The Beauty of the Drum Set

slowrocker

Silver Member
Do any of you have this happen to you? Every time you go into a room with your drums in it, you suddenly want to play. It is like magic that is drawing you to play and to come make music. I may be the only one, and I may be crazy, but I cannot hardly look at my drum set without wanting to play it...

Do any of you have this happen to you? Every time you go into a room with your drums in it, you suddenly want to play. It is like magic that is drawing you to play and to come make music. I may be the only one, and I may be crazy, but I cannot hardly look at my drum set without wanting to play it...

I feel this also sometimes, but not always. Some drum sets are just hideous. Of course I think mine are beautiful.

yup pretty much any half good kit, and if I haven't played for a few days even a bad one is alright haha. I think its just something inside most drummer who really enjoy playing to want to be behind the kit not just looking at it. Most drummers including my self have less time then they would like too cause family, neighbors,jobs and other common things to practice so I think its natural if you want something to be drawn to it.

Nice to see a fellow oklahoman here slow rocker!

The kit that i had didn't really look good to me :( but I have had this happen to me even when looking at other peoples sets. But when I get the chance to get a kit again, I know I'll want to play it WITHOUT even seeing it!

My kit is sitting just over my right shoulder....staring at me. I don't dare look at it right now. I'll have to play it and my daughter's having a nap. She hates when I wake her up.

I don't always feel this way as I practice and play alot lately and some days I have to tease out the creativity and inspiration. I actually like playing just about any kit though, cheap ones and kits I've never played. It's always interesting exploring the different sounds and feels because it really affects the way I play. And it's fun making a clunky, crappy kit into a musical contraption. A good drummer can make any kit sound good.

I get the urge to play every time I walk into my man shack! I love to practice and play my kit, I love to improve and my long practice hours allow me to make my drums sound better and better as I progress!

Its the same way a motorcycle beckons to be ridden. My brother is a Harley rider and he always says that anytime he looks at his bike he has an urge to get on it and ride.

Yes I do, I find my kit beautiful... and yes, the drums invites me to play every time... and every time I feel obliged to do so :)

Count me in as one of the possessed. I can't walk by my drums or cymbals without at least tapping on them.

Drums definitely beckon me. Sometimes I just sit and look at them. It's very satisfying to have a studio where I can play at anytime. It was one of my goals to have that.

No matter where I go, if I see a drum kit acoustic or electronic, I want to play it. It's in my blood.

Dennis

I am the same way about itching to play my drums whenever I see them, but there are many other things that make me want to play. Almost always, while I listen to music or watch musical video footage whether instructional or performance, I want to go and play my drums right away. Visiting this forum usually results in wanting to play. It is one of the reasons why I like this place so much - it provides inspiration besides insight.

Also as Larry said, sometimes I enjoy just sitting there and looking at them even if I can't play at that particular time. I cannot pass by my drums without taking a long yearning and proud look at them! It is a good thing to actually love the tools of your trade. I wonder if tradesmen are the same way with their tools - if any of them stare at their drills and hammers with loving gazes :) Or other artists: are painters in love with their brushes and tubes of paint?!

Lol I guess you could call me a tradesman. Yea, I never, not once stared at my hammer drill lol. That's sick lol.

Back