Ten years later, what's changed with your playing?

No Way Jose

Silver Member
We have a manager now. Didn't have one before.

Mr Farkle

10 years ago I was trying to stay on top of my business and family obligations. My (only) drum kit was on loan to my oldest daughter who loaned the hardware to a friend. He never returned it. If I was playing, I would have been a halfway decent garage band drummer.

About 4 years ago I bought a bop kit and started studying jazz. I quickly realized something I would later hear Ed Soph say, "Here's the cruelest rule of all; You only play the drumset as well as you play the snare drum". I hit the practice pad, switched to traditional grip to overcome pervasive left hand issues and made progress. I eventually worked through John Riley’s books and spent a lot of time learning brushes. Along the way I learned how to listen to music, tune drums, read swing (that was hard) and even solo a bit. Recently I have been playing in a little startup jazz combo.

BruceW

10 years ago I was about to return to drumming, after a 20 year layoff (family, kids, job). In the time since I've started playing again, I believe I've gotten a bit better with dynamics. I've tried to become less "mechanical" (something that was written about me in a review, heh heh), trying to vary my hat and ride patterns better. Hopefully my left hand is a little better...

Neal Pert

Ten years ago I was freelancing, but it was definitely just something I did when someone called rather than something I had intention about. I was playing almost all acoustic jazz, though I'd take show gigs at times, still, just to keep my chops up.

In 2013 I started writing my own songs and that's been awesome. I've performed a bunch in my little town as a solo singer/songwriter playing original material.

Around 2015-16 I got SO busy in my job that I stopped playing entirely and even sold all my stuff. That lasted a year. Since then I tried for a couple years to actually put together a jazz band that rehearsed rather than just playing pick up gigs. I found no one interested in doing it, though I did have a band and we played and the guy kept promising that some day soon he'd pull it together and start rehearsing.

After things started opening up in the spring I joined two all-original rock bands-- one sort of indie, one more on the pop side of things. I'm finally playing with people I really connect with at a personal level. I'm going to try again to pull a jazz band together but if it doesn't happen, OK. My own songwriting has been on hold for a couple months but I still plan to record an album of my own songs even if it's just a pretty lo-fi home studio thing.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Interesting.
I became less interested in "showing off", I play more for the music, and less for myself. I don't care anymore if I have to play the money beat without any fill.
I'm much more precise tempo wise and rhythmicaly - which was a necessity :D
I don't use the twin pedal (almost : because I don't want to lose the ability)
I became a bit a gear collector (hoarder?), having a shell bank and two full sets of cymbals.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
  • Running a commercial recording studio producing local bands ---(10 yrs.)---> Running a software company solving problems for the big brands
  • Developing software for fun (and for running my studio) in my spare time ---(10 yrs.)---> Recording stuff that makes me happy in my spare time
  • Playing festivals over summer time, multiple gigs a week ---(10 yrs.)---> Playing no gigs at all
  • Playing like a Delmag Dieselbär ---(10 yrs.)---> developed my left hand over last two years 1h/d on a practice pad, improving my chops big time, playing much more relaxed and a tiny bit more playful (still prefer a steady, band-oriented, supportive beat)
  • TAMA Superstar 12/16/20 ---(10 yrs.)---> DW Collectors 12/13/16/18/24
  • Using cheapest mics in a dead studio, doing everything with plug-ins ---(10 yrs.)---> Using decent mics in a well balanced room, using plug-ins homeopathically
  • Smoking 25 cigarettes and 5 joints and having 3l of coffee a day, weighting close to 70kg, looking like a bird scarer ---(10 yrs.)---> no tobacco at all, one cup of coffee in the morning, developed average amount of muscles and an overall normal body
  • Existing in a loud, stinky and overwhelming city, watching skinny girls walk by ---(10 yrs.)---> Living on the quiet and calm countryside, watching birds, hedgehogs, raccoons and bees
  • Being a single for ~20 yrs. ---(10 yrs.)---> found the love of my life, getting married next year

mikyok

Platinum Member
Whittled my drum collection down to 2 kits although the snare collection has grown.

My hardware has got a lot lighter and the drum sizes have gotten smaller too. My playing hasn't really changed. Just been on the function scene for the last 10 years. I do spend more time on the practice pad nowadays just to keep loose.

Technologically I've got my own recording setup which is something that the lockdown bought about. I'm using a kick trigger which I feel ashamed of but it just works out front. The EAD10 is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I'm into fitness more than I've ever been. Cycling, Gym x5 times a week, Cricket and Football

someguy01

Platinum Member
Zippy. Hell, I'm still making the same money I was 10 years ago.

