TD-17KVX or DTX6K3X or something other

Essenter

Hey guys
So actually I'm playing on TD-1DMK, however I really started to enjoy electronic drums so I decided to start saving up money and hopes on next electronic drum set - something more expensive. Two options I consider for future are Roland TD-17KVX and Yamaha DTX6K3X - which one should I really 'choose'? Or is there any other viable option? I preffer functionality over look/pad sizes

I have the Yamaha.
I’ve ditched the hi hat as it seemed unnecessary and fiddly to set up ( mechanically inept) and the kick pad as although quieter than my old dtx kit, was still too whoompy for my environment. I’ve also changed all the pads for bigger ones ( nothing wrong with the sound and feel of the smaller supplied ones). As it is, it doesn’t ‘look’ like a proper drum kit without these bits but it suits me.
I have yet to dig into the module capacity for fine tuning, just using the standard kits but they’re great.
So I’ve changed it all and not used much of the capabilities..and you could argue why bother with the kit as it was..In truth it’s probably wasted on my limited ability but I wouldn’t swap it as I had a (much cheaper) Alesis Nitro Mesh Turbo and didn’t like mesh at all. The dtx pads are amazing feel and super quiet.
I have no experience of the Roland or any other kits by the way.

Last edited:
Hey guys
So actually I'm playing on TD-1DMK, however I really started to enjoy electronic drums so I decided to start saving up money and hopes on next electronic drum set - something more expensive. Two options I consider for future are Roland TD-17KVX and Yamaha DTX6K3X - which one should I really 'choose'? Or is there any other viable option? I preffer functionality over look/pad sizes

[subjective bit]
Play both - which you like the sound of? Which do you like feel of?

[objective bit]
Download and read the manuals to check features.
....if you want functionality - then the Yammy: 3-zone pads (head + cross stick + rim shot / edge + bow + bell), up to 14 pads, huge sound layering capabilities (multiple layered sounds on each zone on each pad), clever apps, and no evil proprietary cable snake. And knobs. etc

[subjective bit]
Play both - which you like the sound of? Which do you like feel of?

[objective bit]
Download and read the manuals to check features.
....if you want functionality - then the Yammy: 3-zone pads (head + cross stick + rim shot / edge + bow + bell), up to 14 pads, huge sound layering capabilities (multiple layered sounds on each zone on each pad), clever apps, and no evil proprietary cable snake. And knobs. etc
How many extra pads can I connect to TD-17 module?

So practically if I like DTX6 sound more, TD-17KVX wins only in terms of pad sizes?
Well you can put bigger pads on if you want - Yammy does 12" ones. (You *don't need* bigger pads, you'll only ever use the centre 4-5"). The Yamaha also "wins" on every feature (and doesn't have evil snake ;) )

Go hit 'em. See what you like the feel of and what you like the sound of.

--

Disclaimer: I have Roland, Yamaha, Alesis, Korg, UP, Alternate Mode etc. No axe to grind.

I've got also one question: coz like I saw today on used things page TD-17KL drumset - it's obviously cheaper than both DTX6K3X and TD-17KVX, and it also seems it's better than TD-1DMK, but it has rubber toms - would this be worth getting?

I've got also one question: coz like I saw today on used things page TD-17KL drumset - it's obviously cheaper than both DTX6K3X and TD-17KVX, and it also seems it's better than TD-1DMK, but it has rubber toms - would this be worth getting?

Nothing wrong with rubber toms IMHO.

TD17 not for me (evil cable snake, limited functions in comparison to any DTX ) - but have a play and see what you think. If money's tight I'd rather have a 2nd user 5x2/7x0 - even with rubber toms - over the 17. But that's just me.

Nothing wrong with rubber toms IMHO.

TD17 not for me (evil cable snake, limited functions in comparison to any DTX ) - but have a play and see what you think. If money's tight I'd rather have a 2nd user 5x2/7x0 - even with rubber toms - over the 17. But that's just me.
Welp, I would get Yamaha 522K, but the main problem is in my country people sell it for like 1000 USD and more, and Yamaha 700 series isn't even available. To be honest btw I didn't knew before that TD-1 module is really that limiting. Also I keep hearing that DTX502K module has not that good sounds

Also I keep hearing that DTX502K module has not that good sounds

If you go on what you read on the internet, you'll never buy any Roland with regard to the sounds. Look on any forum and "Roland" is always in the same sentence as "VST" (actually, ditto with Alesis, really). Yamaha's sounds are based on samples of Yamaha's acoustic kits. Roland's are modelled.

But here's the thing - sounds, like feel, are subjective and only you can decide what you like. So, as I keep saying, you need to hit things and get what *you* like. It's fun to try stuff out! (apart from jeans. I hate trying on jeans. Never fit how I like. Grrrrr ;) )

(and I as I said - I have both Roland and Yamaha and etc - no buyers' Stockholm here)

Tbh, I quite like Roland sounds - maybe their snares kinda suck but other I find really cool. Anyway, maybe really I should go to drum shop to try out things, but welp, the nearest music shop where really I can try out things is like around 200 kilometers from me. Anyway v2, at now gonna just look at TD17-KL or DTX5x2. About title, tbh I think DTX6K3X offers more things I like than TD-17KVX.
Thanks for all help!

Tbh, I quite like Roland sounds - maybe their snares kinda suck but other I find really cool. Anyway, maybe really I should go to drum shop to try out things, but welp, the nearest music shop where really I can try out things is like around 200 kilometers from me. Anyway v2, at now gonna just look at TD17-KL or DTX5x2. About title, tbh I think DTX6K3X offers more things I like than TD-17KVX.
Thanks for all help!
I think at least you can find sound samples on youtube. There's a new config TD07dmk, which is a 1dmk with the better 07 module.

The td17-KL does not have bluetooth. I'm pretty sure of that. Check and make sure if that is important to you.

It was important to me. I bought the TD17-KV then added the KVX style hi-hat and an additional cymbal. I have no complaints.

The td17-KL does not have bluetooth. I'm pretty sure of that. Check and make sure if that is important to you.

It was important to me. I bought the TD17-KV then added the KVX style hi-hat and an additional cymbal. I have no complaints.
Useless for me tbh, firstly I thought it would be cool but then I realised cables exist.

Btw, does anyone know if I can get bell sound with CY-8 by strong-hitting bow like it's on TD-1, TD-4 and similar? Or can It be done by sound layering?

Back