TD-11K Adjusting the CY-8 ride cymbal zones or switching to a CY-13?

Kenny202

Looking at a TD-11K kit. This is the budget kit with the rubber tom pads and the 2 x CY-8 cymbals. Have seen a couple of you tube videos where the guy says using the CY-8 as a ride you need to use the edge as a bell and the surface as the ride. I understand this is only a 2 zone pad. What I would really like to do is have the edge as a crash and surface as a ride. I believe most of this stuff is adjustable and assignable in the TD-11 so I should be able to change it right?

An obvious answer would be to get the KV kit but I live in remote Thailand and this kit is pretty much the only thing available right now at a decent price and I don't want to buy a new kit.

Other choice for me would be to use a CY-13 on the ride. The next model up, the TD-11KV actually has the CY-13 with the 3 zones and the modules are identical. Does anyone know what I would need to do here to add the CY-13? I believe the CY-13 has two jack inputs to get the three zones. So I guess on the KV harness it has two jacks for the CY-13. Does anyone know if the K kit comes with the same wiring harness and has the spare jack? If not could I simply run another cable to the aux (crash 2 trigger) ? And speaking of cables I have read you can't just use like a normal 1/4"M to 1/4"M lead. You need to have a 100 ohm resistor.

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Looking at a TD-11K kit. This is the budget kit with the rubber tom pads and the 2 x CY-8 cymbals. Have seen a couple of you tube videos where the guy says using the CY-8 as a ride you need to use the edge as a bell and the surface as the ride. I understand this is only a 2 zone pad. What I would really like to do is have the edge as a crash and surface as a ride. I believe most of this stuff is adjustable and assignable in the TD-11 so I should be able to change it right?

An obvious answer would be to get the KV kit but I live in remote Thailand and this kit is pretty much the only thing available right now at a decent price and I don't want to buy a new kit.

Other choice for me would be to use a CY-13 on the ride. The next model up, the TD-11KV actually has the CY-13 with the 3 zones and the modules are identical. Does anyone know what I would need to do here to add the CY-13? I believe the CY-13 has two jack inputs to get the three zones. So I guess on the KV harness it has two jacks for the CY-13. Does anyone know if the K kit comes with the same wiring harness and has the spare jack? If not could I simply run another cable to the aux (crash 2 trigger) ? And speaking of cables I have read you can't just use like a normal 1/4"M to 1/4"M lead. You need to have a 100 ohm resistor.
The cable snake comes with an extra cable that would be used if you have a 3 zone ride with two inputs. The zones are assignable in the module. Normal splitters won't work you do need the 100 ohm resistor, but it's really easy to make your own just follow vdrum tips tutorial in YouTube.

Kenny202

Oh man that would be great. I don't care about the mesh heads so much so can live with that but do care about the 3 zone cymbal. So what you are saying is the harness for the 11K and KV are the same? So you have the spare jack for Crash 2? Unfortunately buying sight unseen so want to be sure before I get it

Kenny202

I just read a bit on the set up manual and there is a female RDB joiner....(RIDE BELL) that hangs off the harness down near the snare. I assume you can run a lead from that up to the ride bell. However Roland has a little update on their site and they say to upgrade a TD-11K to a CY-13 use the RD (ride) cable and CR2 cable.....so it must have an extra ride bell input as well as an extra crash input. Excellent