The "1e-a2-and-ah" Cymbal Ostinato: Independence Exercises

feldiefeld

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
It's a cool one.

For me, I found that just working on groups of 3 and doing that on the ride, accenting the first not of the group really set me up for working on anything like that. Once you're able to hear that, you can experiment with it any way you want pretty easily.

Even if you donæt get to or want to do it that much it's a good exercise. You can even just use it for a couple of bars like Vinnie does on the turn around for the next verse in Seven Days.

With just the two first notes like here, it's a cool effect to accent them a bit more.

SirSwingsAlot

Do not forget about great jazz drummers. Tony Williams can be heard doing this and many more ostinatos on his ride in a jazz combo context! Search. "Tony Williams Drop Catch" to see what I'm referencing. Dave is a beast though!

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Hey Everyone -

I've been working on independence with an interesting cymbal pattern.
Here is the link to an article that I wrote in 1998 and that adresses the same rhythmic ideas.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Additionally, I wrote drum book called Time Manipulation which is a powerful structure to work on the groove in many ways, and that has a whole section on similar rhythmic ideas.

I'm sure you will love it Mark Feldman, let me know if you want to review it on your blog!

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Yes you're right, and my Time Manipulation Drum Book offers a complete solution to work on these concepts in an easy, fun and creative way. See Sections 1 and 7
Yeah, I like to work these things like I do any independence thing. I just substitute these three bars, in this case, for what I'd use a reading page for. It's a great way to get it into your mind and ears, work all your limbs and flow at the same time.

We can take groupings very far, but it's good to limt things before going over the top. I find working on groups of 4 in triplets and groups of 3 in 16ths really worth it as you really work on your time and simple phrasing that would be really useful to anyone.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I was also inspired now to build my own practice arond this.

I often talk about going a bit ostinato heavy with students I can. Not so many bass drum patters. Good long term reasons for that.

My own practice varies a lot, life varies a lot, but I know I'll be able to have a pretty solid routine for a while now.

I'll be using this type of concept + what some call the bass drum pyramid 1 rest 2 rest 3 rest etc... as the limitations of my base work practice for a while.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I was also inspired now to build my own practice arond this.

I often talk about going a bit ostinato heavy with students I can. Not so many bass drum patters. Good long term reasons for that.

My own practice varies a lot, life varies a lot, but I know I'll be able to have a pretty solid routine for a while now.

I'll be using this type of concept + what some call the bass drum pyramid 1 rest 2 rest 3 rest etc... as the limitations of my base work practice for a while.
Try to use my book, since you own it, it's really powerful ;)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Try to use my book, since you own it, it's really powerful ;)
About 6 yards of drum books. :D

Practicing has been sporadic for a couple of years and just zoning in on certain things I didn't necessarily go too deep into, particularly snare work, when I've had some time here and there. Also made this rule that when I sat down behind a kit I would only practice in 5 or 7 and not spend any thought or energy on anything else.

I used to have this big marathon routine I used to do and now I'll have time to do something like that again, it'll just be much more refined.

I have tons of material, but it was nice to pick up a few products and get some ideas, after a month of rest, just to reset my concept again and look at all stuff I've worked on and researched over these years.

It's necessary to have paramenters and these are the starting point.