Thank you, Search Function

Magenta

Platinum Member
Thanks to you, dear Search Function, I have found the answers to several questions I had today. Some of them were definitely in the "Numpty" category, but because of your boundless generosity in imparting knowledge, I was spared the embarrassment of asking them in public.

Everyone's a winner!

Yes indeed! Thank you, Science Fiction - er, Search Function - I love the both of you!

In fact, this is one of the best kept secrets of this website.
Oops, I probably shouldn't have said this to keep it confidential ;-)

Arky, whenever I use the, er, Science Fiction I think of you! One of my earliest memories of DW (it was about the time I joined, either just before or just after) is one of your posts suggesting that somebody might like to use it. I have never forgotten that advice, even if occasionally it has slipped my mind.

Arky, whenever I use the, er, Science Fiction I think of you! One of my earliest memories of DW (it was about the time I joined, either just before or just after) is one of your posts suggesting that somebody might like to use it. I have never forgotten that advice, even if occasionally it has slipped my mind.

What's great is that if anyone ever uses the search function for "Search Function", your thread will be number one...

Sometimes it doesn't work, sometimes it does.

I applaud you for your use of it!

If somebody doesn't use it, that's fine. It's when a member continually starts new threads (in the wrong section) without using it. That's when I lose patience!

Sometimes the search function can be quite a headache too. Try typing something like "Ludwig Ghost Pedal" into it and see how much non-relevant stuff comes up.

If somebody doesn't use it, that's fine. It's when a member continually starts new threads (in the wrong section) without using it. That's when I lose patience!
This. Oh yeah.

While we're at it - don't give up (addressing nobody particular) when the first search doesn't yield what you were hoping for. Just experiment with various search terms (one or a combination of a few terms, approaching the searched topic from various angles) and you'll learn how to use it more efficiently. Often times people are posting 'I did use the search function but didn't find anything' and then, 1 minute later, I would post a few links on what they were looking for. How is that? Same function, more/better results. But yes, sometimes I'm looking for something specific and I remember we definitely had a thread on this and I'm sure that the search function should find certain terms that were an element of the thread and then I would not find what I was looking for. Strange.

Anyway, not a bad idea to invest 1 minute, with a good likelihood of sparing people replying that this topic has already been discussed a million times.

What's great is that if anyone ever uses the search function for "Search Function", your thread will be number one...

Ooh, I'm going to try this, in an attempt to feel Important!

What do you know......it does work!! Who'd have thought?

Now just be sure NOT to suggest someone actually use the thing, lest you draw the ire of the lazy and bone idle!! :)

You have just won the internet!

Yay, go me!

Happy to share, because that's the sort of person I am.

And I don't want a whole internet, anyway.

I'm unsure- does DW search support searching for specific phrases like Google does by putting quotes around the terms?

No the quotes don't seem to matter. Any thread containing Ludwig, ghost, or pedal show up, this one being first in line. Did I just win the internet too?

The search function I find the best is Google (This is a registered trademark).

Just type in what you're looking for and Google (This is a registered trademark) finds it on DW and a lot of other sites. I always refer to DW however because of its vast source of information!!

Back