Thank You Drummer World!

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
It's interesting to see the dynamic ebbs and flows within the discussion forums. Some threads have been well over a decade old, the OP perhaps no longer participating on DW, but revived by other members picking up the torch and running with it.

It's awesome to see that the staying power of Drummers World and I appreciate all the unique perspectives from Long timers and Newbies on DW around the globe. I'm a relative newbie on DW, but in a short time have made some great friends and had fabulous discussions with awesome people. I feel like I've been here for years, I just wanted to say thanks to all who helped make me feel welcome here while also challenging my thinking on so many topics especially music and drumming.

Some threads have been well over a decade old, the OP perhaps no longer participating on DW, but revived by other members picking up the torch and running with it.
I should lighten up I know but threads drive me crazy where the OP posts (paraphrasing here) "I'm gigging next weekend and need to choose between snare X and snare Y before the show. Which one should I pick?" and somebody comes along nine years later saying "you should go with snare Y. I had one and it was great."

I'm cool with reviving zombie threads but for Pete's sake check the dates and try not to pick up decade old threads like they were started fifteen minutes ago. ?

I should lighten up I know but threads drive me crazy where the OP posts (paraphrasing here) "I'm gigging next weekend and need to choose between snare X and snare Y before the show. Which one should I pick?" and somebody comes along nine years later saying "you should go with snare Y. I had one and it was great."

I'm cool with reviving zombie threads but for Pete's sake check the dates and try not to pick up decade old threads like they were started fifteen minutes ago. ?
hey man, reading for comprehension is really hard don't ya know.

Even if it is noticed IMO some old threads are still viable and should be resuscitated. Not the ones asking for a quick opinion for the upcoming weekend gig obviously, but some are still very much appropriate and a lot more fun than something I might think of.

I have never been a prolific poster.

I have been on this board for a long time, but there was a large gap between when l strayed and when l came back.

some of these old threads bring back memories and also show me how my perspective on the topic may have changed.

knowledge, comradery, entertainment, somethings are timeless.

Barry

Maybe a special reaction category for the latest activity - "Liked a really old" or "Belatedly Liked". This week I liked a Bermuda post that was 10 years old. I hope Bermuda didn't wait more than a day or two before shaking off the cold shoulder.

It was the thread about Tama drums going out of style.

I have occasionally deliberately Liked a post that was years old, if I run across an old thread and the poster hadn't been on the site for years, since before the emojis were added. I figure if they ever log back in, they'll see a notification that someone liked their post and be all "what the hell does that mean?!" Sort of an automatic Welcome Wagon kind of deal.

I like to think there's a bit of magic on DW that let's a thread exist for years but still retain it's read-write-execute status (it still has to execute embedded content, if it still exists, and move those emojis at will, whether they're waving hi or slamming their heads against the walls).

Only the good guys die young, but good threads don't, so why mess with the write status?

Or just maybe you should withdraw from Drummerworld and start your own blog where you can set the rules. Some of us only came on a year or so ago and if the thread is still open then we will most likely respond. Don't presume to tell us how we should use this form..that's up to the directors. I'm so sorry someone put salt on your Corn Flakes this morning.

Or just maybe you should withdraw from Drummerworld and start your own blog where you can set the rules. Some of us only came on a year or so ago and if the thread is still open then we will most likely respond. Don't presume to tell us how we should use this form..that's up to the directors. I'm so sorry someone put salt on your Corn Flakes this morning.
I opened with "I should lighten up..." but maybe you should lighten up also. ;)

I'm not telling anybody what to do, and no rules have been broken. I was on-topic and very specific about the behaviour I was talking about. My position on the subject isn't even unusual - most boards have locking and archiving policies for this exact reason.

What's ironic is that I was commenting on stale posts that get picked up like they just happened. To answer your question: nobody put salt on my Corn Flakes this morning.... I wrote that 71 days ago.

Last edited:
I typed a reply to this thread,AND THEN looked the original post date...I thought... yeah, I think I am still OK.

I opened with "I should lighten up..." but maybe you should lighten up. ;)

I'm not telling anybody what to do, and no rules have been broken. I was on-topic and very specific about the behaviour I was talking about. My position on the subject isn't even unusual - most boards have locking and archiving policies for this exact reason.

What's really funny is that I was commenting on stale posts that get picked up like they just happened. Nobody put salt on my Corn Flakes this morning... I wrote that 71 days ago.
Touchy, touchy.. I happen to like people asking opinions from others re: their equipment choice. I'm 80 and it's amazing the tips I've picked up from this forum. But there obviously those who know everything and therefore find we neophytes and our silly questions intolerable. I humbly apolgise on behalf of us all. Oh, and if comments on old threads both you and the one I commented on 71 days old, why didn't you update it ?

Touchy, touchy.. I happen to like people asking opinions from others re: their equipment choice. I'm 80 and it's amazing the tips I've picked up from this forum. But there obviously those who know everything and therefore find we neophytes and our silly questions intolerable. I humbly apolgise on behalf of us all. Oh, and if comments on old threads both you and the one I commented on 71 days old, why didn't you update it ?
Friend, you've got me all wrong and I would rather not argue with you or try to convince you otherwise. We're here for the same reason so let's just hit the reset button and try to get along, if that's alright with you. I'm sure we could learn a thing or two from one another.

Last edited:
Back to the original thought. There are flags that can tell you the age of a post. The date and time in the top left corner of the last post. The number of posts, top right hand corner, #15, this one, and but the number of pages that have been posted. In this case 1. Sometimes it seems a little silly, but it depends on the thread. Sometimes it's best to just move on and let the poster have his/her fun.

Back to the original thought. There are flags that can tell you the age of a post. The date and time in the top left corner of the last post. The number of posts, top right hand corner, #34, this one, and but the number of pages that have been posted. In this case 2. Sometimes it seems a little silly, but it depends on the thread. Sometimes it's best to just move on and let the poster have his/her fun.
I agree but if the post is of interest and is still there then one should feel free to revive it.

I actually prefer it when threads get resurrected - keeping all relevant information in one place (whether it's about fast ride cymbal playing, maintaining pedals, the best steambent maple snare for Country or what have you) is better than having 10 similar threads. If the OP's gone, then it might still be of interest to someone else.
If there's one thing that grinds my gears, it's non-descriptive thread titles like "Help please", "The reason for XYZ" or "Quick Question". :)

I actually prefer it when threads get resurrected - keeping all relevant information in one place (whether it's about fast ride cymbal playing, maintaining pedals, the best steambent maple snare for Country or what have you) is better than having 10 similar threads. If the OP's gone, then it might still be of interest to someone else.
If there's one thing that grinds my gears, it's non-descriptive thread titles like "Help please", "The reason for XYZ" or "Quick Question". :)
Well we agree that threads should be key open. As for me I don't let anyone grind my gears. If there is a thread that doesn't interest me I simply bypass it. It works for me.

Well we agree that threads should be key open. As for me I don't let anyone grind my gears. If there is a thread that doesn't interest me I simply bypass it. It works for me.
Yeah, I do that and grinding my gears is exaggerated - I'm just not a fan of click-bait titles in general and there are so many on the internet. Like "You must know these 5 tips or your life will be miserable" or "You've got see this if you think you know anything about tuning" - cut to the chase, will you!? :D

Back