Taye snare drums. Any good?

johnwesley

Silver Member
Never hear any of you talking about them, nor do I know anyone who owns one. Looking at a studio birch and thinking it's like a good looking woman. Attracted by appearance and wondering what she's like. Any thougts, opinions on Taye snares? JW

Attachments

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Re: Taye snare drums. Any good?

I played a few of those at NAMM last year (I finally got smart and brought my own sticks) and I loved them! The only thing I didn't dig was having to position the drum in such a way that when I went for rim shots, I wasn't hitting the tension claws. I played the 7x14 black piano snare and it was a wonderful experience (from what you can hear on the NAMM show floor). But I think those Taye snares would work for you, whatever style you play. The big selling point is the wood hoops and the "more woody than otherwise" tone that is psychologically planted in your brain before you hit it with a stick.

If they made whole sets of toms like that, they could market a Nigel Olsson 1970s kit!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member

The standard snares are nice, but they have a Specialty line with some nice specs and sound. There's a Metalworks Vintage Brass with a 2mm shell and 2.5mm hoops that's a fabulous drum. :)

Bermuda

johnwesley

Silver Member

Appreciate the input. I was wondering about the claws being so large and the impact on rim shots. Oh yeah....just what I need....ANOTHER snare drum. JW

Super Phil

Taye snare drums are fantastic. I've used at least half a dozen of their snares live and recording, and they've been awesome. Are you looking at that StudioBirch with wood hoops that's on Ebay?

johnwesley

Silver Member

Taye snare drums are fantastic. I've used at least half a dozen of their snares live and recording, and they've been awesome. Are you looking at that StudioBirch with wood hoops that's on Ebay?
Yeah I am. Really nice looking snare. Have a couple birch snares already and love the sound.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member

I used to own a Taye kit, and still own a Studio Maple snare. They make the normal range of drums and all are excellent in my opinion. Customer service is also great if you ever need help. Taye in the middle

Attachments

CommanderRoss

Silver Member

I dig them and have demo'd a few over the years. The wood hoops & claws give that "mini-bass drum" look with the warmth of more wood than metal.
However, they're WELL outside of my price range, so I don't see myself owning one anytime soon.

Super Phil

Another good place to check is the Guitar Center website. They seem to have some good deals on Taye snares.

Dwight

The standard snares are nice, but they have a Specialty line with some nice specs and sound. There's a Metalworks Vintage Brass with a 2mm shell and 2.5mm hoops that's a fabulous drum. :)

Bermuda
I bought a Vintage Brass Metalworks Taye on Bermuda's recommendation. It sounds great!

markdrum

Silver Member
Taye also makes an aluminum snare with the wood hoops and, according to the marketing blurb, a 6 mm shell. It's a sweet drum. Actually all of the professional Taye drums that I've played have been great. They're as good as any brand out there.

slingerlandfreak

I played and owned taye gokit, snare sounded amazing, small 18 bassdrum too, only thing that I didn’t like was 12 tom was not possible to tune -maybe problem with bearing edge , otherwise drums and hardware of the gokit were very good