Thank You Drummer World!

SomeBadDrummer

It's interesting to see the dynamic ebbs and flows within the discussion forums. Some threads have been well over a decade old, the OP perhaps no longer participating on DW, but revived by other members picking up the torch and running with it.

It's awesome to see that the staying power of Drummers World and I appreciate all the unique perspectives from Long timers and Newbies on DW around the globe. I'm a relative newbie on DW, but in a short time have made some great friends and had fabulous discussions with awesome people. I feel like I've been here for years, I just wanted to say thanks to all who helped make me feel welcome here while also challenging my thinking on so many topics especially music and drumming.

yammyfan

Some threads have been well over a decade old, the OP perhaps no longer participating on DW, but revived by other members picking up the torch and running with it.
I should lighten up I know but threads drive me crazy where the OP posts (paraphrasing here) "I'm gigging next weekend and need to choose between snare X and snare Y before the show. Which one should I pick?" and somebody comes along nine years later saying "you should go with snare Y. I had one and it was great."

I'm cool with reviving zombie threads but for Pete's sake check the dates and try not to pick up decade old threads like they were started fifteen minutes ago. ?

someguy01

I should lighten up I know but threads drive me crazy where the OP posts (paraphrasing here) "I'm gigging next weekend and need to choose between snare X and snare Y before the show. Which one should I pick?" and somebody comes along nine years later saying "you should go with snare Y. I had one and it was great."

I'm cool with reviving zombie threads but for Pete's sake check the dates and try not to pick up decade old threads like they were started fifteen minutes ago. ?
hey man, reading for comprehension is really hard don't ya know.

SomeBadDrummer

I think Pete dropped out years ago...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Often people don’t notice the age of a thread. I notice some things and completely oblivious to others. Numerous times i’ve posted on wrong thread or had another window open on another forum or blog and posted a comment meant for another place- just did it again this week dammit.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Numerous times i’ve posted on wrong thread or had another window open on another forum or blog and posted a comment meant for another place- just did it again this week dammit.
And your edited post made me laugh so hard, like seriously it was great! I'm laughing again just thinking about it!

SomeBadDrummer

SomeBadDrummer

Often people don’t notice the age of a thread. I notice some things and completely oblivious to others. Numerous times i’ve posted on wrong thread or had another window open on another forum or blog and posted a comment meant for another place- just did it again this week dammit.
This is so true, but even if it is noticed IMO some old threads are still viable and should be resuscitated. Not the ones asking for a quick opinion for the upcoming weekend gig obviously, but some are still very much appropriate and a lot more fun than something I might think of.
perhaps @Al Strange could do a poll to find out what everyone thinks about this all important subject??

baz

Silver Member
I have never been a prolific poster.

I have been on this board for a long time, but there was a large gap between when l strayed and when l came back.

some of these old threads bring back memories and also show me how my perspective on the topic may have changed.

knowledge, comradery, entertainment, somethings are timeless.

Barry

rhumbagirl

Maybe a special reaction category for the latest activity - "Liked a really old" or "Belatedly Liked". This week I liked a Bermuda post that was 10 years old. I hope Bermuda didn't wait more than a day or two before shaking off the cold shoulder.

It was the thread about Tama drums going out of style.

I have occasionally deliberately Liked a post that was years old, if I run across an old thread and the poster hadn't been on the site for years, since before the emojis were added. I figure if they ever log back in, they'll see a notification that someone liked their post and be all "what the hell does that mean?!" Sort of an automatic Welcome Wagon kind of deal.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member

I've suggested to the Admin's to lock threads past 2 years. That way we can still access them for info, but can't comment & "revive the zombie".
Maybe it'll happen one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the time being.

wraub

...yeah, you probably shouldn't hold my breath anyway. :D

I've suggested to the Admin's to lock threads past 2 years. That way we can still access them for info, but can't comment & "revive the zombie".
Maybe it'll happen one day, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the time being.

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

This is what I'm talking about...

Maybe a special reaction category for the latest activity - "Liked a really old" or "Belatedly Liked". This week I liked a Bermuda post that was 10 years old. I hope Bermuda didn't wait more than a day or two before shaking off the cold shoulder.

It was the thread about Tama drums going out of style.

And this:

I have never been a prolific poster.

I have been on this board for a long time, but there was a large gap between when l strayed and when l came back.

some of these old threads bring back memories and also show me how my perspective on the topic may have changed.

knowledge, comradery, entertainment, somethings are timeless.

Barry

And this...

Sometimes an old argument needs revival.

felonious69

Guilty as charged. I don't use any other social media/ blogs/ chat or anything (except talkbass) and I started both in June.
Basically I'm saying proficiency, or lack thereof, plays a part.
I have posted and THEN looked at the date afterwards.
I'm learning.

felonious69

Guilty as charged. I don't use any other social media/ blogs/ chat or anything (except talkbass) and I started both in June.
Basically I'm saying proficiency, or lack thereof, plays a part.
I have posted and THEN looked at the date afterwards.
I'm learning.
LOL as I was going over my post before hitting post, I noticed auto correct had it as "talk ass".
See? I'm learning.
I AM NOT a member of talk ass!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like finding threads with my views aren't congruent- and the same-obviously I'm a lying sack of chips. I just don't which one is the lie. Old threads remind me of how long I've been on here and how old I'm getting so I love it and hate it. I like to think all the interactions on DW have had a positive influence on my drumming but when I look at new and old videos I still make a lot of same mistakes I think.
My big one is I'm too wiggly- I should be called "Wiggly Down Under" LOL. The wiggle starts with the music that jiggles my brain then it wiggles and my body twitches in contortions I fondly call drumming LOL. My kick drum leg is always jiggling-usually the same tempo (it seems) no matter tempo of music it looks like. I can consciously stop it but it just starts up without thinking about it no matter how hard I fight it. If I play heel down I don't do it -as much. I'm going to try jiggling my hat leg to see if that will throw off my kick leg cause it seems something has to jiggle.