The Beatles - Get Back Documentary

I love the album but it was plagued for years over the Phil Spector involvement.
I don't remember anyone mentioning it until the 'naked' remix was released.
On the 1988/89/90 tour Wix played all the orchestral and choir parts on 'The Iong and Winding Road' and Paul never told him to stop, saying "I've always hated that".

Well shot film often looks gorgeous. The Jackson studio has obviously done a lot to fix any issues, check colours, reduce noise etc.
They had more to fix in the WW1 footage.

25 minutes in and I lost interest and fell asleep. I was inundated with all things Beatles from my mother who was a huge fan. I like some of the music, but I can't sit and watch however many hours that documentary is.

On the 1988/89/90 tour Wix played all the orchestral and choir parts on 'The Iong and Winding Road' and Paul never told him to stop, saying "I've always hated that".

I do recall reading about it in the 1990’s when I read a biography about the band, well before the Naked album was released.

Paul seemed to specifically have an issue with how the The Long and Winding Road was treated though. See below (brutal point 4!! 😂)

I guess only the remaining band members know the full story for 100%

ECB0D4E2-693D-4028-9AB9-FA0A6199C7E2.jpeg

I like some of the music, but I can't sit and watch however many hours that documentary is.
That's the reality of making music. It is mostly boring, mundane.
At one of their landmark anniversaries, Charle Watts was asked what it was like being a Rolling Stone for 25 years. He rolled his eyes and said 1 year of making music and 24 years of hanging around.

All went on behind the scenes along with a lot of other nonsense that was the break up of the Beatles.

There's the letter McCartney sent regarding the mix of the Let it Be album which I thought was superb.

That's the reality of making music. It is mostly boring, mundane.
At one of their landmark anniversaries, Charle Watts was asked what it was like being a Rolling Stone for 25 years. He rolled his eyes and said 1 year of making music and 24 years of hanging around.

And I loved that about it. There’s a bit right at the end of the 3rd episode literally on the end credits when they are asking Glyn John’s if they got THE take of Let it Be seconds after finishing it (which turned out to be the actual one on the record) and John Lennon is screaming that he wants to get off the bass as he’s bored.

Nothing matches that feeling when you’re waiting to find out if a take matches your expectations, when you all just ‘know it’

I love the, sometimes, monotonous environment of the studio, countless hours hearing the same sections played over and over again either playing or sat in the control room and analysing every note or hit so for me this series was an absolute treat.

It had dull moments of course (mostly in the Twickenham period) just observing the studio process but many insightful and funny moments too.

I may even watch it all over again!

Last edited:
I hope Mr Jackson will go into detail about the condition of the source material and their restoration process at some point.

It was shot on 16mm, but was then "printed" to 35mm for the theatrical release. The film that a theater receives from the studio is referred to as a "print". The film that they used for the shoot was a negative film so it had to be "printed" onto another special type of film to make it a positive suitable for editing and viewing. If they took the original 16mm negatives, printed them to 35mm and did all of the editing for the Let It Be movie on those first generation "prints", then the original negatives, if they were stored properly, should be in excellent condition today. I believe Jackson worked from those original negatives.

For context, the show the Walking Dead was shot in 16mm and it looks great in full HD. Tons of TV and theatrical movies have been shot on 16mm.

Just seen this insight from Peter Jackson

So i started watching the 2nd ep last night (I'm taking it in small chunks) and Ringo kills me.. he's just sitting there quiet listening to every one as are working out words to get back.. then BAM.. theres the beat just out of no where pretty much instantly.. killin me.
It's interesting that in a live situation when the drummer starts a song, the others have no choice but to join in...or let a drum solo happen.

Paul made his own bed with "Silly Love Songs," "Uncle Albert" and "Ebony and Ivory" with Michael Jackson. It was pretty clear during Ep. 1 that he was determined to not get tagged with the responsibility of breaking up the Beatles. I love McCartney and, in retrospect, Lennon would probably have done more stuff we don't like if his post-Beatles work pace came anywhere near McCartney's.

John added a bit with his "the sound you make is muzak to my ears". But John was just as muzaky at times.

All that sort of thing in music is really detrimental. In reality, it sort of takes courage to do whatever you want even if some dopes think it's not macho or cool enough. There has been almost no genre that McCartney hasn't done....you could listen to just his music and get a taste of most every style for the last hundred years (plus classical). Most people trudge along in one tiny box.

Never cared for John too much. Quick wit, articulate, great writer and so on but to me a bit of a bully, and on the whole quite insecure. Ironically he became all about peace and love. I do remember watching the original Let it Be movie and thinking without a doubt Paul was the musical genius if any of them. It truly showed post-Beatles.

I think John is just as much of a genius. They all were, really. And even George Martin and the engineers tapped into their own respective genius.

Even this movie, which was sort of a ramshackle, it ends up being another chapter of genius because the 4 were simply somehow magical together.

I think John is just as much of a genius. They all were, really. And even George Martin and the engineers tapped into their own respective genius.
Set aside for just a moment his work with the Rolling Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin and even the Eagles, Eric Clapton and the Clash—the fact that Glyn Johns recorded the album first in cavernous Twickenham, and then a cobbled-together makeshift basement studio, and then a city rooftop in winter, and it came out sounding as great as it did, should be proof all by itself that he was an engineering genius.

I do recall reading about it in the 1990’s when I read a biography about the band, well before the Naked album was released.

Paul seemed to specifically have an issue with how the The Long and Winding Road was treated though. See below (brutal point 4!! 😂)

I guess only the remaining band members know the full story for 100%

View attachment 111046

The thing I always thought was sort of odd is that while Paul had a problem with it, all he wanted were those adjustments. Seems if he really disliked it, he could have canned the whole thing. If he wants them to go back and remix it, why not say, "remove all that stuff".

I will never criticise The Beatles or McCartney….especially not McCartney, because i believe that the guy almost on his own changed popular music into what we consider pop music now..

That said, i never really cared to listen to them…only own Revolver and The Anthology dvd set….because they are not really sounding nice to my ears…never cared for Starkey’s playing too…but again, outstanding songs for that period in time…no question about that…

Allthough, lets agree that Let It Be (the song that is), is really one big drag….actually, i would say on the whole record I’ve Got A Feeling and Get Back are the only songs that still had a little an “edge” to them…

But thats just taste, nothing more than that..

The Rolling Stones still exist and tour- and if there were some global blackout Yesterday then The Beatles wouldn’t even exist today. So “Get Back” indeed.

Back