The Beatles.

jimb

So after 50 years I finally get it following on from the 15 top drummers and Ringo etc. I've just heard Rubber Soul and Revolver for the very first time.....yep Ive lived a quiet life. To say I'm blown away is the biggest understatement ever said by anyone. Its like christmas and a lottery win all rolled into one, extraordinary.

I deeply love The Beatles - but I just don't think they're an album band.
SO many epically brilliant songs - but the albums sound thrown together and the cracks filled with shameless 'filler'.
I was baffled by the tinny production on Revolver too - I posted about it online and apparently the radios of the time couldn't handle bass.

Last edited:
The Who? Never heard of them. These rascals should get a hair cut and stop swaying their hips so much.
And what's up with that constant stick playing on the closed Hi Hat? Wrong!

So after 50 years I finally get it following on from the 15 top drummers and Ringo etc. I've just heard Rubber Soul and Revolver for the very first time.....yep Ive lived a quiet life. To say I'm blown away is the biggest understatement ever said by anyone. Its like christmas and a lottery win all rolled into one, extraordinary.
While writing material for Rubber Soul, the Beatles had a few more concert dates to play. Once those dates were fulfilled, they became a studio band and, with Sir Martin’s help, began exploring sounds and trying out different recording techniques. Those two albums were kinda like workshops for their run-up to Sgt. Pepper’s.

BigDrew said:
Oh man, wait until you hear Abbey Road and the White album. I was late to the Beatles too. I started learning how to play bass and basically learned by playing Rage Against the Machine and the Beatles.
I can remember hearing yellow submarine when I was 11 and I reckon that's what put me off them then the Punk thing happened it was def no more Beatles for me. Tho for what it is YS is still a brilliantly written novelty song.
Reckon this has to be the most positive mid life crisis ever...haha

Birthday - The Beatles' version is still the most popular birthday song and I play it almost every gig.

When I think of how great Ringo is, several things usually occur to me: as mentioned, his absolutely kickass drumming on "Long Tall Sally," his unprecedentedly orchetral pattern on "Come Together"...and his surreally unusual and tasteful drumming on "In My Life," where he doesn’t play quarter-notes or eighth-notes on the hi-hat, as would virtually every other drummer in the world. Instead he merely hits the hi-hat once per measure, just before the 4. So unusual, so tasteful, so perfect. Not difficult, obviously, just rare beyond words, and yet absolutely ideal for the song. What other drummer would have thought of that, and then had the restraint to actually play it?

There has never been a band or whatever you call them with as much impact on music and yes, lifestyle as the Beatles. The chemistry is beyond explanation. I saw them at their final American concert 54 years ago at Candlestick Park San Francisco, and can't believe that I'm still talking about them to this day. I'll even venture to say that they will still be talked about in 200 years. The music they made is classic, like Mozart, Beethoven, Tchiakovsky, Schubert, Debussy, and the list goes on. I am extremely grateful to have been a part of this generation.

There has never been a band or whatever you call them with as much impact on music and yes, lifestyle as the Beatles. The chemistry is beyond explanation. I saw them at their final American concert 54 years ago at Candlestick Park San Francisco, and can't believe that I'm still talking about them to this day. I'll even venture to say that they will still be talked about in 200 years. The music they made is classic, like Mozart, Beethoven, Tchiakovsky, Schubert, Debussy, and the list goes on. I am extremely grateful to have been a part of this generation.
Well Said john

I can remember hearing yellow submarine when I was 11 and I reckon that's what put me off them then the Punk thing happened it was def no more Beatles for me. Tho for what it is YS is still a brilliantly written novelty song.
Reckon this has to be the most positive mid life crisis ever...haha
Ringo had a remarkably warm and affable voice I think. And more hits after the Beatles than any other member if I remember right.

Meh, McCartney is awful full of himself. They never did anything for me, The Who and Stones are worlds more interesting.
Edit: I do love Ringo however ?

Last edited:
I always thought he had a decent voice myself also, I never understood the meme that he couldn't sing

Yeah, Ringo's a pretty decent singer. In fact, you read their interviews, and one of the reasons why John, Paul, and George loved him so much was because "oh my god, he's a singing drummer!" That was a big part of his appeal back in the day. And in their concerts, the "Ringo song" was a major showcase. Girls would go apeshit!

Meh, McCartney is awful full of himself. They never did anything for me, The Who and Stones are worlds more interesting.
My old boss was stationed (during the Cuban Missile Crisis, amongst other times) on an aircraft carrier. He said absolutely everyone on board despised the pilots, who were just such arrogant bastards. But once a month, you could sign up to do a ride-along, and my boss figured, what the hell, when else was he going to get the chance to do something like that? So he did. And he said after that one flight, he completely understood why they were so arrogant: because they could do something incredibly difficult that few other humans could. My own personal experience with surgeons bears this out: have unfortunately had reason to meet many, found almost all of them to be incredibly arrogant, and able to do absolutely extraordinary things.

So while I don't actually agree that McCartney's full of himself, I'd say he has as much right as any living musician to be.

Some of my favorite passages from the brilliant Douglas Adams:
"Night had now fallen on ancient Krikkit... a small group of people... were walking home across the hill towards the town... actually singing a song about how terribly nice everything was... Arthur could almost imagine Paul McCartney sitting with his feet up by the fire one evening, humming it to Linda and wondering what to buy with the proceeds, and thinking probably Essex...

"The middle eight bridge, which would have had McCartney consolidated in Winchester and gazing intently over the Test Valley to the rich pickings of the New Forest beyond, had some curious lyrics.
" —Chapter 12
"From somewhere at the back of the crowd a single voice started to sing a tune which would have enabled Paul McCartney, had he written it, to buy the world." – Chapter 29.

Back