The amazing thing about the drumkit is...

Our dance makes everyone else dance. No other instrument uses the whole body as much as drumset, we literally do dance to play, and when we are on everyone else connects with our dance.

And if largest range of tuning is your goal pipe organ can't be beat. It can go below human hearing range down to a CCCCCCC (2hz) using some frequency tricks.

The amazing thing about the drumkit is... that they're fun to play. What else is there?

... that they're fun to listen to, that they're fun to watch, that they're a pain to tune properly, that it's a shame they're so expensive, that they're suitable for all styles of music and that I'm totally mad about them. What else is there? :)

... that they're fun to listen to, that they're fun to watch, that they're a pain to tune properly, that it's a shame they're so expensive, that they're suitable for all styles of music and that I'm totally mad about them. What else is there? :)
Oh yeah, guess I left off a couple things. I think you have it pretty well sewn up now :)

Amen to that brother!

The amazing thing about the drumset is how much it has evolved since Chick Webb.

From construction, to size, to the role it plays in music, and it is still evolving.

The amazing thing about the drumkit is...The accomplished "sound" that revolves around the entire world.

...how it can make 8 hours feel like the blink of an eye

I was thinking about out this last week. the infinite set-up possiblilties of a single drum kit. I tried about 30 different cymbals before settling on what I have now. my kit is considered "out of date" what ever. by most people, .but sound-wise, it is what I want exactly. when other drummers come over and play my kit, they say..oh I'd set this over here and this over there. and "why a 13 x 6" snare drum ? it's nice to be able to build your own personal sound.

The amazing thing about the drumkit is ... when someone writes or suggests a new song we don't have to fuss around much, just listen and play along. It's how a lot of us got started.

The amazing thing about the drumkit is... I've been trying to learn the darn thing for 35+ years and I still suck..... Oh well...

That's the "infinite" bit that Groove1 was talking about.

But ... David, if you suck then I must be a black hole!

... that they're fun to listen to, that they're fun to watch, that they're a pain to tune properly, that it's a shame they're so expensive, that they're suitable for all styles of music

Nice summary too. It's also amazing how much setting up and lugging that even a basic kit requires.

Yes, good bit of formative info there Harry.

If we're playing the "finish the sentence" game, I'll chime in with something to annoy Bo;

"having two is better than one" ;)

......I heard that.........

Actually, to annoy Andy and to slightly derail the subject, I went to rehearse with one of Bermuda's bands last night for the first time, and Bermuda showed up to help me out. He was really impressed with my kit (or at least made me feel like he liked it). So take that Andy! That definitely would not have happened if I brought a rehearsal kit! And the band discovered that my mezzo is their forte....so I definitely don't have to work as hard with these drums and have the ability to obliterate whoever I play with. So, since these are the gigging drums, it was good to bring them to the rehearsal to find out ;)

I don't think they're more expensive than most other instruments really. On the contrary
actually. A lot of traditional instruments like those you find in a symphony orchestra are
really expensive (if you want to have good ones).

Agreed, but the drumkit includes several instruments, so anyone who wants to buy anything more than a basic 4 piece kit with a hi-hat and 2 cymbals will have to spend a lot more money to get it together, one good ride cymbal can cost up to 700 euros, some snares are well over the 1500 euros mark, and I'm not even contemplating the collectible snares which can reach silly money in the region of over 10 000 euros, lol.

A top tof the line 6 pieces drumkit with professional cymbals can cost in the region of 8000 to 10 000 euros and if you want to go down the route of buying a kit specially made for you, such as a Guru drumkit, it will also be an expensive trip to your bank account :)

A good saxophone will cost on average 2500 to 3000 euros, I agree that this kind of money could buy a decent complete kit :)

This 7 piece kit from DW cost 8 955 €, hardware and cymbals not included, for those who wish to own one, they'll better have some savings at hand :)

http://www.baguetterie.fr/batteries/dw-collector-graphic-7futs-rally-stripe.html

This 7 piece kit from DW cost 8 955 €, hardware and cymbals not included, for those who wish to own one, they'll better have some savings at hand :)

http://www.baguetterie.fr/batteries/dw-collector-graphic-7futs-rally-stripe.html
and if you want to go down the route of buying a kit specially made for you, such as a Guru drumkit, it will also be an expensive trip to your bank account :)
Actually Henri, you might be quite surprised. I've just calculated our cost compared to that DW. In the same sizes, & allowing for all taxes, our retail price would be a cool 4,000 Euros less than the DW :) :) :) & that's ply (DW) vs. stave or steam bent (Guru).

......I heard that.........

Actually, to annoy Andy and to slightly derail the subject, I went to rehearse with one of Bermuda's bands last night for the first time, and Bermuda showed up to help me out. He was really impressed with my kit (or at least made me feel like he liked it). So take that Andy! That definitely would not have happened if I brought a rehearsal kit! And the band discovered that my mezzo is their forte....so I definitely don't have to work as hard with these drums and have the ability to obliterate whoever I play with. So, since these are the gigging drums, it was good to bring them to the rehearsal to find out ;)
That doesn't annoy me one tiny bit Bo, nor does it surprise me. I'm really pleased for you, really :)

Actually Henri, you might be quite surprised. I've just calculated our cost compared to that DW. In the same sizes, & allowing for all taxes, our retail price would be a cool 4,000 Euros less than the DW :) :) :) & that's ply (DW) vs. stave or steam bent (Guru).

Wow! Andy that's great news and it's for stave or steam bent as well :)) That is stupendous good value, even that, as an example, I've choosen one of DW's most expensive kit available in France, a more "normal" 5 piece Collector's kit with some standard finish still retail for the best part of 5000 Euros, and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga 4 piece kit retail for 3 760 Euros, so your price for the equivalent in Guru's terms will be amazing value in comparison :)

I'll have to seriously think about it if I decide to buy a new kit :)

Are the Guru's prices for maple stave or steam bent? Are other wood species more expensive?

Back