Taye Drums - opinions?

mallethead

Hey Ya'll! This is my first time here and I'm hoping that some of you good people can help me out with some advice. Here I am some 25 years after my last paying gig looking to get back into music and I need a new kit that ain't going to leave my wallet as empty as intergalactic space and my better half still talking to me. My last set were Tama Imperialstars, manufactured in the '70s. I recently looked at some new Tamas and was surprised to see that the quality was not as good, in my opinion as my old set, hence, I am looking for something decent, mid-range price. Don't get me wrong, the new Tamas seem to be OK, and I could live with them but I am a bit intrigued by the Taye drums. I'm looking at the lower end of the spectrum at some new Taye RockPro tubs. Before I lay down $659 for a 6 piece shell with a boom stand, straight stand, hi-hat stand, hideaway boom stand, snare stand, Taye's standard pedal and attachable tom mount, I wanted to get some opinions on these drums. I plan to round this set out with some quality Zildjians. This will be my only set for rehearsal and gigs. can anyone render an opinion on this kit or suggest something better for the money?

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum - always glad to welcome a new member.

Well I didn't want to rename and move your thread as it's your very first post but once you renamed it yourself I wasn't completely satisfied with the new thread title - sorry, so I edited it, I think it's clearer now. Hopefully you don't mind me having moved/renamed your thread.

As for more info on Taye drums - you could use the search function. Taye drums come up on this forum once in a while, there should be some existing threads/info on them.

As Arky said, you'll be able to find similar threads on the forum to help you out.

What everyone's gonna tell you is to buy with your ears, man. Get a real good kit that you love and works for what you want to play. Also, buying used can save you lots if you're patient and wait for a great deal on a kit you really love. Same goes for cymbals.

Taye drums are really interesting, though. They aren't a huge name company and I'm not sure why because they seem to have a nice reputation. Especially their kits. Regarding the hardware pack, I know they make their own hardware for everything, but people on the internet seem to have mixed feeling about it. At least that's how it seemed to me when I did some research into Taye.

In my opinion, what I would do is go used on a kit and absolutely get a pair of hats and a ride before any other cymbals. Since you're going to be gigging and moving the your kit around, go for more heavy weight hardware by a bigger company (Gibraltar or Tama are my personal favorites).

Oh, and don't forget about new heads!

Thanks Creeply. My big problem about "going with my ears" is the nearest retailer to me with a set of Taye Rockpros I can actually touch is 101 miles away. I suppose I'll have to make the drive. I can order them online with a 100% refund promise for 30 days but who wants to go through that hassle. My old Tamas were of the "concert" variety with a non-resonant thud on the toms and bass ( made so by my insertion of terry-towel strips under the heads and a pillow in the bass) LOVE THAT HARD HITTIN' THUMP! Sort of like the old Steve Miller sound. I had a 6 and 1/2 inch solid brass, nickel plate snare that would ring out a rimshot that cut the air for 2 miles! I loved that snare. I see what you are saying about everyone is going to tell me to judge with my ears and in the end of course I will. Even if I find some thing I don't quite care for sound wise, hey, I got plenty of towels man!

I owned a set of Taye ProX and they were fine. Birch/basswood shells and worth the money. The hardware probably wasn't gig ready but for set up in the house and playing, no problem. The Rock Pro are a step down so check what you buy before you buy.

Welcome to the forum! I find it curious that you would think the new Tamas aren't built as well as the old ones. Perhaps you were looking at the new Imperialstars? Those are no longer the top shelf line. Tamas' Starclassic is actually pro level. But considering your budget, Taye makes good stuff.

Perhaps you were looking at the new Imperialstars?

Ironically enough, Imperialstars are now one of Tama's lowest-level kits, on par with the RockPro. Personally I think you would be better served by something like a Tama Silverstar, PDP Concept, or Yamaha Stage Custom (!) than this low-end stuff.

The Yamaha has super-solid drum hardware and very good quality shells for the price. Similar in price to the RockPro but doesn't come with any stands. For stands, I'd go with a Gibraltar 5601 pack- Gibraltar make good products at very attractive prices.

If this dips into your cymbal budget, don't understand the quality of cymbals you can find when buying used.

Thanks Creeply. My big problem about "going with my ears" is the nearest retailer to me with a set of Taye Rockpros I can actually touch is 101 miles away. I suppose I'll have to make the drive. I can order them online with a 100% refund promise for 30 days but who wants to go through that hassle. My old Tamas were of the "concert" variety with a non-resonant thud on the toms and bass ( made so by my insertion of terry-towel strips under the heads and a pillow in the bass) LOVE THAT HARD HITTIN' THUMP! Sort of like the old Steve Miller sound. I had a 6 and 1/2 inch solid brass, nickel plate snare that would ring out a rimshot that cut the air for 2 miles! I loved that snare. I see what you are saying about everyone is going to tell me to judge with my ears and in the end of course I will. Even if I find some thing I don't quite care for sound wise, hey, I got plenty of towels man!
[/QUOTE]

I agree with Yamaha Stage Customs in this price range, and if you like heavy duty hardware, you can't beat the upper end Yamaha stands. However, if your plan is to muffle with towels and pillows, it won't matter what you buy. The alternative is to use pre-muffled heads that have integrated tone rings, like Remo PS-3's or Aquarian Super 2 with Studio Ring.

Taye are nice drums, well-made, smart hardware, not very popular and under-rated IMO.
Studio Maple and ProX are great lines for the money.

Taye are nice drums, well-made, smart hardware, not very popular and under-rated IMO.
Studio Maple and ProX are great lines for the money.
http://www.justdrumsonline.com/p-2129-taye-px520j-prox-5pc-shell-pack-with-hardware.aspx
You can get some great deals on the ProX too. I think the lugs are the same as on the upper lines, but they only have 1.6mm hoops and the hardware that comes with them is lighter. That link is one of the best deal I saw on new drum kits when I was shopping for my son.

ProX look nice but the Stage Custom are all-birch instead of birch/basswood- just a heads up :) if you have any drum-selling stores near you they might be nice enough to get out a set in your price range if you are serious about buying. They'll be even happier to pull one out-of-box if you're buying your Zildjians from them, FYI.

I just think their drums are just o-Taye, nothing special. :)

The great Hal Blaine was an endorser at one point in time years ago. Not sure if he is anymore.

Back