Tama unacceptable quality control help

harryconway

Platinum Member
Is a understatement I have contacted my dealer to return them or have replacements.
I am thinking of returning and trying Gretsch Catalina , or pearl decafe maple
Tama makes this kit in a lacquer finish.

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
I am a Tama player and this is absolutely unacceptable.
Definitely return

timmdrum

Silver Member
I don't recall seeing this on my old '91 Rockstar kit, the StageStar kit I had for about a year, or the Force 3003 I owned for about a year also (different year), but my Pacific CX kit isn't done with this wedge in the outer ply. Seems like a purposeful shortcut to aid the labor process of lining up the wrap correctly, but, an odd one, to me. I agree with those who say that since the wedge isn't on the apex of the bearing edge, it won't affect the heads, so if you like everything else about the drums, particularly the sound, I'd keep 'em. If you love the sound but can't get past this wedge, I'd check with the dealer and/or Tama/Hoshino to see if this is indeed purposeful, and if it's a defect, return them for a replacement, or if it's how they're made, return them for a lacquered Superstar kit. Check out @Jeremy Crockett 's Garnet Lacepine Bark kit here.

A J

Return them. I wouldn't be happy with a brand new kit with such a glaring manufacturing flaw.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have no idea how they do stuff at Tama, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like a scarf joint as opposed to a notch. Does Tama use scarf joints?

Bongofury

There are now lacquered kits or wrap kits
Around in 7 piece set up where I’m from
Do to Covid and now there is no more Canadian rep . We deal directly with the
U.S . Rep. They told me 8 months wait
And it’s already gone up 300.00 bucks

wraub

Gold Member
It looks like a milled spot for the wrap to lay in at the start, to eliminate a bulge as it overlaps. I would imagine the shells are run over something like a table mounted cutter or router that might have an adjustable depth setting, and I can imagine a worker not being careful setting a shell onto the surface and the cutter edge chunking out a bit more wood than really needed. It doesn't seem to go through the shell, and is on the outside of the bearing edge, so likely wouldn't be a structural issue. That said, it would probably annoy me anytime I changed heads, or, as noted above, I preferred clear heads (which I do).

How do they sound?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Thanks everyone I’m sure the Tama rep is going to say that’s how they are made.
I really like the drums and sound and vintage wrap but that notch might drive me crazy it does look like cheap way out. I’ll see what the rep says
Then decide what to do. I’m getting a set of Catalina’s sent in then I’ll decide. This was going to be my last kit . I’m an older dude
And my old band has gotten back together For fun. I didn’t want to buy high end drums . These entry level maple drums give
A lot for the money… any last recommendations ??
Thanks. All
I can tell you without a doubt, that IS how the Tamas are made. I own them, and that's how they do their wrap. I've even unwrapped a set and put an oil stain on, and that notch is clearly visible. Luckily it's at the back of each drum.

Those drums passed QC because they are made correctly, according to the design.

If you don't like that design, try a different brand or maybe a lacquer.

I'll add, I don't think it affects the sound, because the notch is outside the actual edge that touches the head. It doesn't touch the head at all.

TK-421

There are now lacquered kits or wrap kits
Around in 7 piece set up where I’m from
Do to Covid and now there is no more Canadian rep . We deal directly with the
U.S . Rep. They told me 8 months wait
And it’s already gone up 300.00 bucks
With a few tweaks, this could be poetry.

There are now lacquered kits or wrapped,
around 7 pieces where I’m at.
But Covid killed our Canadian rep
so now we deal straight with the U.S.
They told me I‘d have to wait 8 months,
but it’s gone up 300 bucks—so I’m done.

Bongofury

Dam spell check…we’ll at least I’ll blame it on that…lol . Maybe I should give up the drums and become a Lyricist .😂😂

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If you're within your money-back-guarantee, if you're unhappy they should take them back and give you a full refund. But I kinda agree that the notch is on the outside ply, and it doesn't really affect the head sitting on the bearing edge. If the drum tunes and sings then that's proof the notch isn't affecting the drum. But if you're in the money-back window, you can definitely return them for something else. I'm with the fellow that recommended the Yamaha Stage Customs. Those drums are the best bang for buck on the market.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I can tell you without a doubt, that IS how the Tamas are made. I own them, and that's how they do their wrap. I've even unwrapped a set and put an oil stain on, and that notch is clearly visible. Luckily it's at the back of each drum.

Those drums passed QC because they are made correctly, according to the design.

If you don't like that design, try a different brand or maybe a lacquer.
As far as I know, it’s how everyone makes their shell when they are installing a wrap. Can anyone post a photo of a Yamaha, Pearl or Gretsch with a wrap and show the outside edge where the wrap begins? Now I’m curious.

Stroman

Platinum Member
As far as I know, it’s how everyone makes their shell when they are installing a wrap. Can anyone post a photo of a Yamaha, Pearl or Gretsch with a wrap and show the outside edge where the wrap begins? Now I’m curious.
I can post a wrapped Ludwig a little later.

wraub

Gold Member
A quick look at my wrapped Yamaha shells shows no similar notch...I'll take pics and post asap.

Stroman

Platinum Member
As you can see, my Ludwig Classic Maples have no notch, which is what I thought I remembered.

So, clearly, you have two different schools of design at playIMG_20220116_172241332_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220116_172251756_HDR.jpgIMG_20220116_172315243_HDR.jpg

Bongofury

I think there is no need for the notch
Not sure why there doing it because
They still over lap further down.
I wonder why Ludwig puts the seem under the lug and not just past it . 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
I give up. I’m big fan of Wrapped drums
And who they effect the sound that’s what I grew up . Lacquered kits were very
Rare and consider high end back in the day. Any photos out there of wrapped prims . Pearl , Yamaha , pdp

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My Pearl Midtown 13" floor tom has the notch:
20220116_192807.jpg
I like this pic. You can see the scarf joints in the plys. There is no space/gap/air anything at all with these drums. Not bad for a <$500 kit (when I bought it).

calan

Silver Member
To my knowledge, the notch is how Tama typically handles the issue of how to seam a wrap. I don’t know what the specification of said notch is, or what the acceptable tolerance of deviation is. There should be a standard, for the sake of both the customer and the retailer.

From my own experience, my first BB kit (and first Tama) kit was wrapped, and I was fairly shocked when I took a head off. I can’t say with any certainty if the notch was as deep as shown here, just that I’d never seen it before.

I’ve since moved to a lacquered version, and those shells are undisturbed.