

Platinum Member
Nicely done!

I liked the 16th notes on the hats, you looked nicely relaxed, loved the big sound of your toms...and especially liked the smile at the end.

Juniper

Gold Member
Well done Kate, did very well with your playing there!. Good progress given how little (in terms of years) you have played.

Keep it up!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Many thanks for Mad About Drums for his encouragement to post it here :)
That was too good to be missed Kate :)

I loved it, considering the time you've been playing, we can see how much you love drumming, it's an inspiration for all of us, keep it up and post your playing more often ;)

WaitForItDrummer

Thanks everyone for nice comments and encouragement! :)
It's really great you guys are so supportive! :)
I was quite nervous before recording and posting it - so thanks!

The hand to hand 16ths on the HH was not so much my choice - it was the recommended sticking on the Trinity chart for this. And the first 16 feel piece in the curriculum do I guess they wanted to cover playing 16ths like this. I've seen people play all the 16ths with the RH - but I could do that yet...

wildbill

Platinum Member
Bravo! Nicely done.

Totally intense concentration, and we both busted out a big smile when you made it to the end.

If I remember correctly, at 2 years in, I was still on a practice pad/snare drum.
Wouldn't have even known where to begin with that piece.
Keep up the good work.

WaitForItDrummer

Thanks everyone! :)
When I first saw the chart in June I was rather terrified and had no idea where to begin either... Lots of practice since... Learned it basically as a solo then playing with the track was less daunting / more natural / then fun ...

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Oh I loved playing this song in college jazz band. The 16th note hi-hat is an interesting choice, not sure I like it, but that's purely as a compositional aesthetic and not on your playing or anything. Good work, keep it up!

WaitForItDrummer

Oh I loved playing this song in college jazz band. The 16th note hi-hat is an interesting choice, not sure I like it, but that's purely as a compositional aesthetic and not on your playing or anything. Good work, keep it up!
Thanks, Bill! Thanks everyone for positive comments :) I was a bit afraid of possible trolling but everyone on this forum is so supportive!

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Very well done! I'll admit I've never heard that song before but I liked the 16ths on the HH. Had a good feel, nice job!