The Amazing Intermediate Kits

Now that I know the pearl is a faux finish, the decision is that much easier. Nothing faux about my kits. :)

the Saturns should be considered a pro kit, even though it isn't Mapex's top-of-the-line

Wow, either Sticks is in a very good mood, or he's very tired, or he didn't see that, or he just doesn't care about defending his precious Saturns !!!!

Two weeks ago that sentence alone would've make Sticks go like this:

425-the-incredible-hulk-033108.jpg

Are you feeling ok man? :)
Haha.

I can only get mad so many times in one week. I am used up for now. :)

They are a pro level kit made by Mapex. This has been my stance all along. On Mapex's own site they say "Saturns sound best". Even they know it is there best sounding kit. :)

thanks for posting this...the pro M went to the top of my wish list a few weeks ago, it's between that and a sonor 3007 maple. but been leaning more toward the pro M. I bought a 13 x7 black panther snare drum last month, and it just blows my mind the sound of it...when I sleep, it sits on the glass table by my bed...so the pro M would be a good fit for me snare.

Pro M is a great line. I bought my church a set and they sounded great in 1000 seat sanctuary with a pro stage. I will say that the wing nuts on the Tom mounts stripped within months of purchase. But shell construction was terrific and the sound was nice and big.

I am surprised no one has mentioned any of Pearl's session series drums. These were some truly impeccable intermediate level drums-edging into pro level with the smx and sbx lines. Stage customs are also fantastic.

So who makes these Mapex drums? Are they a new company? Don't really know anything about them.

Gretsch Renown. probably one of the better maple kits for being intermediate.

Whilst "technically" intermediate, I'd actually rate 'em a shade higher. Hell Grunt, I'm a fan of the Cat maples....they are a good little intermediate kit that offer great value for the money. There's no doubt the Renowns are a big step up again. The only thing that is not "real Gretsch" about the Renowns, is the "Made in Taiwan" sticker that comes with them.

If only we could convince people that many countries outside of the USA are perfectly capable of making quality products, I doubt we'd ever the see Renowns frowned upon for not being "high end" again. ;-)

I think kits like Gretsch Renowns and perhaps even Ludwig Centennials (along with a few others) may deserve their own sub-category......"Upper intermediate" anyone??

Whilst "technically" intermediate, I'd actually rate 'em a shade higher. Hell Grunt, I'm a fan of the Cat maples....they are a good little intermediate kit that offer great value for the money. There's no doubt the Renowns are a big step up again. The only thing that is not "real Gretsch" about the Renowns, is the "Made in Taiwan" sticker that comes with them.

If only we could convince people that many countries outside of the USA are perfectly capable of making quality products, I doubt we'd ever the see Renowns frowned upon for not being "high end" again. ;-)

I think kits like Gretsch Renowns and perhaps even Ludwig Centennials (along with a few others) may deserve their own sub-category......"Upper intermediate" anyone??

I believe every company has drums that can be classified as "upper" or "lower" in each catagory, some even cross over from one to the other. Renowns could be either upper intermediate or lower pro models, same as the Mapex Saturn series. There are many that can be split in their classifications. Another that comes to mind is the Tama Superstars or Starclassic birch/bubinga drums. A lot of times it's really not the pro, intermediate and beginners labels themselves, but where a particular series stands within the confines of all the kits produced by that one same manufacturer. As everyone knows, great sounds can come from any well made kit with the proper head selection, tuning and of course the player.

BTW, another term that I hear a lot and comes to mind is "semi".

Dennis

Last edited:
I consider intermediate features:

- good tone woods like birch or maple, not poplar or basswood, but lower grade woods (asian maple instead of american)
- lacquered finishes
- 8-lug bass drums and snares instead of 10
- Lower grade hardware, flimsy hoops
- Lower grade heads from factory (like Remo UX, UT..)
- etc.

So what's you opinion??
I have a kit that almost fits this bill. The hardware and hoops are sturdy but the rest of the description is spot on.

IMG_1347.jpg

So who makes these Mapex drums? Are they a new company? Don't really know anything about them.
Hey buddy. Found some info for you.

