The Beatles - Get Back Documentary

George really didn't have the goods as a song writer until the last couple of albums which may have had something to do with him having to assert himself to be taken seriously.

Does anyone know what cymbals Ringo was playing? This is a drum forum after all lol.

He was playing Zildjian A's afaik
By 1969, Let it Be, the left side is a Paiste 602 pre serial, red label 'medium ride', very new. Before that an Arbiter Paiste. Right side cymbals were sometimes a Zyn, Zilco or Zildjian 18. Some of the hats are mismatched, Paiste 602 bottom with something else on top.
Saw this well documented on another forum, pics and all in time sequence.Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.26.42 PM.png

Last edited:
It's brilliant

I love that Peter Jackson didn't dumb it down for the consumption of the casual watcher ... he left it all in there and gave you that true "fly on the wall" access.

This puts the entire "Yoko broke up the Beatles" thing to bed.

Billy Preston was the absolute glue and lifted the entire room as soon as he walked in.
He was an absolute game changer.

Among my favorite parts.
-The very candid conversation between Paul and John that only audio was captured of right before leaving Twickenham
-The conversation right before that between Paul, Ringo, Neil, etc etc about how Yoko being there was no big deal and Paul says... "It's going to be such and incredible sort of comical thing like in fifty years time ya know ... they broke up cus Yoko sat on an amp"... prophetic !
-A short shot of Ringo and John walking with their arms around each other into the control room to listen back to a take of Dig A Pony early on at the Apple building.

This movie is truly groundbreaking with access that almost feels invasive for the viewer at times ... that's how intimate it is.

It really leaves me with this feeling of ... wow, they were just some guys in a band... when you boil it down past the immeasurable brilliance... having conversations and disagreements that we've all had when in those situations.

Think about this ... not one of them was 30 when The Beatles broke up ... think about that!!!

Just finished watching it today (in very small segments over the past several days). Incredibly interesting. A must see.

To be frank my favorite three things are as follows:
First, seeing Billy Preston and his contribution to their creativity and music. MG1127 is absolutely correct: Billy was a game changer for the Beatles. The right guy at the right time in the right place.
Second, seeing Glyn Johns at work as the recording engineer was fascinating.
Third, this will be my only opportunity to see and experience the (then) newly opening Apple Recording Studio.

From my pops - I absolutely love Wings, more so than the Fab Four!
Passed some of that juju to my now adult daughter who as a toddler still LOVES “Wonderful ChristmasTime”.

“What is Life” by George Harrison is also one of my favorite top 20 songs.

Lennon’s solo stuff is not as personally captivating to me - though it was ok.

I’d even say Ringo’s “The No No Song” and “Photograph” is more memorable to me.

It's brilliant

I love that Peter Jackson didn't dumb it down for the consumption of the casual watcher ... he left it all in there and gave you that true "fly on the wall" access.

This puts the entire "Yoko broke up the Beatles" thing to bed.

Billy Preston was the absolute glue and lifted the entire room as soon as he walked in.
He was an absolute game changer.

Among my favorite parts.
-The very candid conversation between Paul and John that only audio was captured of right before leaving Twickenham
-The conversation right before that between Paul, Ringo, Neil, etc etc about how Yoko being there was no big deal and Paul says... "It's going to be such and incredible sort of comical thing like in fifty years time ya know ... they broke up cus Yoko sat on an amp"... prophetic !
-A short shot of Ringo and John walking with their arms around each other into the control room to listen back to a take of Dig A Pony early on at the Apple building.

This movie is truly groundbreaking with access that almost feels invasive for the viewer at times ... that's how intimate it is.

It really leaves me with this feeling of ... wow, they were just some guys in a band... when you boil it down past the immeasurable brilliance... having conversations and disagreements that we've all had when in those situations.

Think about this ... not one of them was 30 when The Beatles broke up ... think about that!!!
Thanks MG ,YOU said it all !!

Complete BeaTles freak and I own almost everything they have produced. Several books as well. I have not seen this documentary yet but will. I always considered Paul to be the backbone of the group, Ringo just wanting to drum and have fun, George very much into exploring and wishing for peace and tranquility, but John was always looking to pick a fight or try to push his political views on the world. They had a magic about them, and broke up at about the right time.

Complete BeaTles freak and I own almost everything they have produced. Several books as well. I have not seen this documentary yet but will. I always considered Paul to be the backbone of the group, Ringo just wanting to drum and have fun, George very much into exploring and wishing for peace and tranquility, but John was always looking to pick a fight or try to push his political views on the world. They had a magic about them, and broke up at about the right time.

I hope you enjoy it, i have been a beatles nut since i was bout 7 and this show has changed my view of them as people and a band quite a bit.

If there were 28 documentaries about the Kinks, we would likely have much more appreciation and admiration for the work of the Kinks. Familiarity has a lot to do with why many people like the Beatles so much.

I don't think that's 100% true... i grew up in detroit in the 70's and got bombarded with Zep,ACDC and Nugent non-stop... All 3 i can't stomach for more than bout 5 seconds now, I still listen to beatles all the time just due to the music being soo good.. If it wasn't good people would stop listening or caring bout it :)

I'll have to watch it. Some of the reviews say it's terrible. But they're not musicians. I'm sure we'll find it fascinating. I'm a boomer; my wife is a decade behind. I'll have to watch it while she sleeps.

Just started it. Pretty amazing. I can’t tell if it’s the lighting or the restoration but it looks it was filmed recently. It feels like Jackson went back in time to film them with contemporary equipment.

I love when they unpack Harrison’s 8 track and he’s worried about it being safe in the studio. That thing must have been precious at that time.

I'll have to watch it. Some of the reviews say it's terrible. But they're not musicians. I'm sure we'll find it fascinating. I'm a boomer; my wife is a decade behind. I'll have to watch it while she sleeps.
Same. My wife does her puzzles by a warm fireplace while I sit there glued to the tv. 😆

Back