The Best Drum Brands In Order Are????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Gretch kit because I went to a local Guitar center 1 day and a guy was playing a Gretch kit, they sounded amazing, fell in love with them, had to have a Gretch kit. I have heard other kits, they sound amazing also, but that day it was a Gretch, every kit has its kool sound, depending what your looking for.

I also think the drummer has alot to do with it, my first set was a cheap Mapex v series, and the top drummer in the area used them, when he soloed, they sounded amazing for a cheap set, I have seen guitar players, and as long as it was set up and in tune, these guys would wail on them, if your good, doesnt matter.

It's all about personal prefrence. Ofcourse some brands don't offer as good quality drums as others. Like you cant compare Pacific with DW. They offer drums at a totally different price range and different quality. Both are good in their respective areas though.

Probably something very few of us could afford.

In just about any endeavor, there is a cottage industry of elves hiding in a black forest somewhere putting together cost no object jewlery. Sometimes, these folks expand into the public awareness and become major manufacturers. And then they have to establish "custom shop" departments to support artists and folks who want the best they can come up with.

And at that level, every elf has their personality and what they think is right (often very strongly opinionated, as that is what drives them to go against the grain or do things the way they do) and so which of them is best is a matter of opinion and whether you follow a particular elves concept.

In this day of the internet, small cottage folks are more accessible. But even at that, you can't buy a Dumble guitar amplifier unless you are somebody and he decides to make one for you.

1. Gretsch
2. Another Gretsch
3. Yet another Gretsch
4. All of the rest.

Starting to get the point yet???

C'mon, where's the Pearl love, guys? D:

i understand your point completely... but lars ulrich kinda sucks

He does'nt "suck" IMO... He is just a different vibe. He does'nt give a crapp who cares this and that. He made his mark on the early stuff with a super cool vibe/rhythm, and that is all that matters.

He has definitely lost some of his groove over time though, but I don't think he is too concerned.

He does'nt "suck" IMO... He is just a different vibe. He does'nt give a crapp who cares this and that. He made his mark on the early stuff with a super cool vibe/rhythm, and that is all that matters.

He has definitely lost some of his groove over time though, but I don't think he is too concerned.

As a youngster growing up in Melbourne in the mid 80's....EVERYONE who played metal wanted to be Lars!!
Sad that his earlier efforts are totally dismissed by a new generation. They had some great tracks on those first 3 or 4 albums and at the time, I'd not heard drumming that ferocious before. Lars and Lombardo were the two reasons every young drummer I knew, raced out and got double kicks or pedals.

Now as for drum brands......Give me a set of Ludwig Classic Maples or Gretsch New Classics and I'll leave you to occupy the remaining places with whatever you choose.

Obviously this discussion is going in the way of rating drum makers in order, but I will instead attempt to rate the BRANDS in order.

for example obviously (or arguably) a bugatti is better than a ford, but FORD is a better brand than bugatti.

best drum BRANDS top 10:

ludwig probably the most recognized brand in drums soley because of ringo starr, not to mention their drums are used widely in education. "the most famous name in drums"

pearl another huge brand in education/marching plus a huge endorser list and the massive popularity of the pearl export series. they also have better retail placement that any other brand. I can't ever remember walking into a store that didn't have pearl on display for sale same goes with mailorder catalogs. there is ALWAYS picture of a pearl kit for sale.

tama another huge brand with alot of high profile endorsers, widely available, just not in some areas like education as much as pearl.

yamaha probably the biggest "brand name" in the drum game but I would guess alot of average joes don't know they even have a music division. that said they have a huge endorser list, huge in education and marching.

dw the most famous high-end drum makers your average musician who doesn't know anything about drums will go "ooh" over a dw kit just on sight of the logo alone. their brand is very well known.

sonor this is a huge brand in europe and well known worldwide. some highly visible endorsers.

gretsch This is a lesser known brand but ever since KAMAN music got involved with them their products are seen everywhere know in mailorder and in stores, and they have a rich history and one of the most used makers of the jazz era. If you google "drum" gretsch is the first brand website that comes up (not that that means anything, but interesting)

mapex their brand is pretty widely available and I know i've seen their gear in drum corp and several school systems.

premier this brand has fallen off in the states in recent years, I actually never see their stuff anymore but it was very popular through the 90's especially their top of the line kits. I put them on my list because of keith moon, and nicko mcbrain. Easily the most popular british brand.

pdp/pacific I separate this from DW because it is a different "brand". In a short amount of time they have taken over the market for beginner/entry-level sets. Search "drum" on any craigslist and there will be tons of pdp/pacific kits for sale. I see them in most stores and mailorder catalogs too.
Mcbike i Agree with all of the above,well stated IMHO....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back