Tell us about your 15 minutes of fame that Andy Warhol promised us

Not 15 min , more like a few seconds, I was in the opening intro to the reality show The Super Nanny.
I never saw it myself but my daughters, wife , friends , family and neighbors saw it . Occasionally I’d get recognized from it by random people . I found it all kinda ridiculous and amusing 😂.

Been in a few pics in the major newspapers and in the tv news a few times at some major crimes and rescue scenario’s while at work .

And I’d occasionally be seen and recognized from the NYC ST. Patrick’s day parade playing snare in my bagpipe band by people but mostly by family friends and people from around my neighborhood .

Had to issue a summons to one of
“John Mclanes” 😉daughters . Actual names withheld. ( if you know, you know) Besides it was nothing real serious and she was more than understanding of the situation I was in being my supervisor was on scene and a dozen other people were involved also .

So famous? Not by a long shot 😂. But I have been recognized by strangers from the above 🤷🏻‍♂️. That and a metro card will get me on the subway though. 😂

Last edited:

Drumdame

Silver Member
You guys are bringing me way back to almost 50 years ago when I bought a ticket to the Worcester Centrum and jumped into the ring with the wrestlers Chief Jay Strongbow and Andre the Giant and my shoe fell off and went right underneath the ring. LOL

Last edited:

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
The closest I've ever come to 15 minutes of fame status is when I helped move my daughter to Milwaukee, Wisconsin years ago. She treated me by taking me to the Harley-Davidson Museum. For those of you who have not toured the museum there is a famous bronze sculpture displayed outside. The Hill Climber Monument (pictured below) was created by legendary biker/sculptor Jeff Decker. My daughter commented to me once we got inside, "Dad, people are looking at you." I told her not to worry about it. She said, "Seriously, Dad. All eyes are on you. They're following you around, pointing at you, whispering and some are taking pictures." I realized then I had on my Hippodrome Studio T-shirt (Jeff Decker's Studio) with his name below the logo.

As someone who believes obscurity has its benefits, that's my closest to being almost famous. Major case of mistaken identity.

HillClimberMonument.png

HippodromeStudio.jpg

Drumdame

Silver Member
The closest I've ever come to 15 minutes of fame status is when I helped move my daughter to Milwaukee, Wisconsin years ago. She treated me by taking me to the Harley-Davidson Museum. For those of you who have not toured the museum there is a famous bronze sculpture displayed outside. The Hill Climber Monument (pictured below) was created by legendary biker/sculptor Jeff Decker. My daughter commented to me once we got inside, "Dad, people are looking at you." I told her not to worry about it. She said, "Seriously, Dad. All eyes are on you. They're following you around, pointing at you, whispering and some are taking pictures." I realized then I had on my Hippodrome Studio T-shirt (Jeff Decker's Studio) with his name below the logo.

As someone who believes obscurity has its benefits, that's my closest to being almost famous. Major case of mistaken identity.

View attachment 127014

View attachment 127015
Really Cool! I always loved Harley's and was a back seat Rider but always wanted to learn how to ride but now it's too late. Oh well, my brothers and their Harleys rode my dream. LOL

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I only got 5:58 of fame. But there were cameras there.
Big Los Angeles music festival in the year 2000. Paul Rodgers with Slash were the headliners. We got one song to a packed house.

Another band I was in later sold albums in Brazil, Germany, the UK, and quite a few in Russia. The total albums sold were not many, it never even recovered the cost of mixing it, but it was trippy to think people on the other side of the planet were listening to me.

kdh

I put Gary Busey in a headlock years ago at Buddy Guy's blues club in Chicago. He growled at me because I said hello. I couldn't help it. 😁
It was left handed even though I'm right handed. Must be that I'm a drummer. Pulled him almost to the floor and said to him "I just wanted to acknowledge that I really liked you in The Buddy Holly Story." And then I let him up and he growled at me again! My friends were opening for Buddy Guy that night. They thought it was hilarious. It was. I can't stand rude people. Famous or not.🤗

Juniper

Gold Member
Did a support slot with New Order and went on a short tour with them a few years back.

Wasn't a 15minutes of fame as I was a nobody and remain so, but it was nice playing to thousands each night and getting treated well by all involved.

One guy I spoke to outside the venue afterwards who recognised me couldn't believe I wasn't rich and actually had a regular job 🤣 I completely shattered that illusion for him.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Played in a band that had some national/international airplay. Did a small tour around the US, a few live radio broadcasts, and opened up for Ian McLagan (Faces, Stones) as well as a few other national acts. Was recognized a few times after shows, etc...

heartbeat

I've been spotted in:

Modern Drummer Magazine
DRUM! Magazine
Drumhead Magazine
North Carolina Weekend television show
New Hampshire Chronicle television show

Played live on-air at an NPR station.

I'm told my playing has been heard on radio stations across the world, although I've never heard it.

Signed some autographs, including someone's chest (at their insistence)...with a Sharpie, so it might still be there, more than 15 minutes later. LOL

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I've been spotted in:

Modern Drummer Magazine
DRUM! Magazine
Drumhead Magazine
North Carolina Weekend television show
New Hampshire Chronicle television show

Played live on-air at an NPR station.

I'm told my playing has been heard on radio stations across the world, although I've never heard it.

Signed some autographs, including someone's chest (at their insistence)...with a Sharpie, so it might still be there, more than 15 minutes later. LOL

I have done the bottom 3 from your list above. Signing autographs is probably the weirdest feeling thing....who the hell wants my autograph?

..Go Robot, Go's music was also in a few episodes of the TV show Dawson's Creek

I probably have a little more "face recognition" fame in the drum corps world than in the rock world...meaning that more of the top guys in that field know me