Td3 Hihat , how to simulate closed hihat sound, without pedal

Overg

Hi all,
I have TD3 module connected to triggers , I also have real cymbals.
Since I want to practice at night I want to add some hi-hat possibilities .

I have a spare trigger, so I connected it to some PAD to be my hi-hat, problem is that without the hi-hat controller the module only give an open hi-hat sound.

is there some option to tell the module to preform closed hi-hat sound all the time?
(like someone is pressing the pedal all the time)

Just assign the pad to a closed hi-hat sound instead of the open hit-hat sound.

All the pedal does is tell the module to trigger the closed sound instead of the open sound.

Just assign the pad to a closed hi-hat sound instead of the open hit-hat sound.

All the pedal does is tell the module to trigger the closed sound instead of the open sound.

I have
Looked in the manual and didn't find anywhere how to do it.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Its like changing any other sound for the pad, but just scroll through until you find a closed hi hat sound.

Its like changing any other sound for the pad, but just scroll through until you find a closed hi hat sound.

Already did that
there is no closed hi-hat sound, there is different hi-hat sounds, you can assign different sound (e,g tom sound to that trigger) but if you choose hi-hat, then you do get hihat sound, but only open.
unless there is a special menu for position of the hihat , I don't see how it is possible.

I've read that you can do this by connecting a foot switch (like for a guitar amp) in place of the pedal. You can also connect a Y-cable to the footswitch with one side going to the pedal and the other to the module - the footswitch will then switch between always closed and normal pedal.

Also, there is a specific forum - www.vdrums.com

Already did that
there is no closed hi-hat sound, there is different hi-hat sounds, you can assign different sound (e,g tom sound to that trigger) but if you choose hi-hat, then you do get hihat sound, but only open.
unless there is a special menu for position of the hihat , I don't see how it is possible.

It seems logical that it will be there somewhere.

On my td 6 there is a closed HH setting. It's way deep, #996, fixed HH. It's not by the regular cymbal settings. It's located by the sounds.

It seems logical that it will be there somewhere.

On my td 6 there is a closed HH setting. It's way deep, #996, fixed HH. It's not by the regular cymbal settings. It's located by the sounds.

Tried to use the note change,( MIDI section in the TD3 Manual) nothing happen, any ideas?

As i recall theres a double bass kit setting in the TD3 featuring a closed hi hat.

Have you tried plugging the HH cymbal into the hh pedal output? Not sure if youll get a closed sound or just the chk chk type sound.

I used to own a TD3 and I had the same issue. It isn't possible to just assign a closed sound, as you can only get those sounds if the hi hat pedal is in the closed position.

So here's what I did - Get a female 1/4 jack which might look something like this:

Stereo_Mono_Female_1_4_Jack_Connector.jpg

Any electronics store should carry them. Open it up, and you need to connect the two terminals together to close the circuit. It may be possible to just bend them so they touch, or use a small piece of wire/solder if you have to. Then just plug the end of the hi-hat controller lead into it, and the module will think that it's just a closed foot controller.

It may also be possible to use a male version so you can just plug it straight into the module and not have to worry about the lead. Any questions just ask :)

I used to own a TD3 and I had the same issue. It isn't possible to just assign a closed sound, as you can only get those sounds if the hi hat pedal is in the closed position.

So here's what I did - Get a female 1/4 jack which might look something like this:

Stereo_Mono_Female_1_4_Jack_Connector.jpg

Any electronics store should carry them. Open it up, and you need to connect the two terminals together to close the circuit. It may be possible to just bend them so they touch, or use a small piece of wire/solder if you have to. Then just plug the end of the hi-hat controller lead into it, and the module will think that it's just a closed foot controller.

It may also be possible to use a male version so you can just plug it straight into the module and not have to worry about the lead. Any questions just ask :)
interesting, so just to be on the same page, if I take the male version, on one side I plug it as usual to the module, in the other side I just cut it and connect the two wires together, it's should be ok ? ( is it safe? I mean can it somehow short my module?)

As far as I'm aware the hi hat controller is just an on/off switch. Off = open hats and on = closed hats. Doing it this way is just like having the switch permanently turned on (until you unplug it). I don't know if the TD3 has a half open sound, in that case the hi hat controller may have a variable resistor in it.

It didn't damage my module, but you should ask on the vdrums forum too if you want to be safe..

Back