The Big Kits vs. Small Kits Debate

S

sticks4drums

Ya, but what about me? I am an average drummer on a big kit! :)

Good points there Andy. Someone recently thought I should be a great drummer, because I had a big kit. I just like big kits. I love toms! :)

topgun2021

Gold Member
You can spend the big bucks on a large kit when you have the money and just not use some drums to create a small kit.

You have to spend spend time finding other drums that match (if you like having matching drums) and money to get the drum, which may be a pain if you are financially hurting at that point and time.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
You can spend the big bucks on a large kit when you have the money and just not use some drums to create a small kit.

You have to spend spend time finding other drums that match (if you like having matching drums) and money to get the drum, which may be a pain if you are financially hurting at that point and time.
I bought my first pro-level kit (DW in 10/12/14/16/22 configuration) with this same idea: I could use whichever toms I felt fit the music better, and however many of them I needed. I have yet to come across a situation where I NEED more than a rack tom and a floor tom. Heck, I have yet to play a gig where my 12/14/20 setup wouldn't suffice. But, then again, I don't intend to play in a Rush or Dream Theatre cover band any time soon...