Teen charged in assault of Rick Allen of Def Leopard

But he was holding a cigarette, lol.

What was the kid's reasoning, using the term very loosely? Out of his mind drunk or drugged and looking for money for more?

What was the kid's reasoning, using the term very loosely? Out of his mind drunk or drugged and looking for money for more?
I’m not even sure if the kid knew who he was was assaulting but certainly he could see that he was beating up a disabled elderly person though. Maybe just an easy target to rob or simply abuse? How disgusting.

I mean, I think "Adrenalize" was a terrible album too, but I don't think I'd express my opinion quite so violently.

Well, I hope Rick and the woman who tried to help are doing ok. Sadly this story is being repeated in a lot of places. A friend of mine was assaulted when she tried to help a seemingly homeless man up off the ground, and another woman I met here working at Disneyland said she was randomly hit by some guy while walking out to her car in the parking lot(with the face scars to prove it). I get that there are people with mental problems out there, but the increase in violence is a bit disturbing. No wonder there are so many instances where people won’t step in to help a legitimate situation. Sad times.

When you see the person responsible for making that song that's been stuck in your head all day! My money is on When Love and Hate Collide.

Or he got ripped off when he bought the Rick Allen signature stick and only one arrived in the post. (old but gold!)

Seriously though, what the hell man!

Well, I hope Rick and the woman who tried to help are doing ok. Sadly this story is being repeated in a lot of places. A friend of mine was assaulted when she tried to help a seemingly homeless man up off the ground, and another woman I met here working at Disneyland said she was randomly hit by some guy while walking out to her car in the parking lot(with the face scars to prove it). I get that there are people with mental problems out there, but the increase in violence is a bit disturbing. No wonder there are so many instances where people won’t step in to help a legitimate situation. Sad times.

This sort of thing has become commonplace in the larger cities here in Michigan. They call it the "knockout game". Attackers look for an elderly person, a smaller female with her hands full, or a handicapped person. They sneak up behind them with the intention of knocking them out cold and then grabbing their purse or wallet.

Big, scary and stupid guys like me aren't likely targets.... but not always. When I used to live in the city, I bluffed my way out of 2-3 muggings. During one attempt, my wife and I were walking on a deserted boardwalk along Lake Michigan. Two creepy dudes were watching us intently, quickly split up and approached us from opposite sides of the boardwalk. Just like in the movies, I reached into my pocket, looked at the would-be attackers and smiled. Worked like a charm! Never even had to draw my handgun.

It isn't like that at all where I live. We Americans are NOT violent. The most you will experience is road rage and that's avoidable.
Now, there is violent crime here, but mostly limited to very specific areas. There isn't a lot of reason for normal people to go into those areas.
This is still a high trust society.

in America:

we live in a society where the individual is more important than the group

we live in a society where the definition of respect has been distorted to the level of "street respect" or erased completely

we live in a society where there is no punishment for breaking the laws from day one

we live in a society where those who are supposed to exemplify justice are often times rat bastards

we live in a country where violence has been glorified in mainstream cultural mediums for 70 years or more

we live in a culture - especially recently - where "it is not my fault. It is because of (insert many excuses here)"

we live in a culture where no one wants to admit that they are wrong

We live in the culture that we allow to happen, so why is every one surprised?

the people who do this kind of thing have no fear of doing it because they know that they can, and have been encouraged by the world that they live in to do it. They are just doing what they have been trained, allowed, and encouraged to do.

like @Paul Blood , I teach in middle and high school, and I see this mindset happening every day. I do what I can in my small bubble to undo the brainwashing, but it is hard to fight an incoming tsunami of selfishness, disrespect, and ignorance.

It isn't like that at all where I live. We Americans are NOT violent. The most you will experience is road rage and that's avoidable.
Now, there is violent crime here, but mostly limited to very specific areas. There isn't a lot of reason for normal people to go into those areas.
This is still a high trust society.

it does totally depend on where you live....

