Terry Bozzio

casmuse

Please tell me there are intelligent enough drummers on this forum that understand that certain drummers throughout history established a route, a course, trail blazed a path that got us where we are today. Please tell me that someone other than myself understand there would be no Matt Garska, who I am a big fan of, or Mike Manginis,etc if it wasn't for the contribution of musicians like Terry Bozzio. I know this topic has probably said through this forum a few times but I haven't been to the site in a log time and was startled when I didn't see his name listed. I mean you have fricken Travis Barker but you don't have Bozzio?
The site loses credibility for me right there. For the young guys out there, not everything was youtube before. The reason why a 6 year old can play ool songs is because they can rewind the videos a billion times in slow motion and all of that crap and study the hell out of them.

My God the Black page should be his get in free card. Heavy Metal be-bop, U.K. Missing persons with cutting edge drumming on that record. His list of ahevements and the people he has played and toured with like Jeff Beck and hundreds of others is astonishing. Bonham showed us the pocket and how to groove insanely with a feel like no other, buddy rich showed us that Gods do walk the earth, Bozzio and Peart amongst Tony Williams and the list is too long, showed us that you can take drumming outside the paradigm of the norm, and that you can create musically with the instrument.

End of line.

Casmuse

danondrums

Yes, to answer your first question there are many forum members (myself included) who deeply appreciate Terry's playing and contribution to the instrument.
I don't really follow the rest of the rant but I hope you can sleep okay now. :)

mkelley

Yes, huge fan of Terry. Truly an innovator, artist and musician. Don't know anyone's hangup but people enjoy drummers of all abilities. I too am not a fan of whatever Travis Barker is involved with but that should not mean someone else cannot enjoy his drumming.

So best wishes and drum on!

bud7h4

Silver Member
He's a living legend. Not a fan of his monster kit or the type of drumming he does on that, but other than that I never pass a chance to watch or hear Bozzio.

MntnMan62

Huge fan of Terry Bozzio here. In fact, in the thread on best drum solos of all time I posted his Baby Snakes movie solo. Vinnie Colaiuta may have been the better drummer technically, but no one had the theatricality combined with the technical chops that Terry had. Loved Heavy Metal Bebop. His stuff with Jeff Beck. UK. Missing Persons. Then he went in the direction of the massive drum set with the trashy sounding cymbals. Admittedly I'm not a big fan. I saw him when he was around 60 with a power trio at The Iridium in NYC and it was cool. There is one more drummer who would not be around if not for Terry. Jens Hanneman. I truly think that character is modeled after Terry. All in jest of course. And I don't doubt that Terry threatened to sue if DrummerWorld didn't remove his name from their site. That's a bit over the top, don't you think? Anyway. In honor of the man, give this a listen. Some of my favorite Terry.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I think Bozzio actually threatened the site with legal action for having his name on it.
I forget exactly what happened, but I know Bernard won't put up a page without permission from the said drummer, and hence, why some drummers are not represented.

But there are dozens of threads on Bozzio in the forum.

Skrivarna

Not sure what you are talking about. As far as I have seen there's no badmouthing Terry in the forums, and if he doesn't want to have an official page that is up to him.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Terry Bozzio is definitely a person who has blazed his own trail, and it's great to see one person have such a wide reach in terms of who all he has inspired. While I have difficulty sitting and listening to him at length (I'm not a very sophisticated person, so I blame myself), I have a deep respect for him for what he does, his approach to drumming, and his vision to where he wants to take drumming.

Believe me - Bozzio is well-loved and respected around here.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
He is one of a kind, unique, and and puts on a good show. I saw him here in Florida, at a drum clinic, at the local Music store, and he was OK. I was 10 feet away. However, his was the only clinic that I had to pay an admission fee, he was less than friendly, customers asking questions were often met with sarcasm, or telling them the question wasn't relevant , or personal. Drumming questions? When the clinic was over he made a bee line to the back of the store refusing to talk to people who paid to see him, or sign autographs. I have a drum head filled with autographs from many drummers who took the time. I can respect his drumming skills and style, but not his demeanor. I avoid all threads on him so I don't have to repeat this dialogue.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Bozzio trail blazed a lot of technical stuff with Zappa, but I can honestly say I don't understand his monster kit solo stuff.
He talks of the specialty tuned toms on each side of his kit, his specialty selected cymbals & effects as well as his different sized kicks all having their place in his solo.

Yet nothing about his performances is musical to me. None of it sounds composed with a musical theme (like say, how Neil Peart used to do), or have any direction with all that gear.
He's phenomenally talented and is where he is for a reason. I just don't understand what he's trying to do other than say, "Look at this monster kit all sponsored by DW."

EricT43

I love his drumming with Missing Persons. He lays back and holds down simple grooves, but sounds like a caged tiger. You know he's ready to rip.

danondrums

Sad to see Terry be judged on his introverted personality. And if you don’t get his solos that’s simply because they’re over your head. To say they aren’t musical is a disappointing opinion to read. They have melodies, chords, repeating themes (choruses, bridges) and are as musical as any drum solo ever created. I can confidently say they are technically the most musical solos ever created by a drummer. It’s fair to say you don’t personally find them exciting or appealing, but to say they aren’t musical shows a complete disregard for what is called “music.”

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I actually prefer his solo compositions to his group stuff. What he does is just so far beyond what anyone is doing. The man definitely has a different approach to drumming, and the skills to back it up. Whenever I want some inspiration for something crazy, he is one of the go to people.

mesazoo

Bozzio trail blazed a lot of technical stuff with Zappa, but I can honestly say I don't understand his monster kit solo stuff.
He talks of the specialty tuned toms on each side of his kit, his specialty selected cymbals & effects as well as his different sized kicks all having their place in his solo.

Yet nothing about his performances is musical to me. None of it sounds composed with a musical theme (like say, how Neil Peart used to do), or have any direction with all that gear.
He's phenomenally talented and is where he is for a reason. I just don't understand what he's trying to do other than say, "Look at this monster kit all sponsored by DW."
That's odd my non musician wife could appreciate the musical foundation of his solo performance.