The Amazing Intermediate Kits

millerscapes

Ok.... surely we have all had or played that one non-pro level kit that just amazed us for one reason or another. What was yours???

I love those high end and/or custom drums myself but I have to say that I played a Mapex Pro M Maple and was simply shocked at what you got for under $1000-1200! (It hurts to say but it sounded better, to me, than my HSS era Slings)

This should be interesing..... ;)

By the way, HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!!! Best holiday wished for you all!

Thanks for the response uniin! Have you heard/played the Meridian replacements? I havent had the chance yet so I'm curious if they're still on par with the Pro Ms...

The Meridians are a really nice sounding and looking kit. Hand rubbed lacquer finishes. Very nice hardware.
MeridianMaple.jpg

I picked up a meridian maple about two months ago. The shells are the exact same from the pro m except new and improved hardware. I like my kit. It will sit me for the rest of my life for all I do. Lots of config options as well along with a laquered finish. Mapex 700 series hardware is top notch and sturdy. Look awesome. Thin shells I do believe at 5.8mm for Toms and 7.2 for bass. Beautiful resonance. I'm still using the stock remo ut pinstripes and they sound sweet. They might sound a little different then the pro m since they use rubber gasket on the lugs now along with a rubber grommet inside between the steel washer and screw to avoid metal on metal contact. I was happy with my 5 piece at the cost of 1050 new. That included a boom stand, straight stand, h700 high hat and pedal. 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 22x18 and 10 lug snare at 14x5.5. The meridian birches are about 300 dollars less for the same config but they downed the hardware to 500 series and only 6 lugs on floor Tom vs 8 on the maples. The snare is also only a 8 lug I do believe.

Yeah, the Meridians are really outstanding. I think the design of the suspension mount is superior to anything else out there, and the general fit and finish of the kit is really nice. Plus, they're very responsive to whatever heads I put on them, so it is easy to get whatever sound I'm looking for out of them. And I really like the general look of these kits; Mapex is one of the few that is really going for this level of understated class in their intermediate kits. The lugs, badges, and finish options available all add up to a very classy-looking drumset.

DSCF4960-a.jpg

DSCF4964-a.jpg

I like the Crush Ash Kits. Great sound.

I own a bunch of kits, both newer and vintage, and the mid level kits now days are amazing. I bought a used Meridian Maple bop kit to try and then flip. It turned out to be one of my favorite kits. Mapex builds great drums, excellent fit and finish, and provides a wonderful value. The Meridian series is a great price point.

Attachments

• DSCN1399.JPG
    DSCN1399.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 844
Yeah, the Meridians are really outstanding. I think the design of the suspension mount is superior to anything else out there, and the general fit and finish of the kit is really nice. Plus, they're very responsive to whatever heads I put on them, so it is easy to get whatever sound I'm looking for out of them. And I really like the general look of these kits; Mapex is one of the few that is really going for this level of understated class in their intermediate kits. The lugs, badges, and finish options available all add up to a very classy-looking drum set.

Very nice looking kit buddy.

I own a bunch of kits, both newer and vintage, and the mid level kits now days are amazing. I bought a used Meridian Maple bop kit to try and then flip. It turned out to be one of my favorite kits. Mapex builds great drums, excellent fit and finish, and provides a wonderful value. The Meridian series is a great price point.
Ok, you guys. Cut it out. You are making me want to gets one. Love the cherry and chrome. I need a bigger basement. :)

My kit is Candy Apple Burst, not sure what color Winston Wolf's kit is.
Whatever color they all are they look great. There is a candy apple burst at my local store, and it looks very burgundy, which is one of my favorite colours. I have a street bike that colour and love it.

I'll try td a pic of mine up. Transparent cherry burst. Like the candy apple except you can see the wood grain I think. Might be hard to capture in a picture

Does anyone have any experience with the meridian maple jazz config? Not the bop, but the 20x18, dual rack toms, etc...

i have been playing well over 30 years, i remember when a laquer kit was a grand minimum.

now you can get amazing drums well under that

Back