Tama tom arm

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
Has it always been this way & I'm just blind or is this new?
I like this set up over the basket type you usually see.
Tama.jpgTama 2.jpgTama 3.jpg

That tom stand is from their top of the line Stage series. I like that it has a smaller footprint (much like a snare stand) as opposed the larger footprint of a cymbal stand that most tom stands have. Not cheap, but looks to be well worth it - I have one in mind for myself.

Isnt this the Air Ride snare basket revisited? I liked the idea, but never played on one.

Seems it's been out since 2016 when it made it's winter NAMM debut.
I like how it's all centered so the tip over factor would be very low. Everything is lined up over itself giving the small, solid footprint.
Pricey, but good. I wonder if other brand mounts can fit this arm?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HTS108W--tama-htw108w-star-series-single-tom-stand
Tama use 10.5mm Tom Posts, so any brand that uses that size will work. DW and others that use 12.7mm won’t.

Tama use 10.5mm Tom Posts, so any brand that uses that size will work. DW and others that use 12.7mm won’t.
Good to know.
I have a Gretsch Catalina Club 12" that would look good on this. But I thought it looked too skinny for what I use now.
Too bad. I like the look of this.

Good to know.
I have a Gretsch Catalina Club 12" that would look good on this. But I thought it looked too skinny for what I use now.
If the bracket on the tom is made for 12.5 mm, it should still be able to tighten down to 10.5 mm. Where we run into trouble is when the post/rod is too fat for the bracket.

Good to know.

Another option is to swap out the bracket on the Catalina tom. Obviously you'd have to verify the mounting holes line up on the Catalina mounting system.

If the bracket on the tom is made for 12.5 mm, it should still be able to tighten down to 10.5 mm. Where we run into trouble is when the post/rod is too fat for the bracket.
This is a really good point that I overlooked. I have this single tom stand, so I’ll take it with me to the music store today and check it out on a Gretsch kit there.

I would advocate for also using a tom arm memory lock to help secure the tom in place going from a 12.7 to a 10.5 make be only 2.2mm, but it can make a difference -especially if you're a basher.

Maybe take one of those rubber shrink sleeves used for electrical wires and shrink it on the Tama post? It is easily removable later if needed and gives some extra space to fill the mounting bracket in the tom. It possibly would act like a gasket on a lug to increase resonance though that is debatable.

Back