The Black Beauty on records

jda

Gold Member
the Black Beauty from the 20s) was away for awhile then reappeared when.. 1976/77?
So if so, everything from around 1959-1975 (yes even in the pop world esp in the pop world- wasn't BB.
And we're only looking at post-1976? oh. ok.

Last edited:

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
A Tama Bell Brass list would be cool
I cant give you songs (yet).

In the 90s, I remember seeing an ad for the reissue of this snare in MD. It had a deeper (6.5?) and a piccolo pictured. It also had Paul Bostaph in it. He was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I use the deep one for slow songs and the piccolo for fast ones in the studio."

So there is at least one Slayer album from the 90s with the Tama Bell Brass on it. Figure out the album(s) and we can figure out the songs.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Since the 90's a lot of drum samples are being used. Maybe not to replace the original snare sound, but in the least to alter it.
You really don't know who used what and when. I used to use a lot of different snares on each album session.
Two of my favourites were Ludwig BB 6.5" (B/O badge 70's) and an N&C Star Classic 5 x 14", but I also used up to five or six other snares.
Producers rent in their favourite snares, plus samples are added.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
Okay, correction. The ad was from 2000, not the 1990s. This is it, I cant find a clear image:

20221128_085000.jpg

Prior to this ad, Paul recorded 2 studio albums with Slayer, Divine Intervention and Diabolus in Musica. They also did Undisputed Attitude, but that was cover songs.

spelman

Okay, correction. The ad was from 2000, not the 1990s. This is it, I cant find a clear image:

View attachment 127339

Prior to this ad, Paul recorded 2 studio albums with Slayer, Divine Intervention and Diabolus in Musica. They also did Undisputed Attitude, but that was cover songs.
Yes, the album he speaks of using the two Tama snares, is Diabolus In Musica.

spelman

Metallicas Master of Puppets was recorded with Rick Allens Black Beauty.

Totigerus

One snare sound that I flipped over was on Steve Perry's Street talk album. Especially the tune Oh Sherry in which Larrie Londin stated on a DVD that a 5x14 70s unetched black beauty was used. The majority of the album was that drum which Steve loved and requested.
the drums on that song are so ridiculously tight i thought it was a drum machine 😱

Totigerus

If anyone knows for sure that a particular song was recorded with a BB on the released track...could we get a list?

I'm not sure that there's a wood snare that is as ubiquitous as the BB for a list of wood snares

A list for the Copperphonic would be cool.

A Supra list would be cool

A Tama Bell Brass list would be cool

The diameter and the depth...if you know them....include that too.

So if you know of recordings where any of the above snares are featured, or even if it's a completely different snare...as long as you know for absolute sure that the snare you are posting about is the snare used in your link...please post a link if you want to play. Or not. Your call. Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Your pal,
Larry
I'd be really interested in a Tama Bell Brass List personally. It's the only "Holy Grail" drum I've ever cared about. I know rumors of many albums where it was used, but it sounds like you want first-hand accounts to be absolutely sure of the results.

s1212z

Silver Member
A few more references for the Black Beauty and Bell Brass,. I believe the Black Beauty was both Blood Sugar and Red Hot Minute. Quite a few 90s hit albums with the Bell Brass. Porcaro had a favorite Dr Doctor BB....the list is probably very extensive. I know mid to late 90s, Jon Fishman's main snare (6.5) though was mixing with an N&C Alloy Classic at that time.

Here is their snare inventory, assuming these were the same:

See if you can hear the difference on the vintage vs modern, or the famous vintage 'low-end'. I can attest the Canopus BB (which was modeled after 70s version) definitely sits lower than any modern BB that I've heard. I prefer it, it's a bit warmer to my ear but I can't say how close they got to an actual vintage version which is probably it's own entity, but either way I'd take an 8 lug over a 10 lug modern BB, definitely.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
John JR Robinson famously used one on the song Higher Love by Steve Winwood. The opening is him just messing around on it while recording & they ended up using it for the track.
The ring & response is legendary.

timmdrum

Silver Member
The title song (and probalby more) is done on a Keplinger. That distinctive, but not cheap steel sounding zoing.

Gregg Keplinger was Matt’s tech at that time and it seems he had Matt play his prototype’s. I read it was an 8” deep model.
Yes, it's widely known Cameron used Ayotte and Keplinger heavily during this period.

timmdrum

Silver Member
Pretty sure Chad Smith used a black beauty on blood, sugar, sex, magic.
Possibly. I just watched a doc on the recording of BSSM that showed him using a lot of Gretsch drums, and in MD sometime in the 90s he mentioned using a lot of Brady snares.

timmdrum

Silver Member

RobertM

Platinum Member
According to evidence provided by Ian Piggott, Chad Smith used Gretsch USA Custom drums (square badge), Paiste and Zildjian cymbals, and a combination of a Tama 3.5x14 bell brass snare with massive bell brass die-cast hoops and a 1970s-era Black Beauty when recording Blood Sugar Sex Magic. The Black Beauty was used on most of the tracks.