The best drums in the world!!!

TWerner

If you are arranging it, I'm in on the pool to get him a little kit and some sticks to supplement the cool home made set.
Todd

PeteN

Silver Member
To see that kind of effort and willingness to play?

Humbled for sure!

Would love to find out who this kid is and get donations going towards a proper drum kit for this little guy.

StickIt

Now that's inspiring. I don't know if I've ever had to make such an effort...it makes all of that GAS sound like hot air!

I'm in too.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
If you are arranging it, I'm in on the pool to get him a little kit and some sticks to supplement the cool home made set.
Todd
Anyone who knows me will think that's exactly what I'd do, given the chance. I didn't post this up here for that purpose, more as a reminder of just how lucky most of us are, & as an inspiring reminder of just how much ingenuity there is out there. The old saying, "necessity is the mother of invention" comes to mind.

As far as any possibility of helping this stand up guy is concerned, I wouldn't know where to start. It's not the logistical difficulties, after all, we've done this before. Hell, if we can sneak drum gear into Cuba, we can get it into almost anywhere :) I don't know who this little chap is. I got the picture from a Facebook post, & it wasn't attributed. The photo may even be 15 years old, who knows. I will have a search & see if this photo was issued by an aid agency or something similar. It has a certain quality about it that leads me to believe it's probably not a tourist snapshot.

Until then, let this image warm your heart as much as it should ground you.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
What a truly humbling and grounding image that is.Ignorance is blissful to him,as he doesn't know nor care about anything but what he has.I'm sure that young man is very proud of his kit.

Photo's like that make me angry,that some of the rich in the world can look at an image like,and still sleep at night warmed by their billions of dollars,safely tucked away in off shore accounts.They do nothing to impact the milloins who live in those beyond poor conditions.

Bill Gates it seems is an exception to that rule and donates billions to needy causes.Some celebrities like George Clooney,walk the walk and donate time and money in an effort to impact these problems in a positive way.They use their celebrity and money in a humanitarian way,and for that I applaud them.At the very least,the're giving back.

Another part of the problem is African war lords who steal and control donated food,water,farming equipment and clothing.

Sorry for the rant mods,but that just got under my skin.Fell free to delete my post.....no worries.

Steve B

TWerner

Anyone who knows me will think that's exactly what I'd do, given the chance. I didn't post this up here for that purpose, more as a reminder of just how lucky most of us are, & as an inspiring reminder of just how much ingenuity there is out there. The old saying, "necessity is the mother of invention" comes to mind.

As far as any possibility of helping this stand up guy is concerned, I wouldn't know where to start. It's not the logistical difficulties, after all, we've done this before. Hell, if we can sneak drum gear into Cuba, we can get it into almost anywhere :) I don't know who this little chap is. I got the picture from a Facebook post, & it wasn't attributed. The photo may even be 15 years old, who knows. I will have a search & see if this photo was issued by an aid agency or something similar. It has a certain quality about it that leads me to believe it's probably not a tourist snapshot.

Until then, let this image warm your heart as much as it should ground you.
Hi Andy,

I didn't know when I typed that if you knew who the little guy was, but offered the comment just to show I'd be willing to contribute.

"Rant" aspect of Tamadrm's post aside ;) it does raise a point or two. We would probably need to look into the kid's situation a bit and make sure he'd be safe if we sent him a drum set that cost the same as 6 months of the average local salary. We'd also probably want to shellac the inside of any kit, and avoid wraps, provide durable heads ... I've been thinking about it, and have to say, if you find out who he is and he needs a set to learn on, working on the logistics would be fun.

Todd

Toolate

Platinum Member
Lets talk a little about that kit. The obvious question is what is he using for heads/skins?

Cymbal holder looks like it grew there! Good stuff.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Awesome picture, inspiring, humbling... when you love something that much and you cannot get it or have it, love always win...

What I was complaining about today? ... well as Larry said, perspective... I have nothing really worthy of complaining.

Thanks Andy :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
He looks happy. He might be looked upon as "rich" compared to others his age. I wish I could see his bass drum and especially the foot pedal better. That pic is humbling, refreshing, motivating and inspirational all at the same time. My first impressions were I felt a little sad for him but actually I bet he is as happy with his drums as any one of us. This could be the best part of his life, after his loved ones.