That notorious Ludwig Acrolite throw off let me down last night

Has anybody drilled holes in their Acrolite for any reason? I could simply make a new hole below the topmost hole and negate this whole issue. I'm not keen to modify the drum this way if it's unadvisable, however.

Assuming that I did make a new hole, what would be the best way to seal the old hole, and would it have much of an effect on the drum?

They are just incorrect on that- it fits most 5" drums, most 6.5" drums, but I have seen issues on both. Just depends on who set up the drill press at Ludwig the day the drum was made. And with our spacers, they will fit nearly any Ludwig.
I really hope Ludwig is raising their standards instead of the "that'll do" approach they've had for so long. China and Taiwan will not be forgiving.

Were that really the case, just about every vintage Acrolite owner would be complaining about this very issue, no?

Maybe Ludwig is locating the holes differently today?

I'll measure mine tonight and post the results. It would be interesting to see if there's a lot of variance between shells.

I don´t quite get it. You said the drum is only a couple of months old. Why don´t you give the P85 another chance (lots of good tips already) instead of killing the resale value by drilling holes? Or at least use the spacers Inde was so kind to send you for their strainer. You´re going a bit overboard ATM, I think. :)

I don´t quite get it. You said the drum is only a couple of months old. Why don´t you give the P85 another chance (lots of good tips already) instead of killing the resale value by drilling holes? Or at least use the spacers Inde was so kind to send you for their strainer. You´re going a bit overboard ATM, I think. :)

Oh, I plan to use the spacers :) Drilling a new hole is just a "Plan B" in the unlikely event that spacers don't help.

I don't think I'll ever be able to trust the P85 so if I can eliminate it as a potential point of failure, I'm all for it.

Update: the spacers did the trick and the drum is now outfitted with the INDe strainer :)

The spacers arrived several days ago (thanks, Josh!) but I performed the swap just yesterday. I had to widen the holes a hair but the installation was otherwise straightforward. The lever's action is silky smooth and the device looks right at home on the drum.

I'm glad to put this whole thing behind me and get back to enjoying the snare the way I knew I would when I bought it. Thanks for everyone's insight and feedback (y)

20191101_125439.jpg

Last edited:
I have a snare drum (not this one) that used to lose tension as the knob slowly unscrewed.

It was cured in 5 minutes by putting a little threadlock (Loctite 243, if you're interested) on the thread.

It still adjusts just fine, but it doesn't slip any more even after many gigs since then.

Just in case that helps...

I have a snare drum (not this one) that used to lose tension as the knob slowly unscrewed.

It was cured in 5 minutes by putting a little threadlock (Loctite 243, if you're interested) on the thread.

It still adjusts just fine, but it doesn't slip any more even after many gigs since then.

Just in case that helps...

Good to know since I have a few snares. Slippage has never been an issue for me before now.

Back