tell me some good drum beats

Lucas.Lankford

I would like to know some new and good drum beats from you guys! And no stupid crap like hitting the snare and calling it done,unless of course you put in BOLD that it's a beat!(it can be anything even If it's a beginner beat I'lle except it because I just want to know what you have to bring to the table that is this discussion!)

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

I've never really taken the approach of creating beats in isolation (independently of a musical context, that is). I've always thought of beats as functions of compositions. If you're seeking exposure to beats with which you're unfamiliar, explore novel selections of music. You'll expand your understanding of rhythmic structure, as well as your comprehension of the dynamic qualities that govern all things percussive.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
You should work on patterns like shuffles-you can spend a good year just on the different flavors of shuffles. Bonham, Purdie, Gadd, Porcaro, half-time, samba, country, flat-tire, Texas shuffle, etc. It's worth the time because so much music of all genres.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Great suggestion. Dang Ringo is almost standing-his snare looks way low? I like Ringo's swinging metronomic hats action-he plays it all just right. But must be somebody else playing Tambourine?

Last edited:

cbphoto

Gold Member
Great suggestion. Dang Ringo is almost standing-his snare looks way low? I like Ringo's swinging metronomic hats action-he plays it all just right. But must be somebody else playing Tambourine?
It's a Milli-Vanilli lip sync video. No guitar cables. And at around 1:40 you can see Ringo blows the break.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's a Milli-Vanilli lip sync video. No guitar cables. And at around 1:40 you can see Ringo blows the break.
ROFL that's hilarious no wonder it kept jumping around and no tambourine to be seen.

rhumbagirl

I've got a week invested in this groove... still kicking my a$$ LOL

BGDurham

Lukas: your enthusiasm ok, you are a new member - please calm down a little bit and don't start so many random threads. thanks a lot.
Lukas, am I right that you are fairly young (maybe 15 or so) and new to drumming? I think you would learn more and faster if you take actual lessons or purchase a book and follow it. Are you able to do that where you live or will your parents help you with that? We want to help, but you are asking a lot of different questions and it would be easier for you if you followed a particular path.

Last edited:

doggyd69b

Not new beats but good ones from known music:
The intro to Territory by Sepultura
or the beat in Digital Bath by Deftones

you didn't specify what level of difficulty those beats should be.
I find the above beats to be in an advanced level but some other drummer may think they are very easy.

The Territory beat has an intro tom roll that morphs into hitting a crash and a china with the right hand while hitting the toms and snare with the left becoming a polyrhythm.
The Digital Bath beat is slower but the tricky part is to get the ghost notes right while also hitting the triplets on the hi hats without sounding rushed.
I am also of the opinion that a beat alone without a musical context may be less useful than a beat within a song.

a more advanced one is Decapitated the song Spheres of madness
I don't have the track available to have an exact time spot but there is a part where the drummer is hitting 2 crashes, a china and the ride cymbal twice while maintaining a constant double bass beat. The tricky part on that one is to repeat the pattern and go back to the regular beat without missing cymbal hits. both beats Territory and Spheres sound like more than one person is playing the part.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

here is a playlist I give to my mid level drum students to try to learn/play along to. Various styles to choose from...range from easy/repetitive to moderate involved

do with it what you will!! I warm up with this list every time I do "play along" practice

toddmc

Gold Member
The Territory beat has an intro tom roll that morphs into hitting a crash and a china with the right hand while hitting the toms and snare with the left becoming a polyrhythm.
I could never figure out out what the hell Igor (or "Iggor" as he now goes by) by doing there- will have to give this one another go!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Certain songs will help with things-like Roseanna, Home At Last, Fool in the Rain for half-time shuffle. Hoochtie Cochtie Man is a Texas shuffle and some smoking hot Johnny Winters blues. Basic rock money beat with something like Billie Jean. You can work on some jazz spangalang with Art Blakey Moanin'.. Play some reggae, funk and other genres of music-even crap you don't like.

Rock Salad

Make your own beats Lucas. You have got some style going already. Put the clicker on and jam it out.

opentune

Platinum Member
Here's a fun one. Play a steady beat for 3 minutes. Snare on 2 and 4 bass drum on 1 and 3, no fills, nothing else.
Hold it down, 3 minutes. See if you can do this (remember no fills or anything) for 3 minutes.
Never 'call it done'.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

Here's a fun one. Play a steady beat for 3 minutes. Snare on 2 and 4 bass drum on 1 and 3, no fills, nothing else.
Hold it down, 3 minutes. Never 'call it done'.
What tempo? Pink Floyd's "Is There Anybody Out There" - no problem. Michael Jackson's "Beat It" - a huge challenge, even for the experienced. And do we get to lay down 8th notes on the HiHat as a grid?