Tamadrm

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Ladies and Gentlemen, I may have some sad news.

None of us have seen Steve, aka Tamadrm for some time on here. The last time he logged in was May. This concerned me, knowing that he was a very regular contributor here and had built lasting relationships with members.

I did some Internet searching and found an online book of remembrance with a reference to Steve.

http://harrywmoore.frontrunnerpro.com/book-of-memories/2247019/Bettenhauser-Stephen/view-a-story.php?StoryId=5455783

May I say that this is not confirmed. Further searches have found nothing more but it may appear that our friend Steve has passed. I wish his friends and family all the best.

Thank you.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Oh wow, I was wondering why he hadn't been posting here in so long. If true, definitely a loss for our community here. Steve was always the go-to guy for the history of all things drum-related, and an all-around solid dude.

Let's hope it isn't true.

opentune

Platinum Member
I had noticed the same, his lack of posts. I knew he was older fellow and had wondered.

BUT have you checked the Vintage Drum Forum? He was a poster there too. I was unsure of his username there, but it also may have been Tamadrm.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I had noticed the same, his lack of posts. I knew he was older fellow and had wondered.

BUT have you checked the Vintage Drum Forum? He was a poster there too. I was unsure of his username there, but it also may have been Tamadrm.
His last login there was in May, too.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Oh my goodness, this would be very sad.

I always liked Steve very much, he was invariably kind and humourous and unfailingly loyal to his friends.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Wow. I have a sinking feeling this is true. The post someone put up on the memorial page sounded eerily like Steve. I know he had COPD from Ground Zero. I remember him saying that breathing was really difficult.

He would be the first close member here that I know of that passed.

I hope Steve is in a better place.

opentune

Platinum Member
His last login there was in May, too.
You're right I think it is true. The Obit link you found would indeed appear to be him. Somebody with the same name and as a nick of 'steve b' is listed on Linkedin as a 'retired detective' from Staten Island, NY. That was his occupation and location. Too bad, he was a helpful guy.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Well I guess this should be a memorial thread for Steve.

Steve was a Vintage drum super freak. The guy was a walking encyclopedia of drum facts, and ballistics. He had more knowledge about vintage drums than almost anyone I've ever "known".

If anyone knows more about Steve, please share what you have.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
COPD is scary as hell. Take care of your lungs, folks. Once that decline starts, there's no going back. Be aware of airborne contaminants, and if you smoke, cut it out. It's not worth slowly drowning in your own body.

I'm terribly sad to hear of this news. As big as it is, our little group seems pretty small sometimes.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Duncan, (the human bloodhound) thanks for doing your thing and bringing this to light.

I'm kind of surprised Steve didn't make arrangements to let us know. It sounds like he had a few months of decline, as the memorial is from September, while his last login was in May.

His memorial said that he was never at peace in life, and I got the same impression. Not at peace. I hope he found some.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I've seen this before and although it is definitely unconfirmed everything lines up. I felt it appropriate to raise it here so everybody could pay their respects. There are means to find a definitive answer but I don't feel that it's appropriate at this time.

There's no doubt that Steve was sometimes troubled but his contribution here is what I remember of him and although our paths didn't always cross, I will miss him.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I tried to see what I could find from the Mods log-in as far as further contact info and found nothing but an email address which I think is available to all. Sorry.

Magenta

Platinum Member
He was one of the first people to make me feel welcome here. Come to that, he was one of the first people to make most newcomers feel welcome here.

Thank you, Steve B.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Awe crap :( Just picking this up now. I dearly hope this isn't true, but if it is, that's a blow for sure. Steve always had my back when things got a bit shitty. He wasn't afraid of saying it how it is, & I respect that immensely. I, like others, was aware of his health challenges, but I had no idea he was that poorly.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I didn't get to know Steve though I'm sure I've read some of his posts. So sad to hear of the loss. What I really do find touching is the concern the DW forum has for one of its members- that is really awesome. It's amazing the friendships you can make online. You ladies and gentlemen are real ladies and gentlemen.
Warms the cockles of my heart.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I just don't want to believe this.

I PM'd him a while back and got no reply, which is definitely out of character. I'd simply hoped that he'd had enough of this place and was enjoying himself on the vintage forum.

I liked him a hell of a lot.

I'll miss his knowledge immensely.........his sharp tongue even more.

Rest easy, my friend.

opentune

Platinum Member
Steve B answered my first thread posted here. Of course it was about a Ludwig snare, his fave topic. He shared generously. I never ever got a sense he was troubled at all, but definitely his years in NYC police force had shown him a variety of human character traits, of which he was not shy about sharing. He definitely knew about criminals, mental illness and the homeless. I too kind of liked his rebuttals, biases, and sharp tongue on here.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I liked reading his posts. I'll miss that.

When I bought my Supra about a year and a half ago and posted pictures, Steve posted that he thought that it may well be a B-stock Chrome over Brass since he has never seen or heard of a cut badge Ludalloy Supraphonic, only those that are COB.

Funny thing, I still haven't checked.

alparrott

Platinum Member
This is very sad news. Rest easy, Steve, and thank you for all you brought to this little corner of the interwebs.