The birth of heavy metal

Sabbath. I wish most of them still sounded like that. Sabbath had some great singers.

You may laugh, but I still think the Rolling Stones started it all, the dirty boy looks, not so sweet lyrics or not just silly love songs, breaking the rules, including satanic stuff in lyrics (Sympathy for devil .....way before sabbath did it ), notorious life styles..drugs....women... etc.. etc......... all with a simple elegant no show off.. no flashy chops drummer!........so amazing to me..... still rocking after 49 years!!

at least they paved the foundation stone.

From the list- Sabbath.

Last edited:
Sabbath - and metal is the silliest genre of music ever created.
Then call me silly. But you're right in that 80-90% of metal is rubbish (that's what my ears are telling me) - as with every genre, the challenge is finding the nuggets. (Although there are genres in which I even don't bother to search...)

Take a listen to Symphony X and you'll see there's quite some parallels to metal and classical music.
E.g. this one - "The Odyssey" (consisting of several parts - here's the full version / 24:08 min):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaN3pwBsRf8
Listen to this song _in full_ and dare tell me metal is 'the silliest genre...' - You won't!

---

Back to topic: Sabbath, without listening to the other bands.

You may laugh, but I still think the Rolling Stones started it all, the dirty boy looks, not so sweet lyrics or not just silly love songs, breaking the rules, including satanic stuff in lyrics (Sympathy for devil .....way before sabbath did it ), notorious life styles..drugs....women... etc.. etc......... all with a simple elegant no show off.. no flashy chops drummer!........so amazing to me..... still rocking after 49 years!!

at least they paved the foundation stone.

From the list- Sabbath.
Yes I am laughing. :)

Last edited:
Difficult to say. Would go with Black Sabbath. To me, all music's gotta have some semblance of melody in there somewhere.. Though Steppenwolf uttered "heavy metal thunder". Rolling Stones were closer to Glam than Metal.

Ultimately, probably Sabbath, Pol. But there's little doubt they in turn were influenced by the heavier elements of the Amimals, Hendrix, Cream, Steppenwolf.......plus a host of others.

I have an interview with Chas Chandler here somewhere where he says the first time he heard the term "heavy metal" used was in reference to Jimi's guitar playing. Whilst it's not "metal" as we know it now, obviously there were sounds there that were later advanced, developed and built upon. Zepp had early metal elements there, as did Purple....but I'd probably hand it to Sabbath as the band that created something more identifiable to what we know today.

The more difficult question to pinpoint is probably not where has metal come from.....but where the hell is it headed? It's fracturing itself into so many bloody sub genres, soon there'll be nothing left. ;-)

You may laugh, but I still think the Rolling Stones started it all,

They were the counter to the supposed niceties of the Beatles. In that way they certainly started an attitude that has been copied by rock (including punk and metal) bands for decades. You've only gotta have a look around to see..........bands are still trying to copy that swagger of the Stones to this very day.....they may not know it, but that's what they're doing.

Yes I am laughing. Just like every time I see them play. Yuck!

It's official. You have NO taste!

I don't know anyone who doesn't like the Stones...........I don't wanna know anyone who doesn't like the Stones. :)

Absolutely, without question, Black Sabbath.

& DMC, although I dislike most metal stuff, & especially that produced in the last 30 years, there was some great genre formation material with much to offer. I characterise the stuff I find of value to be "pre double bass pedal"! Listen to some of Simon Phillips's early stuff (he was 16) with Judas Priest.

Ultimately, probably Sabbath, Pol. But there's little doubt they in turn were influenced by the heavier elements of the Amimals, Hendrix, Cream, Steppenwolf.......plus a host of others.

I have an interview with Chas Chandler here somewhere where he says the first time he heard the term "heavy metal" used was in reference to Jimi's guitar playing. Whilst it's not "metal" as we know it now, obviously there were sounds there that were later advanced, developed and built upon. Zepp had early metal elements there, as did Purple....but I'd probably hand it to Sabbath as the band that created something more identifiable to what we know today.

The more difficult question to pinpoint is probably not where has metal come from.....but where the hell is it headed? It's fracturing itself into so many bloody sub genres, soon there'll be nothing left. ;-)

They were the counter to the supposed niceties of the Beatles. In that way they certainly started an attitude that has been copied by rock (including punk and metal) bands for decades. You've only gotta have a look around to see..........bands are still trying to copy that swagger of the Stones to this very day.....they may not know it, but that's what they're doing.

It's official. You have NO taste!

I don't know anyone who doesn't like the Stones...........I don't wanna know anyone who doesn't like the Stones. :)

Sorry never been a crowd follower. Listen with my ears not my eyes. :)
Oh, and I have met many people that don't like the stones. We probably hang with a different crowd. Mine are usually sober. :p
The only person I see emulating Mick is Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. The guy we all laugh at. :)
What you call swagger, I call stagger! OUCH! :)

The only person I see emulating Mick is Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. The guy we all laugh at. :)
What you call swagger, I call stagger! OUCH! :)

He's actually impersonating Keith Richards. As much as I despise those films (they are terrible) Keith Richard's appearance in the third one did raise a chuckle.

The Stones are local boys. Keith and Mick are from a town a couple of miles down the road.

He's actually impersonating Keith Richards. As much as I despise those films (they are terrible) Keith Richard's appearance in the third one did raise a chuckle.

The Stones are local boys. Keith and Mick are from a town a couple of miles down the road.
Darn! You are right! Ooops. How do you do an embarrassed face on here.

You guys are just jealous because I am going to see Gavin Harrison on Monday night at a drum clinic. Can't wait! :)

Back