The best three drum pedals of all time.

I've been happy using the DW5000 for 30+ years. No issues. The DW9000 is too complicated. 😉
Never tried a Camco. I'd like to.
Currently I'm using a PDP Boa which is actually very good indeed.

I only have two favorites. The Speed King and the DW 7000. Both have served me well over the years.

I have the DW 7000 single chain now the 3000. Very good pedal. Probably one of the best values for the money around. I originally bought it for an e-kit but now use it a lot for my acoustic set ups.

1) Camco/Tama pedal. Tama added the sprocket and chain mod. originally thought up by Albert “Al” Duffy (patent date 1974). Full story here: https://drummagazine.com/history-of-the-camco-chain-drive-drum-pedal/

2) Ludwig Speed King. Innovative direct drive AND long board option. Patent date 1938.

3) Double pedal shared Sleishman/Zalmer Twin/Camco/Tama Twin And this is not so much a "best" as it is a "best concept".

Sleishman double pedal. Invented 1968. Patent date 1971. Not so much that "everyone" went out and bought THIS pedal, but a lot of people have bought the "double-pedal" in concept. And I believe this is the first production double-pedal. History here: http://www.sleishman.com/about-sleishman/company-history/

The Zalmer Twin (Patent 3742806) as best I can tell, came out in 1973 (production). It has the more conventional main/slave pedal design. So close a development timeline ...... Sleishman and Zalmer were probably not even aware of each others work.

Tama took their Camco by Tama single ..... added the "popular as we know it" drive shaft/universal joint slave unit ..... and as they say "the rest is history". This happened a good 8/9 years after the Sleishman/Zalmer. Was Tama influenced by Sleishman/Zalmer pedals? Don't know.

Attachments

• camco 2.jpg
    camco 2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 11
  • speed king 3.jpg
    speed king 3.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 12
  • zalmer twin 1973.jpg
    zalmer twin 1973.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 14
  • camco double pedal.jpg
    camco double pedal.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Ok,

DW-MDD's
DW9000/9002's
DW5000.

1) Camco/Tama pedal. Tama added the sprocket and chain mod. originally thought up by Albert “Al” Duffy (patent date 1974). Full story here: https://drummagazine.com/history-of-the-camco-chain-drive-drum-pedal/
Given the time I spent modifying and upgrading the Camcos I bought this year, I can fully agree. I played my Iron Cobra Rolling Glide for over 10 years before trying out a Camco. Now I never want to go back. I hope eBay never runs out of supplies for stripping them, finding a single replacement chain seems impossible nowadays.

See, I never even heard of that. Most successful design ever.
Looks like a Speed King with a strap. Tama made their King Beat pedal like this with just a beefier tower.

Some designs just never get old.

There are still two missing. Otherwise it doesn't count.
Agreed for the Dyna Sync, only one I could identify efficiency despite my los for connection in my calves after my back home accident and sorry, not into drums long enough to add any second or third....

A lot of y'all haven't tried the Yamaha FP9C and it shows. :D

I'm going to say:
1. Yamaha FP9C-- a pedal that takes everything that makes the Yamaha 7210 the king of cheap bass drum pedals and turns it into a sleek, elegant, adjustable pedal. It's simple, intuitive, extremely well-built, and just overall incredible. Once I can afford a second one of these, they'll be all I play.
2. Yamaha 7210 -- the pedal I've used for most of my professional career. I still have two.
3. Insert your favorite here -- I've owned DW 5000, 7000, and 9000, a number of Tama pedals, the Sonor Perfect Balance, and a number of other "famous" pedals but I'll stick with the Yamahas.

Back