The Bird

Hi!

one thing i noticed is that your stick in your left hand is resting on your middle knuckle, try getting it to rest on the very last knuckle (the one with the fingernail) on your ring finger. Other than that your form looks pretty good, the only thing i would work on is like the title suggests, your middle finger is a little out of control. Just slowly work on bringing it in a little bit and making is "parallelish" to the stick. its not going to be perfect, itl stick off a little always but thats expected and considered "right". Its not a big problem just something to maybe think about when you practice.

one thing i noticed is that your stick in your left hand is resting on your middle knuckle, try getting it to rest on the very last knuckle (the one with the fingernail) on your ring finger.

I've seen this a lot. My stick sits in the middle of the two knuckles as well, and not the cuticle, that seems to be the "recommended" way......played trad that way for years......as has my old man who taught me.

What's the difference? Given that the control actually comes from the fulcrum between the thumb and edge of the palm and the ring finger is really only there to support the stick (as opposed to providing any control over it), does it really matter that much? Keen to hear from any of the teachers that care to chime in on this too.

Sorry for the mini hijack, but it is pertinent to the advice given in this thread I guess.

(I dont know how to quote -_-)

well the only difference that i know of other than personal taste is that once you get into the hang of the stick resting on your last knuckle is that the "flipping the bird" thing goes away entirely. And to ME at least the hand looks a little more relaxed and natural and a little less "claw like". I think its all just a matter of who taught you, because the person that taught me traditional taught me to rest on third knuckle, and when i would watch him drum thats how i would see it played, so i guess im just inclined to like sticks when they rest on the third knuckle more. So for control its like you said, but for looks, at least for me, it looks better to have it rest on the third knuckle, which is why i mentioned it for ted who is concerned about the appearance of his left hand. But for major differences in playing style ect. i dont think there are any.

Back