Teeth - drum kits in your head

This is crazy. I thought I was the only one too. I have a pretty good library of music. I'm still working on Ticks and Leeches by Tool. I wonder if WFD will have a category. I must be up around 1000. I agree with an earlier post, my teeth would kill my hands and feet at singles.

Wow... I also thought I was the only person doing this. I've been grinding / tapping my teeth together as if drumming for as long as I can remember.

Although I have OTHER issues with my teeth, clicking beats on them has done some serious wear on them. I've been clicking and grinding away for like 30 plus years so that's A LOT of wear!! Bad thing is, I just can't seem to stop doing it as it's an unconscious thing that I just DO and I don't realize it as it's happening.

I HIGHLY recommend stifling it if at all possible, as it DOES get expensive at the dentist if you do it too long and too hard as I have over my lifetime of playing and thinking drums.

Well, it's good to hear that I'm not the only person doing this! I wasn't sure what the response would be when I started this thread. I should have been more specific however - I didn't mean to ask if you did it while playing, but rather when you weren't behind a kit.

Don't flame me because I performed a search for this topic, but does anyone else play the drums by grinding their teeth? Or am I the only one?

Oh my sweet lord I thought I was the only one! I grow conscious and it is starting to hurt my jaw and I am trying to stop. It is very difficult though when you've been doing it for so long.

Yes, I've been doing this for years!

Thought I was the only one.

When i was a student, on long train/bus journeys, i used to work out drum parts on my teeth.

Dentist is always puzzled as to why the backs of my teeth are unusually worn...

I've been doing this since I was a kid. I've often thought I had some weird tic and maybe should seek help for it. My dentist says the grinding is hell on fillings. My wife has been telling me to knock it off for years now, but I just can't stop. Good to know I'm not alone!

I tend to tap pencils or vocalize drum parts. Apparently I have a problem with grinding my teeth while I sleep so this whole business just sounds unpleasant. It seems all my friends and family are completely used to me slapping my lap and stomping on the floor to practice drum parts.

..We're a weird bunch aren't we?

Definitely not me, and if were to do that unconsciously, I'd make every effort to stop it, as I've had numerous teeth and gum problems throughout my life, and in conjunction with that, I've got a wicked dentist phobia--not a good combination. I try to treat my teeth as delicately as dried rose petals now, lol . . . just keeping my fingers crossed that I do not lose any anytime soon.

Just reading an interview with Dave Grohl in the latest MD mag, and it seems he is a regular 'teeth drummer' as well!

Wow, I thought I was the only one who did that. I've been doing drum beats with my teeth for as long as I can remember. I've actually written drumlines in my band, based off of beats I did with my teeth haha, nice to know I'm not the only one. It does hurt my teeth after a while though. Probably not good.

For sure. Being doing that ever since I can remember. Alot guys ask me,"Are you stressed?" and I tell them No, just practising some grooves. Then I get a look of,"Man, what have you been smoking!!!!"

Back