Personal opinion, of course!

1. DW
2. Pearl
3. Gretsch
4. Yamaha
5. Ludwig
6. Sonor
7. Pretty much everything else to me.

Hello. Sorry to post but I love drums. Over the years I have played many great drums and some not so great. Most high end drums are great, regardless of the brand. There are many small companies making superb drums. Some mates of mine in Australia are building incredible drums using Aussie hard woods and they are amazing. So what really constitutes a great brand? I think the care shown to customers is key. Pearl have a website where their high level employees deal directly with customers. That is great. Others may not offer this but may produce equally, if not better instruments. What is most important is the ability to play. A good player can make a poor kit sound great. I know a drummer in Sydney who has played for 20 plus years. He never worked with a metronome and his time is poor. He has no chops. But he owns 4 high end kits. Which he cannot tune! Now he has started collecting snares. I gave him a metronome which he does not use. I taught him how to tune but he does not bother. Still he buys drums. Sure, own great drums. But practice!

i played a moody kit at a drum show and it was by far the best sounding drum kit ive ever played, hopefully one day they will be bigger because their drums were absolutely great!

so based only on sound not on the best finishes, hardware etc my list would be

1. moody
2. pork pie
3. dw
4. ludwig
5. yamaha
6. sonor
7. gretsch
8. mapex
9. tama
10. pearl

Ive only read the first page, for tis a silly thread unless youve played every drum out there.

but I am surprised at no votes for "Gurus" or "Origin" kits, wheres the love for "keep it simple" and his lovely kits...or for that matter another board member "Brady" and her families "Brady" snares and/ or kits ??

Ive only read the first page, for tis a silly thread unless youve played every drum out there.

but I am surprised at no votes for "Gurus" or "Origin" kits, wheres the love for "keep it simple" and his lovely kits...or for that matter another board member "Brady" and her families "Brady" snares and/ or kits ??
Very kind of you to include us, but the bulk of the thread is from 2010, & origin didn't exist then. Still, very little mention of Craviotto, etc.

At this threads inception....way back in 2010, I'm not sure that Andy and Guru had even had their first waltz let alone laid down together to spawn the Origin series. It was a mere twinkle in his eye.

Although I have no answer for Brady. I guess they just speak for themselves. (fwiw, member "Brady" is a valuable contributor and all round good guy but as far as I know, no relation to the Brady family. Unless of course you're referring to bradydrums, who is indeed a member of the Brady family :))

Yeah me too, really surprised that no one mention Guru Drums. (Maybe because it's an old thread? 2010)

Well for me I'd say...

1. Guru/Craviotto(Can't decide they just simply sound awesome)
2. Gretsch (USA custom just too good)
3. Tama (Mainly course of their B/B kits and SLP snares)
4. Mapex (Mainly Saturns)
5. Ludwig (Mainly due to their snares)
6. Sonor (Fine drums)
7. Yamaha (Really like their Oak Customs)
8. DW (Nice kits but may sound "Tubby" at times)
9. Brady (Fine snares but can be quite pricey)
10. Pearl (Export and their Reference series...rest is meh IMO however I like their pedals)

Yeah, it's an old thread, so new kids on the block are not featured here :)

I played my fare share of kits in my lifetime, from many different brands, and I have to say that many have something very good to offer.

So here's my shot at it...

1. Guru Origin Classic Serie (the best ever sounding kit I ever lay my hands on)

2. Tama (my beloved Artstar II is almost 25 years old, I love it)

3. Sonor (Signature)

4. Gretsch

5. Yamaha (Recording Custom)

6. Premier (Resonator)

7. Ludwig

8. DW

That's it, I cannot say anything else as I haven't played/tried other drum brands, so perhaps my order of preference could be different if I did play them, but it would take some beating to take the #1 spot of the "cappucino" :)

My list is short.

1. The ones you like.
2. The ones you don't like.

In my mind there is a vague list but its hardly worth mentioning since I know how fictitious, biased and inaccurate it is. I have tested lots of high end kits but the environment the kit was in, how I was feeling and playing on the day, its price, tuning, rep and a bunch of other things affected my judgement. I know a good cymbal when I hear one though.

I see drums as in at least 2 catagories. High end/custom drums, and major large production manufacturers.

In the highend: (no order)
Cravioto
Brady
Noble and Cooley
Guru
Origin
Probably some others I don't know about yet

Major manufacturers (no order)
Ludwig
Yamaha
Gretsch
Pearl
Tama
DW
Others

I give high marks to the better offerings from each. I happen to favor N/C, and Ludwig in each catagory.

What ever sound good to you,and not just what's fashionable,or what "everybodys" playing.How DID a nearly 3 year old thread get resurected anyway?

Thuth is.....there is NO best drum company out there.It's a personal choice.And I don't care what your mommy said, so just keep holding your breath and throw yourself on the floor,because you're still funny looking,and your mother dresses you funny.:)

Steve B

1) Jin Bao
2) DXP
3) Sound Percussion
4) Basix
5) CB700
6) DP Percussion
7) Enforcer

Everything else is just crap.

Based on my experience with sound, durability and dependability:

1. Tama
2. Yamaha