KHS Musical Instruments Co., Ltd was founded in Taiwan in 1930 as an educational products company, and gained success in the 1950s as a producer of musical instruments. Currently KHS is a full-scale musical instrument manufacturer of a complete line of wind instruments, percussion, fretted instrument, and stand products. KHS was first founded with the Wan Wu (萬屋株式會社) name in Taiwan in 1930 as an educational products company and was renamed to KHS in 1945. KHS stands for Kung Hsue She (功學社) which means a company helping schools and culture. KHS started harmonica production in 1956 and started band instrument production a year later in 1957. By 1980 KHS was a full-scale musical instrument manufacturer and the Jupiter brand was started to market a complete line of wind instruments and percussion. Jupiter is one of the top ten musical instrument brands in the world.[citation needed] In 1985 KHS established the Musix company. KHS established Altus Co., Ltd. to manufacture professional flutes in 1990, and acquired Ross Mallet Instruments in 1994.

Mapex is the factory brand name for drums made by KHS Manufacturing Company. One of only a few drum brands made in its own factory and having its own distribution center in the US. This Distribution and Service Center is located in Nashville, Tennessee. KHS makes all types of percussion as well as fine band and orchestra instruments. KHS craftspeople possess extraordinary knowledge about how quality sound and functions is produced from all types of wood and metal, including precious metals. The sound quality heard from Honduran rosewood used on marimbas made in KHS factories or from Sterling Silver and 14K Gold used in making artist quality flutes are just two examples of a skill that crosses over to Mapex drums and hardware.
Artists who play Mapex drum sets are actively involved in testing new designs and innovations. Their frank comments drive the Research and Development of Mapex products. Mapex drums are more than wood and metallic chambers having other metal parts that tighten a head, they are precision instruments whose tuning and voicing are like no other because of KHS' unique manufacturing capability and our association with the world's top professionals. No matter what music, beat or rhythm they play... drummers are sure to find the sound they want when they choose Mapex drums. Click on the drum icons on the home page. You will see what they mean when they say Mapex is truly "the drummer's other voice."

This is a good article about a tour of the factory if you are still interested. :)

Current endorsers:

Chris Adler - Lamb of God[4]
Aquiles Priester - Angra, Hangar[4]
Gregg Bissonette[4]
Will Calhoun - Living Colour[4]
Tony Coleman - B.B King[4]
Herlin Riley - Wynton Marsalis[4]
John Boecklin - DevilDriver[4]
Nick D'Virgilio - Spock's Beard, Tears For Fears[4]
Juanita Parra - Los Jaivas[4]
Ben Carter - Evile[4]
Anibal De Leon - Panamanian drummer
Paul Judge- Jazz Drummer
Christopher Saldarriaga - The Mellows
Elias Andra = Julien-K, Dead by Sunrise
Chris Pennie - Coheed and Cambria
Timber Creek Independent Dom Famularo
[edit]Past endorsers

Past endorsers :

Carmine Appice early 1990s
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater early 1990s
Billy Cobham early 1990s
Igor Cavalera - Sepultura
Paul Geary - Extreme
Terry Bozzio
Shannon Larkin - Ugly Kid Joe, Godsmack
Mike Terrana - Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony McAlpine, Axel Rudi Pell, Rage, Masterplan
Eddie Bayers - Garth Brooks
Hal Blaine
Jim Brock - Joe Walsh
David Lauser - Sammy Hagar
Scott Mercado - Candlebox
Bobby Schayer - Bad Religion
Danny Schuler - Biohazard
Grady Tate
Butch Trucks - Allman Brothers

Last edited:
Anyone checked out Yamaha's Rock Tour kit?

I currently am playing on one, and it's killer!!
I get so many compliments from other drummers and sound guys at gigs on how it sounds miced up, and I get a LOT of compliments from everyone on the finish...

yeah actually thats a really nice kit too.. freaking huge sound and it's so light... (thank god)

i don't think the meridians are as good as the pro-m's... just something about them that didn't sparkle like the pro-m's... oh well.

blurb about khs/mapex

i heard (at least in australia) that #1 seller of drums is yamaha, followed 2nd by KHS.

yamaha stage custom advantages are also a really good intermediate kit that was discontinued...

Not really interested in anything made in China. But thanks for the info just the same!

Just one point though. KHS is their own company that has been around for almost 100 years. They are not just some factory put together to make things cheaply for companies in other parts of the world. They have been at it for a long time. Much longer than DW. :)

Back