ZDrumMan

Wow, there is so much to respond to with this topic. First let me say 10 years ago I was chasing a non-music career and doing music on the side. Three years ago I flipped that coin and a career is no longer the thrust of my life. Three years ago I started to really focus on my playing. I incorporated a set of double bass drum pedals, started working on having my left hand be just as independent as my right hand, and exploring musicality. That last one is the killer. Musicality is different for each style and being able to perform the right groove for the right situation and do it musically is all-consuming. Someone said that being a musician is a learning path that never ends. Well the more I travel that path, the more I realize there are no boundaries.
I hope to one day be able to perform again. This area is rather locked down thanks to C-19 delta.

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
10 years ago, I was gobbling up every drum style/lick I could get a lead on, trying to find my voice, and trying to be the best drummer I could be. Now, 10 years later, I’m comfortable with almost all of the coordinations I’ve learned, casually seeking out new ones that pique my interest as they come across my radar. I’ve learned that my drumming “voice” is not something that I need to “try” to use or insert into my playing, but what happens naturally when I play, based on what feels right in the moment, so that takes the pressure off and allows me to enjoy playing more. And, rather than focusing on trying to be the best drummer, I’m more focused on trying to be the best musician—less about what can I bring/add into this situation, and more about what will work the best in the moment.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I’m in the less is more camp now more than I’ve ever been. I used to be big into playing prog rock in my teens and twenties, but now I really enjoy less over the top stuff. I still listen to my old faves, but don’t have much interest in playing that stuff any more.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I’m in the less is more camp now more than I’ve ever been. I used to be big into playing prog rock in my teens and twenties, but now I really enjoy less over the top stuff. I still listen to my old faves, but don’t have much interest in playing that stuff any more.

I can't listen to a drum solo anymore. Also, I don't really like much of the music I cut my teeth on when I first started playing. I have no regrets about learning all that I did, but I have no desire to play it anymore. I concentrate so much more on good songs as opposed to good drum parts now. I like to concentrate on how well the drums support the song as opposed to listening for the latest hot lick.

Mr Farkle

• Running a commercial recording studio producing local bands ---(10 yrs.)---> Running a software company solving problems for the big brands
  • Developing software for fun (and for running my studio) in my spare time ---(10 yrs.)---> Recording stuff that makes me happy in my spare time
  • Playing festivals over summer time, multiple gigs a week ---(10 yrs.)---> Playing no gigs at all
  • Playing like a Delmag Dieselbär ---(10 yrs.)---> developed my left hand over last two years 1h/d on a practice pad, improving my chops big time, playing much more relaxed and a tiny bit more playful (still prefer a steady, band-oriented, supportive beat)
  • TAMA Superstar 12/16/20 ---(10 yrs.)---> DW Collectors 12/13/16/18/24
  • Using cheapest mics in a dead studio, doing everything with plug-ins ---(10 yrs.)---> Using decent mics in a well balanced room, using plug-ins homeopathically
  • Smoking 25 cigarettes and 5 joints and having 3l of coffee a day, weighting close to 70kg, looking like a bird scarer ---(10 yrs.)---> no tobacco at all, one cup of coffee in the morning, developed average amount of muscles and an overall normal body
  • Existing in a loud, stinky and overwhelming city, watching skinny girls walk by ---(10 yrs.)---> Living on the quiet and calm countryside, watching birds, hedgehogs, raccoons and bees
  • Being a single for ~20 yrs. ---(10 yrs.)---> found the love of my life, getting married next year
Man that was an amazing 10 years for you! Congratulations. I like the formatting on your post too.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
I noted this did not change. Well played sir.
Well concluded, sir ツ In Germany there's more tobacco than weed in a joint generally, due to it's high rate of THC, so yeah, I don't do joints anymore, too ;)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
hmm...lets see: 10 years ago I was 42

- I have much quicker double bass feet
- I got married...something I thought would never, ever happen to me
- I have now played in a legit jazz band for 7 years, something else I never thought I would be good enough to do
- I had a heart attack
- I got my Bachelors of Music Education degree (finishing my 30 year college plan :oops: )
- I added knowledge of the world of country to my playing styles; another thing I thought would never, ever happen to me
- in the past 10 years, I have had at least 1 student from my high school program on the field at DCI finals championships every year, and sometimes 2!
- in the past 10 years, the section leader/center of the Ohio State Marching Band tenor line has been a student of mine every year

there is still sooo much to work on though...hopefully 25 more years of living the dream!!!