The Beatles

SomeBadDrummer

How rarely four individuals connect to form a band with such group and individual talent.

I have often wondered about the Heirarchy within this group.

At the center Paul the eager winsome leader and John the dark omniscient wizard guru, Ringo the confidently proficient yet aloof on skins and George the underrated genius.

They were each so incredibly talented in their own ways, with their individual opinions about the music.
8266AECE-5ACC-46CB-9A4B-C842970FDCA6.jpeg
Who ran things?

opentune

Platinum Member
definitely Paul past 1966. The others were getting dragged into his many ideas and directives ... part of the friction that broke them apart.
George was always my fave, but I would never call him genius.

ToneT

John was the boss until Yoko and Heroin came around. Ringo, I read it somewhere, said that Paul was getting too producer-y for everyone towards the end. John and Yoko adopted this concept that they didn't need to speak anymore because everyone could read their minds, or something along those lines.
I felt that "All Things Must Pass" was the most brilliant work out of all their first solo releases. Just my $0.02.

Chris Whitten

Obviously Paul and John were equal bosses, often they bossed the songs they were personally responsible for. Almost all the songs are either Lennon, or McCartney - the co-writer thing was just an agreement between them. The Geoff Emerick book is a fabulous read.

pocket player

Some bad drummer, no disrespect to your post, but they gave me my first,most deepest passon's ,Music And DRUMS. I dont want to mix business with pleasure . I M O

prokofi5

I always thought Family Guy captured Ringo's place in the band hierarchy pretty well. I think they were all remarkable musicians, but it was definitely the Paul and John show right or wrong.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
although all writing credits were Lennon-McCartney, even Yesterday which Lennon had nothing to do with. Even after John's death Yoko refused to let Paul change it to McCartney- Lennon.

cbphoto

Gold Member
The Beatles’ session notes from Abbey Road is a favorite of mine. Lotsa dysfunction happened during the White Album sessions.

9780517570661-us.jpg

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I think what made the Beatles what they were was that all 4 could write and sing (even if it wasn't equal talent across the board).

What tore them apart was they could all write and sing.

Everyone wanted to be in charge to an extent, and that just doesn't work long term.

SomeBadDrummer

I think what made the Beatles what they were was that all 4 could write and sing (even if it wasn't equal talent across the board).

What tore them apart was they could all write and sing.

Everyone wanted to be in charge to an extent, and that just doesn't work long term.
This is a great observation. I suppose this is why all great bands fall apart after achieving success unless some other outside force (such as death of a member) intercedes. Everyone wants to be king.

Bozozoid

I've got friends (musicians) that dissect everything Beatles..under the microscope things with a degree in Beatleoligy. They lose me a lot. All's I know is that MAN..i like that band.

Benthedrummer

Their legacy is immense.

Their whole being has now been a reference for many in the community for decades.

This documentary sounds interesting as it will be my first attempt to understand them a little better.

But I have never liked them.

But so much benefit has been gained in the music industry from those lads.

Chris Whitten

It wasn't four people fighting for power, it was two. George was comprehensively pushed to the outer and Ringo was just happy to play drums.
The tension was always there between Lennon and McCartney.
I think the biggest thing that split the band was the pressure of being the absolute trailblazers. They were the first to do everything we now accept as normal in the music industry. All the time the establishment was pushing against them. It was a tough place to be and I think they just got tired of the battles.