Team Will Smith or Chris Rock

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Smith hurt way more than Chris Rock with that swing.

Keep in mind that Rock was about to announce the winner of Best Documentary, which was Summer of Soul. This was to be Questlove's moment, getting an Oscar for a movie that was so personal to him, and had such a positive message about the black community, and it's prefaced with a black award winner assaulting a black presenter. When Questlove came up, you could tell he was distressed. He could barely get through his acceptance speech. It should have been such a great moment for him and for the black community, and it was so sad.

Smith ruined his own winning moment too, so no sympathy there, but at the same time he robbed the Williams sisters of theirs, seeing a movie about their family winning an Oscar. Again, they should have been so happy, but they were clearly distressed as he was giving his tortured acceptance speech. And I thought Smith using their father as cover for his behavior was beyond the pale.

The other thing that struck me is how nobody did anything about it. If a stagehand had walked up and assaulted a host, he would have been gang tackled and taken into custody instantly. But Will Smith gets to stroll back to his seat unscathed, and then he gets an award and a standing ovation. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The class divide was laid bare in that moment.
Well said.

I thought it bizarre than no one lifted a finger when it happened and assumed it was scripted. But I only watched replays, I haven't watched any awards show in a couple decades. Way too much narcissism and posturing for me.

someguy01

Platinum Member
The other thing that struck me is how nobody did anything about it. If a stagehand had walked up and assaulted a host, he would have been gang tackled and taken into custody instantly. But Will Smith gets to stroll back to his seat unscathed, and then he gets an award and a standing ovation. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The class divide was laid bare in that moment.
LAPD was called and Rock declined to press charges.

Jeremy Crockett

I care just enough to respond to the entire stupid situation.

1. Rock got his bell rung. Watch him afterward and he is a guy attempting to recover from said ringing.
2. Men, occasionally, do need to slap the taste of the mouth of a dude who insults his woman. Overall we are a sissified culture.
3. Will Smith lets his wife sleep with other dudes and he's upset about a haircut joke? His priorities are out-of-whack (pun intended).

I read elsewhere that this has accomplished two things that haven't occurred over the last 20+ years. First, people are actually talking about the Oscars and Chris Rock is getting laughs.

jansara

Will Smith played Muhammad Ali in a movie while Chris Rock is a pencil neck geek like me. What's he going to do? He'd need to pick up the podium, sneak attack Will, and not stop smashing his head till it caves in to come out a winner in that fight.

How do you come up with that? Jada is a famous actress, she's had almost as good a career as Will has had, at times it was actually better, and she was in the audience. That makes her fair game for a little mild roasting. And the show is NOT about Will Smith...it's about everyone who was nominated, not the highest paid person in the room who's nominated for best actor. Of all the arguments supporting Will, this is by far the worst I've seen, and I've seen some bad ones.

Speaking of bad arguments...as someone who started going bald when he was 21, whether it's because of alopecia or male pattern baldness makes no difference. Everyone thinks "baldy" jokes are funny till it happens to them. And as Rock has his own career to worry about, I seriously doubt if he watches Jada's podcast and follows her in Variety or even had a clue she had alopecia. I didn't until last night and I know I'm not the only one.

Team Rock for me. Will was completely unprofessional, end of story.
You say the show is about the nominees. Will Smith was a nominee. Therefore, the show was about him, which is what I said. Lose the blinders.

Insult humor can be dangerous, as Rock discovered. Getting slapped down in front of 15 million viewers was universes more embarrassing than his weak attempt at misplaced humor at a friend's wife's expense. He'll survive. Maybe even think twice next time.

And, how much Smith earns is irrelevant.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
You say the show is about the nominees. Will Smith was a nominee. Therefore, the show was about him, which is what I said. Lose the blinders.

Insult humor can be dangerous, as Rock discovered. Getting slapped down in front of 15 million viewers was universes more embarrassing than his weak attempt at misplaced humor at a friend's wife's expense. He'll survive. Maybe even think twice next time.

And, how much Smith earns is irrelevant.
Yay for violence.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Diddy says it's all over-must have been a beer fest. LOL. That sounds like pure bull crap to me-I think we've all been played. Will will receive an Oscar for his performance-the tears more convincing than any anger. https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/4993338/p-diddy-will-smith-chris-rock-actor-assault-joke/

On another note what's with all the angry actors-you'd think more would feel blessed like Denzel Washington with all wealth and success but De Niro, Alec Baldwin, etc are angry people in major need of an intervention and anger management. Maybe I should have been an actor LOL

TheDrummerFromAmsterdam

Platinum Member
It was the slap he wanted to give Jada, but Chris made the mistake to make a stupid joke, so he was on the receiving end.

He should have left Jada a long time ago already. She is not good for his health, nor his public image.

that-bitch-fca035c4a8.jpg

😂

boomstick

Silver Member
Well said.

I thought it bizarre than no one lifted a finger when it happened and assumed it was scripted. But I only watched replays, I haven't watched any awards show in a couple decades. Way too much narcissism and posturing for me.

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched an Oscars show. But this year my wife and I had just gotten back from a long trip, she wanted to watch, and relaxing in front of the TV sounded good to me. I even watched the red carpet hoopla.

It was actually shaping up to be a pretty good show. There was narcissism and posturing for sure, but it sort of became part of the entertainment as we laughed at it. The political statements were naturally very cringe. But I thought the performances were good (especially Beyonce) and the hosts were good. The general atmosphere was very positive. There was a sense of optimism and normalcy since the covid protocols were relaxed.

Then the slap happened, and the mood in the place just plummeted. At first, I thought it was a bit (nobody stopped him), but it soon became clear it was real. Rock really seemed like he got his bell rung. I can't believe he managed to recover and announce the award. They also cut out the sound entirely, and I thought it was unlikely they'd censor a stunt if that's what it was.

But the main reason I thought it was real relates to my earlier post. The producers of the show were clearly going for a theme of peace and unity, and celebrating diversity milestones, and Smith single-handedly upended all of it. There are so many more layers when you watch it all in context. It turned out to be one of the most dramatic and revealing things I've seen on TV.

Another bit of drummer trivia: Travis Barker showed up with some Kardashian, which I didn't really care about, but then he sat in on drums for Reba McEntire when she performed her nominated song, and I thought that was pretty cool.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I'm on team DGAF.

On a related note, I don't insult or make disparaging jokes about other men's wives, that seems like a bad idea.
I’ve been watching video recordings of Don Rickles and, while he ripped on everyone, it was always directly at them, face to face. Spouses were never a target.

Will248

I shouldn’t care but the hypocrisy really gets under my crawl. Eventually even comics will be out of jobs because they might offend someone .

RVN

Well, apparently Will Smith’s marriage is open to every damn thing but jokes.
If Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson would have told the joke instead of the 57 year old, slightly built Chris Rock, bad ass Will Smith would have never got his ass outta his seat.
Just an observation…….
1648580752093.png