The Burton Grip

Nealio1987

hi all

ive been reading about this tuned percussion grip , does anyone use this on the kit ? 2 sticks in each hand ?? ....just a question ??

The Burton grip facilitates playing double stops with the same hand. My imagination fails me when I try to find a legitimate use for it on the drum kit. For one, the distances between different sound sources seem to be generally speaking too big for the Burton grip to work.

Steve Gadd used four sticks in his Late In The Evening groove to produce a sound of multiple drummers, but he used the matched grip.

I used to use 2 sticks on the ride cymbal only for trying to replicate the double drummer sound of certain Allman Brothers songs. It was a novelty, but I got good comments from strangers in the audience about it. I thought it sounded interesting, good even. I don't do it anymore though.

The old Gillette razor theory. If one blade is good, 5 blades is better.

Honestly though, I would hesitate to spend much time on this unless I had a song I needed to play often this way.

Stevens grip is more versitile and flexible. I think that would be a better choice for drumset playing if you absolutely had too. Traditional crossgrip also.

I use the Burton grip if I have to hold different types of sticks for percussion parts. Lessens the hassle of switching sticks.

I use Burton grip for vibes, but I would imagine it would be workable on drum set, especially with the cross section. I wouldn't think Stevens grip wouldn't work too well for that kind of application.

Back