The Charley Wilcoxon Challenge

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
That's a good way to put it. I'm glad this thread popped back up. I pulled this book out after not seeing it in about 15 years. I no longer keep a kit in my office, but I do keep my Prologix Blue Lighting pad on a stand under my desk for when I feel like taking a break.
There's also no law that says you can't elaborate on the etudes and use them as inspiration to create your own stuff. Ultimately what all material should come down to IMO, especially for a kit player and extra-especially for a jazzer.

There is a procedure if we want things to actually come out in our playing spontaneously.

cornelius

Silver Member
So I downloaded a .pdf of AAD. The notation is a little dated, but I'm looking forward to diving into it.

Are there any in particular that teachers recommend students to start with, or should I just start at the beginning?
Find some solos that you resonate with - or ones that pose a challenge that will help you work on something you've been meaning to improve upon.

BrandonGoodwin

So I downloaded a .pdf of AAD. The notation is a little dated, but I'm looking forward to diving into it.

Are there any in particular that teachers recommend students to start with, or should I just start at the beginning?
Any are good, and there are lots of versions of each solo online. #6 is an easier one, so you could start there. Or just go from the beginning!