The 2nd kit you had

One Up One Down

I bought my second kit last year (or was it 2 years ago?) -- Pearl Export 5-piece shell pack 20, 10, 12, 14, 14. An upgrade from a no-name starter kit. I only use one rack tom, and swapped out the snare with an acrolite.

I won the 50/50 draw at work, and that very day Dave's Drum Shop had two of these kits on sale for $300 -- he got them for a steal from (I'm not sure who -- a distributor?) because the packaging was damaged and un-sellable. So he passed on the savings to his customers (because it's fun, he said).

I'm grateful for what I have. Raising 5 kids with a single income has meant that Dad doesn't get the best-quality toys :)

RVN

My second kit was a Ludwig late seventies 6 ply maple natural finish Hollywood with pointy badges, 14x22, 16x16, 9x13 and 8x12. I bought it used as a shell pack in 1982 it came mounted with brand new cheap no-name transparent heads and they threw in a fresh set of Remo Pinstripes in the boxes. I played it mostly with a 1974 Supraphonic. I still have it.

Last edited:

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
My second kit was my first (used Royce) kit from 1979, with new used Ludwig 24" bass drums, hi hat and a "better" throne.
I played that kit for about 10 years in various configurations. I added a couple Pearl toms that matched my Royce toms in the mid-80's.

I didn't get a "brand new" kit until '90.