Taye ???? Help ID..

pearlygates

Gold Member
I just acquired this kit.. can anyone tell me what series they are and what wood the shells are made of? I can tell you that they sound great! I am really liking these drums... plus they really didn't cost me much.. I am thinking of flippin' them, but now I don't know..
Tayedrums002.jpg

Tayedrums001.jpg

Tayedrums009.jpg

Tayedrums014.jpg

Nice looking kit!
I like the finish and the color.
I like the tom mount.
I like the lugs too.

Looks like a keeper to me!

I don't see to many Taye kits so I can't help you with any info.
I just liked the looks of the kit so I was compelled to comment.

I would guess that it is a Rock Pro Birch/Basswood or Poplar.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob.... Yeah them more I play it... The more I like it! Maybe Grunter will know.. I think he owned a Taye Pro X for awhile?

I'm guessing Rock Pro. The ProX has a rectangular badge. Go to www.tayedrums.com for a product search

The Rock Pro are made of Poplar. Looking at the site now I don't see any round badges so I'm guessing they are a few years old...

You can email them, Taye, and I'm sure they can tell you. Their customer service is fantastic.

I'm guessing Rock Pro. The ProX has a rectangular badge. Go to www.tayedrums.com for a product search

The Rock Pro are made of Poplar. Looking at the site now I don't see any round badges so I'm guessing they are a few years old...

You can email them, Taye, and I'm sure they can tell you. Their customer service is fantastic.
I sent them a email along with some pix.. Thanks man.

What a nice sounding drum set!

My Pro X set was Birch/Basswood and sounded fine to me. I would buy Taye again without fear. Glad I could help.
Did you put the Kickport on the bass or was it already there? And how does it sound>?

My Pro X set was Birch/Basswood and sounded fine to me. I would buy Taye again without fear. Glad I could help.
Did you put the Kickport on the bass or was it already there? And how does it sound>?
I put the kick port in.. I had it as an extra. The kick sounds amazing! it's an older school 16x22" ... seems Taye favors the shallower kick shells. I just may end up keeping this kit!
I am impressed. This is the first Taye kit I have ever played. I got the thing for next to nothing and it cleaned up pretty nicely.. I have the matching 13" rack tom, but I prolly won't put that in the set up.

I really like the shallow bass drums.
I don't get all of these 18 and 20 inch deep drums.

I also like the tone of poplar.
Poplar is a great sounding wood for low volume play.
I prefer my poplar kit for small room low volume gigs.
Poplar often gets an unfair bad rap as a drum shell wood.
It finishes and takes stain well also.

I really like the shallow bass drums.
I don't get all of these 18 and 20 inch deep drums.

I also like the tone of poplar.
Poplar is a great sounding wood for low volume play.
I prefer my poplar kit for small room low volume gigs.
Poplar often gets an unfair bad rap as a drum shell wood.
It finishes and takes stain well also.
I like the shallower kick shell as well.. As far as shell layup for this kit..It looks to be a hybrid from a cross section view.. The innner ply looks to have a discernible grain..which leads me to think that this is not a 100% poplar shell..?
I sent Taye customer service a few pix of the drums and a request for info.. I guess I will find out soon.

Received a response from Taye today.. I am pleasantly surprised!
here's a copy of the response to what series and wood my kit was made from..

Thanks for contacting us.

What you have is actually a discontinued line called TourPerformer which was replaced by TourPro.

TourPerformer:
Shells: Blend of Mahogany and White Bass
Finish: Alpine Green Laminate Finish
Year of Manufacture: ~2004
Configuration: Looks to me like you've got 22x16 Bass, 13x10 Rack Tom, 16x16 Floor Tom

Your kit is in great condition! Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks!
--
Best Regards,

TayeCL001-1.jpg

TayeCL002.jpg

Wow! You hit that deal right between the eyes!
That is a keeper.
Enjoy!

Back