TAMA's Half Soft Sound Beater

beatdat

Woo-hoo!!!

They did it!! They finally did it!!

Tama's made a soft sound beater for double pedals!

Finally! They must have heard me, because I've been griping about them not making one since they came out with the soft sound beater a couple of years ago. I griped to the guys at the drum shop, I griped to my drum teacher, I griped to my friends and family - heck, I griped to anyone who would listen.

Now I can practice without shaking the house. Now I don't have to think of buying another regular size soft sound beater and cutting both of them in half. Now I don't have to try and convert my double pedal into two single pedals, and then buy another bass drum practice pad to go with it. Now I don't have to stop practicing once everyone gets home.

Here it is:

Isn't it beautiful?

Mrrooter

I was just looking at this. I haven’t bought the original but I’m curious about it. How quiet is the original? How does it feel compared to the average beater? I’ve been contemplating either going with this or buying the Aquarian Super Pad bass drum cover for practicing without driving the neighbors crazy.

beatdat

I was just looking at this. I haven’t bought the original but I’m curious about it. How quiet is the original? How does it feel compared to the average beater? I’ve been contemplating either going with this or buying the Aquarian Super Pad bass drum cover for practicing without driving the neighbors crazy.
I've never used mine with my kit, only with a Gibraltar bass drum practice pad.

As far as noise level, it's much, much quieter than my SC beater smacking the pad, and there are fewer impact vibrations transferred through the floor and the walls. It's the quietest bass drum beater I've played.

With respect to how it feels, well, there's always a bit of a trade-off when you go from real drums and whatnot to a "silent" option, but, in this case, I found it nominal in light of how quiet it is and that fact that it allows me to practice without disturbing anyone at home (at least until everyone goes to sleep) - it's a trade-off I'm happy to live with.

I've never tried or heard the Aquarian Super Pad, maybe somebody will chime in.