Tension Rod Issue on Snare

That is great service.

On another note, I was looking at the original pic again, and I'm not at all sure there is a problem. The inserts in the lugs are designed to have some play in order to prevent binding. I think the rods just get out of alignment when you're tightening them. This could happen because of simple torque or because the holes in the hoop aren't quite lined up with the lugs. I'd have to experiment with the drum to see for sure.

That is great service.

On another note, I was looking at the original pic again, and I'm not at all sure there is a problem. The inserts in the lugs are designed to have some play in order to prevent binding. I think the rods just get out of alignment when you're tightening them. This could happen because of simple torque or because the holes in the hoop aren't quite lined up with the lugs. I'd have to experiment with the drum to see for sure.

yeah, before I emailed Gretsch I took all the tension rods out to see if maybe they were bent, but they weren't. then I tried lining up the hoop holes with the lugs, but they don't all match up.

this one is in line: IMG_8199.jpg

this is the one directly to the right: IMG_8200.jpg

then the next one: IMG_8201.jpg

there's only a couple that actually match up with the holes.

I'm glad to hear Gretsch is taking care of this.

I'd guess they have a jig for their drill press and all I can figure out is something must have gotten bumped out of alignment. I've never seen something like that before. I've seen a little splay caused by oversized hoops, but never uneven side-to-side splay like that.

I'd guess they have a jig for their drill press and all I can figure out is something must have gotten bumped out of alignment. I've never seen something like that before. I've seen a little splay caused by oversized hoops, but never uneven side-to-side splay like that.
Maybe it was a Friday drum and there was some "420" action on the loading dock? :oops:

When I see stuff like this, my imagination tends to run wild.

Most manufacturing shops will have some sort of jig, so that once a part is on the machine, everything will line up perfectly every time, and F'ing up is almost impossible regardless of whether or not it was Doug's bachelor party the night prior.

It's when your tool breaks halfway through, and you have to pull an item off the line, change the tool, re-probe, put the piece exactly back into the orientation it was prior to the breakage, and resume the steps. That's typically where stuff like this happens. You might even be able to spot the signs like marring around the holes, oval holes, double drilled figure-8 looking holes, etc.

I think it was very nice of Gretsch to offer to fix/replace it, and hope that they come through for the op.

the rep. mentioned it was possible someone did it by hand instead of using their CNC machine.

yeah, before I emailed Gretsch I took all the tension rods out to see if maybe they were bent, but they weren't. then I tried lining up the hoop holes with the lugs, but they don't all match up.

this one is in line: View attachment 92710

this is the one directly to the right: View attachment 92711

then the next one: View attachment 92712

there's only a couple that actually match up with the holes.
Wow. Yeah that really is problem, it seems. I couldn't really see that before.

It's when your tool breaks halfway through, and you have to pull an item off the line, change the tool, re-probe, put the piece exactly back into the orientation it was prior to the breakage, and resume the steps. That's typically where stuff like this happens. You might even be able to spot the signs like marring around the holes, oval holes, double drilled figure-8 looking holes, etc.

I think it was very nice of Gretsch to offer to fix/replace it, and hope that they come through for the op.

I was kind of tempted to actually take the lugs off and check out the holes, but didn't want to go through the trouble. I decided to just pack it up and wait for the return shipping label.

I would, in addition to the tape measure, use a small "t" square to check the alignment of the holes, after lug removal. That will tell you right away if it's a drilling problem and if the holes are off.

Get a hoop from a different drum of the same size and lug configuration and see if it has any problems. If no, it's the hoops. If yes, it's the lugs.

Sometimes machines can lose their tolerances if not calibrated regularly. This could have been the case also, if not a broken tool as stated above.

Glad to hear gretsch co is helping you .sounds like the dealer who went out of business was doing some shady crap .

yes Gretsch has been pretty great about everything so far and as of about two weeks ago he said my drum was put into production.

although, I am actually not quite sure the company is out of business. I keep getting emails from them and their website seems to have been recently updated as well.

yes Gretsch has been pretty great about everything so far and as of about two weeks ago he said my drum was put into production.

although, I am actually not quite sure the company is out of business. I keep getting emails from them and their website seems to have been recently updated as well.
Stay away from him,you can get burned from both sides of a match !! good luck i am sure you will be enjoying the broadcaster sound soon !

update: I was told my drum is in production and it'll be a few more weeks as they are working at half staff and have many kits to build. excited to see the final product!

this really seems like a common issue though. here are four different brand new Broadkaster snares for sale on Reverb. they all have some pretty bad splay. I've come across some that don't have it, so I don't understand how they can be so inconsistent.

Attachments

• c4kex7ej3cmmmx75pekz.jpg
    c4kex7ej3cmmmx75pekz.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 11
  • dhgx7ssvhte2bc6dvkig.jpg
    dhgx7ssvhte2bc6dvkig.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ffbixzpgdhsx1avayvdb.jpg
    ffbixzpgdhsx1avayvdb.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 11
  • jhnkesfiyvvgtcw8exuw.jpg
    jhnkesfiyvvgtcw8exuw.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ksh6aad98hguv4jvxg5g.jpg
    ksh6aad98hguv4jvxg5g.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 11
  • qnykayslqzp7kujay0hz.jpg
    qnykayslqzp7kujay0hz.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 10
  • shfax5lamcbwbnmrnrqz.jpg
    shfax5lamcbwbnmrnrqz.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8
I'm glad to hear that the drum is in production!

As for those other drums...WOW! I'm used to seeing a little outward splay (some of which is just camera distortion) but that much side to side splay on that many different drums is pretty shocking.

Did you alert ebay to the chance that the dealer is selling demo models as "new"? I've stopped buying from several dealers after it became evident that they were doing that. Returning an item can be a real pain these days but they're lying about the condition of their items.

Did you alert ebay to the chance that the dealer is selling demo models as "new"? I've stopped buying from several dealers after it became evident that they were doing that. Returning an item can be a real pain these days but they're lying about the condition of their items.

I didn't mainly because I didn't really think that was the case when I received them- it was more a thought/speculation from the Gretsch rep. the heads were untouched and everything shipped in the original boxes and packaging. if anything I think it may have just been an open box/maybe it was displayed in the store? there are two small indents on the chrome inlay of the bass drum hoop and a few markings on the snare shell. it also had the wrong floor tom legs for some reason. the bass drum box did appear to have some discoloration (looked like light water damage). there were no issues caused from that so I didn't bother saying anything. I've mentioned this previously, but the drums were listed on their website for $4800, which is/was substantially more expensive than any other place I've seen. this color was released in 2014/2015 I think, so I reckon they were just sitting the shop because of the price tag since then.

I ultimately think I lucked out with this kit though with the price I paid for it. sellers obviously should not be dishonest, but it would have been a really great price had it been listed as 'open box'. in hindsight I should have questioned the seller initially though.

Back