Temptations for new equpiement.

MediocrityMaster

anyone have that burning want for new drum equipment? i do, like every day of my life, might be the lower quality of my kit that makes me want new stuff all the time. that shouldnt deter me from wanting to play, but it does.

edit: wow i failed at typing the title..

Re: Temptations for new equipment.

I'm always interested in new and different sounds to use. If I find something that has a sound that sparks inspiration, I'll buy it. Luckily, I have the means to do this, and I almost always end up using that item for either a recording or a musical, so it's not just frivolous. Plus, I get to write them off come tax time!

another thing, a lot of musical equipment is so expensive! for me at least, that and my parents dont approve of me buying any more stuff, because "im not good enough" to buy them..
they encourage me, but they dont want me to buy anything more.

Look for used stuff whenever possible. You save a whole bunch of money and you can get some really great stuff.

can't say as it deters me from playing in the slightest but YES! i want one of everything! maybe 2! i can't look at a website or catalog with out wanting several things no matter what catagory it's in. my wishlist on musicians friend at one time was so big it took my computer 5 minutes to load it, i have piles of catologs from cascio, mf, sweetwater and a few others with dozens of things circled in red marker (when i say piles i mean 4 4" tall piles), i cruze this site and several others checking out everybody else's equipment just to see if they have cool things i haven't seen yet.

thank god i'm also a penny pincher and don't spend a lot but that doesn't mean i can't want...

but then how the hell did i get 50some guitars??????????

Over the years, I've accumulated just about every bit of kit that I actually "need". The only real needs I have now is the one shared by all of us....the continual renewal of heads and sticks. However, I'm also one that looks at websites and catalogues and constantly "wants". More snares, more cymbals, multiple kits......you name it, I'd have it......and then sit there wondering how I'd ever find the time to actually play everything.

If I had an audtiorium sized room and an endless bank roll, my list of "things to hit" would exceed Wy Yungs collection!! However, the size of my house and more pressing financial matters means that Mrs Pocket can breathe easy and I can be content to just play the many things I already have.

It's called GAS

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

As in you have bad GAS, or you are gassing for a new Black Beauty.

if it's called gas......

i think i blew out an o-ring with the last bad case of gas.......

I was never discouraged from getting stuff I "needed". However, I tried to justify it by always having a gig to play.

It's funny though, once you start doing alot of one-night stands, I started subtracting gear being used, and got stuff that was alot lighter to carry around. The only physically heavy thing I carry is the throne, since I'm the heaviest part of the kit.

I did just recently pick up a new Sonor Force 3007 kit (5 drums), but I only use 4 drums. The snare is incredible. I thought I'd have to upgrade, but it sounds just like my old Supra and Acros. And my stands are those Ludwig flat-based stands. Very light, very cool!

All of the time. I love my kit to death butt I would like something different. I love cymbals too. I have signature crashes and 2002 ride, hats and china. I just parted with my 2002 crashes. I'd like a whole set of Rudes, 2002's, Signatures, and Twentys down the line.

hahah, GAS, i love it.

maybe i'd be satisfied with my drums if i could refinish them..

I needed a bunch of stuff, and now that I've got it, I'm actually happy.

I mean, recently I've really wanted a banjo, a mandolin and a 12-string acoustic, but as far as drum stuff, I'm satisfied...I guess I could go for a new hi hat stand though.

I'm constantly Craigslistin' looking for new gear. My new obsession is Latin percussion instruments (not the brand). I'm still looking for a wood block and a set of timbales. Of course I want just about everything I see but I TRY to stick to stuff that I'll use frequently as I play a pretty stripped down kit.

hm... Usually I get gas when I drink milk. do you think there's a connection? :-D

I'm always looking on Craigslist and ebay for stuff. However, I rarely bite unless I really need it or have let myself justify it enough to buy it. I can obsess over it some times. Usually during stressful times like right now. My wife and I are a week away from moving to a new state and I'm convinced that I need to upgrade my drumset. Like NOW. I think its a sort of retail therapy thing.

Most of the time I snap out of it. Now, mostly because the city we are moving to has a killer locally owned drum shop that carries all sorts of goodies that GC and the other big box music stores don't. I'll be able to window shop exotic cymbals to my heart's content. Maybe even buy one...

can't say as it deters me from playing in the slightest but YES! i want one of everything! maybe 2! i can't look at a website or catalog with out wanting several things no matter what catagory it's in. my wishlist on musicians friend at one time was so big it took my computer 5 minutes to load it, i have piles of catologs from cascio, mf, sweetwater and a few others with dozens of things circled in red marker (when i say piles i mean 4 4" tall piles), i cruze this site and several others checking out everybody else's equipment just to see if they have cool things i haven't seen yet.

thank god i'm also a penny pincher and don't spend a lot but that doesn't mean i can't want...

but then how the hell did i get 50some guitars??????????

My sentiments, exactly!! Don’t know about 50 guitars, but I could sure use 50 cymbals!

In high school it seemed like I never had enough money to get the real cool gear. You know, the LUDDY’s, the Speed King or the Ghost Pedal! As a college student, I barely had enough money for dollar beer pitchers! Finally, hormonal distractions and tiny dorm rooms, put my drumming into a deep 25 year trance.

Now that my kids are older, and priorities kinder, I can’t help but see myself as a collector of antiquities and nice things. Therapy? Void?

…Now…do I really need that 7 piece DW Waterfall Bubinga 14K gold kit?????? Common sense and gratitude do help me appreciate my sweet 7 piece DW Red Velvet set. You guys have some awesome 7 piece monsters!

…Ok, maybe not in 14K gold….just chrome then!

I kept buying until I had enough gear to be "practical". 2 drum kits and 2 sets of cymbals, for home and gigging, and then a few more snares just cuz I love snares. But, since money has gotten tighter in the last couple of years, I've stopped buying. I still look at stores, on ebay and craigslist, but I guess I don't really have GAS cuz I can resist.

However, one of these days I'm hoping to run across a nice set of Rogers or 3-ply Ludwigs for a decent price. When I do I'm going to snap them up, and then hopefully sell of the current gigging kit (Vistalites) to get my money back. It's hard to be patient and wait for a great deal, but I'm on a budget these days...

Latest Pearl Hardware and stands. If I had all that, I'd be very content with my kit right now.

And maybe a few other thing as well. :3

Ludwig maple classics, a new black beauty, a new chrome over brass snare. A Joyful Noise snare drum, more Paiste cymbals, Roland V-drums and on and on and on...

Back