I currently live in what I thought was a "high trust" part of Columbus...but I see and hear things now in this place everyday that have destroyed that feeling of "high trust"...there is no place where you can safely avoid random acts of violence anymore.

a society that arms itself to the teeth is definitely NOT a high trust society...

hell, I can't even go out to check the mail anymore without having to feel out the scene outside of my front door.

i think the further away from population centers that you live, the less likely you are to be a victim of random violence, but that probably even isnt' that true anymore

Sadly so. I’m a high school teacher, just about every day we have fights on campus. In fact there was a shooting at high school across town yesterday that resulted in a death of a student. I don’t think it was even mentioned on the national news, I guess because it so common.

in many ways, I think that the less that things make the news, the less likely they are to happen

a lot of these things are just cries for attention in that aspect

I wish the news would stop covering these events. I have always believed that you would see them go down as it would eliminate the copycat thing

in America:

we live in a society where the individual is more important than the group

we live in a society where the definition of respect has been distorted to the level of "street respect" or erased completely

we live in a society where there is no punishment for breaking the laws from day one

we live in a society where those who are supposed to exemplify justice are often times rat bastards

we live in a country where violence has been glorified in mainstream cultural mediums for 70 years or more

we live in a culture - especially recently - where "it is not my fault. It is because of (insert many excuses here)"

we live in a culture where no one wants to admit that they are wrong

We live in the culture that we allow to happen, so why is every one surprised?

the people who do this kind of thing have no fear of doing it because they know that they can, and have been encouraged by the world that they live in to do it. They are just doing what they have been trained, allowed, and encouraged to do.

like @Paul Blood , I teach in middle and high school, and I see this mindset happening every day. I do what I can in my small bubble to undo the brainwashing, but it is hard to fight an incoming tsunami of selfishness, disrespect, and ignorance.

I personally think that the American people are portrayed in a very unfair light to the rest of the world.

We really only see the extreme of everything.

The extreme gun violence, extreme political views, extreme weather events etc etc.

America and Australia have a very close bond which began in earnest during WW1.

America protected us during the Pacific Campaign in WW2.......those brave lads and ladies.

You have given us amazing research into healthcare, you help the world where you can.

We all have aspects of our own societies which is maladaptive and unproductive.

I got stuck once on a beach in low tide.

My car was bogged to the axles.

This 4WD came out with a winch and tools.

He was an American tourist from Texas........he stayed with me and wouldn't give up until I was out and back on the road.

His wife and little kids were all helping me too.

I've never been to the U.S, maybe one day......but not yet.

Last edited:
it does totally depend on where you live....

I currently live in what I thought was a "high trust" part of Columbus...but I see and hear things now in this place everyday that have destroyed that feeling of "high trust"...there is no place where you can safely avoid random acts of violence anymore.

a society that arms itself to the teeth is definitely NOT a high trust society...

hell, I can't even go out to check the mail anymore without having to feel out the scene outside of my front door.

i think the further away from population centers that you live, the less likely you are to be a victim of random violence, but that probably even isnt' that true anymore

This is a city. A small one, but it's still high trust. It won't last forever and that is the goal of TPTB.
I've lived in large populations with very low trust populations in the far North and far South. If you opened your car trunk in front of your house and went inside to get something, you had to worry that one of your neighbors would pilfer something from the car trunk. You secured your personal safety by lowering your level of behavior to that of the urchins around you. Well, I mean you acted like you were just as potentially violent as the person who might prey on you so they wouldn't attack you. You still might get your necklace ripped off your neck, or a bottle thrown at you from a passing car. You absolutely will be occasionally targeted for your race, but on the whole the number of racial threats was lesser than within your race. The degree is different, though.

The violent crime creeps into high trust areas from larger nearby metropolitan areas and it has done that here. But it's still very identifiable here.

There's a national violence website I peruse frequently. Gunmemorial.org
It puts a face with 1st and last name to violent crime. The news reports are attached to follow up on the crime. It shows the victims of crime, btw.

Last edited:
It's odd-historically most mental illness wasn't associated with violence-in fact they were more likely to be attacked. But there is something else brewing now that there seems more violence in those we classify with mental illness. I'm not sure it's an accurate description There is a huge surge in violence in our youth (I'd argue globally-so does WHO) and the extremes of it get classified with "mental illness" but I don't think so. At least directly I think it's indirect from the increased prevalence of anxiety and depression in youth (globally too). I think much of my youthful violent nature was related to poorly dealing with my own anxiety and depression , and poorly dealing with violence towards me (so I became violent in retaliation). There is something going on with our gene pool too-or more so our epigenetic pool because we have so many environmental agents that can influence all aspects of our biology-from conception to death.

Last edited:
Back