Tama Swingstar questions

Same here!! My first kit was a Tama Swingstar, just like in the pics. That vintage blue wrap... Not a bad kit at all for the money. With proper heads on it, it sounded decent. The worst part of the kit was the tinny cymbals that came with it. Yikes...

When my mom bought that kit for me it actually didn't come with cymbals. To make a really long story short, she drew a winning ticket at an event she was attending for work and won a really fancy guitar amp courtesy of the local mom'n'pop gear shop (Dave Phillips Music and Sound, Phillipsburg NJ). When she went to the shop to claim her prize she explained how appreciative she was however her son is an aspiring drummer with no cymbals so she will probably just sell it. They felt bad and offered her a set of cymbals in place of the amp! So I ended up with 14" new beats, 16" A medium thin crash, and a 20" zxt medium ride for free! Those, along with the swingstar, was the foundation of my drumming.

On the toms, I remember that kit really liking pinstripes, black dots, and pretty much any 'standard' 2 ply head. The bass drum would choke a little bit with a 2ply so I usually stuck with single.

If I could find a deal like OP's on a swingstar today... I would nab it right up.

Before she bought me the swingstar she said, "you want to play drums? Alright". She took me to the gear shop and said "Pick out a pair of sticks. If you want to play drums then you better spend the next year tapping on every f_____g thing in the house to show me it's worth it!"

So I would tap on the top of the couch and stare her dead in the eye while she was watching tv. That lasted maybe two months tops before I had proper drums lol.

She’s mine! Pics to follow - maybe later or tomorrow. Having too much fun playing on the thing. May have to tweak it a little and get some new heads (it has old Remo Weatherking Pinstripes on the toms, with duct tape on too for muffling?). But it’s fun playing these larger sizes for now and the bass drum boooooms! Wrap is impeccable too. Even better, my wife likes the color of it!

She’s mine! Pics to follow - maybe later or tomorrow. Having too much fun playing on the thing. May have to tweak it a little and get some new heads (it has old Remo Weatherking Pinstripes on the toms, with duct tape on too for muffling?). But it’s fun playing these larger sizes for now and the bass drum boooooms! Wrap is impeccable too. Even better, my wife likes the color of it!

As the cool kids say these days.... "Mad jelly"

As the cool kids say these days.... "Mad jelly"
Haha! Thanks. Like I said, some minor tweaking to follow, but I checked the inside of two of the toms and there are zero issues. Not sure why these are “bargain” Tama drums. They look and sound more expensive.
Also, I’ve never owned Tama drums, and I decided if I was getting a “rock” kit, now would be the time.

Not sure why these are “bargain” Tama drums. They look and sound more expensive.
Also, I’ve never owned Tama drums, and I decided if I was getting a “rock” kit, now would be the time.
By 1999 the Tama line had the Starclassic Maple, Starclassic Performer, Artstar Custom, Artstar ES, Rockstar Custom, Rockstar, and Swingstar. I think the Rockstar and Swingstar both had 8 ply Philippine Mahogany shells. Hardware gets better, with the higher priced kits. Heavier stands and suspension mounts, etc. But Tama knew what they were doing (still do).

Found this ..... 1999 Tama Swingstar ..... looks like your kit. http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/tama/catalog/1999Swingstar.pdf

Here's the upper lines .... http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/tama/catalog/1998EU.pdf

Last edited:
By 1999 the Tama line had the Starclassic Maple, Starclassic Performer, Artstar Custom, Artstar ES, Rockstar Custom, Rockstar, and Swingstar. I think the Rockstar and Swingstar both had 8 ply Philippine Mahogany shells. Hardware gets better, with the higher priced kits. Heavier stands and suspension mounts, etc. But Tama knew what they were doing (still do).

Found this ..... 1999 Tama Swingstar ..... looks like your kit. http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/tama/catalog/1999Swingstar.pdf

Here's the upper lines .... http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/pdf/tama/catalog/1998EU.pdf
Thanks for this! Turns out it looks like it’s the 1999 Swingstar (or 2000, not sure how long they lasted). Owner told me the rack toms were 12x9 and 13x10 but I measured them and they are the 12x10 and 13x11 in that Tama catalog. Not sure how these have lasted 20+ years with no nicks or dents but there you have it.

Next project is new heads. The old ones are beat up and could use some new ones. I’m thinking CS dots as batters and maybe even go concert tom style with no reso head to get that 70’s thuddy sound. What do you think? What about the bass drum? It has the original Tama reso head so just might need a batter.

Thanks for this! Turns out it looks like it’s the 1999 Swingstar (or 2000, not sure how long they lasted). Owner told me the rack toms were 12x9 and 13x10 but I measured them and they are the 12x10 and 13x11 in that Tama catalog. Not sure how these have lasted 20+ years with no nicks or dents but there you have it.

Next project is new heads. The old ones are beat up and could use some new ones. I’m thinking CS dots as batters and maybe even go concert tom style with no reso head to get that 70’s thuddy sound. What do you think? What about the bass drum? It has the original Tama reso head so just might need a batter.

I almost always played those toms with no reso. First went ebony pinstripes and those were ok. I switched to remo black dots and never looked back (on that kit). I rode those out for a long time. This is me about 14 years ago playing my swingstar bass drum and floor tom. Clear ps3 batter and clear single ply reso with port on bass drum and black dot on floor tom with no reso. I may have been using 1 rack tom, I don't remember and the video is dark. I'm unmiced mind you (sounds better with speakers or headphones):

Just watched that video again for the first time in a long time. I am definitely using it as a 4pc with the 12 and 16 toms, both remo black dot batter and no reso. At one part in the song I do a repeating tom fill and those suckers are barky! Unmiced they cut straight through the mess.

Also proof of two separate idiot friends jumping on the bass drum with no issues.

Reactions: Jml
Owner told me the rack toms were 12x9 and 13x10 but I measured them and they are the 12x10 and 13x11 in that Tama catalog. Not sure how these have lasted 20+ years with no nicks or dents but there you have it.

Funny how owners sometimes don't even get dimensions right ..... and THEY have the drums. And yes, you got a real pristine example there.

These drums will sound good with just about any head you throw on them. I'm not a super huge concert tom guy. I have two octobans and a set of roto toms for when I wanna go that direction. But your Tama's will certainly do that. I'd probably retire that bass reso head. Keep it, for sure (wall hanger) ..... but a 20 year old head probably needs replacing.

My one "power tom" kit is a Slingerland Magnum kit ('85ish). Rack toms are 10x10 and 12x12. I have clear Pinstripes batter and clear CS black dots reso. Bass drum is a 24x14, and I'm running a clear P4 batter, and an Evans black EMAD reso. But that's just this one kit. Typically, my bass drum reso. go to heads are Superkick I or II's ..... and Powerstroke3's.

One of my favorite head combos for toms is the coated Powerstroke3 batter, and clear Ambassadors reso. I have those on both my RMV kits, and my Tama Royalstars.

Ok. Not sure why my new images are too big to process to the forum, but suffice it to say, all 3 toms now have Remo CS dots for batters. As for the resos, don’t like the look of pure concert toms and don’t want to damage the shells so I cut out 95% of the no name resos and put the bottom rim on. Essentially, it’s a concert tom but doesn’t look like it.
Next project will be the bass drum. May get new heads for that too. The batter is a powerstroke 3 but it’s a weatherking so I’m assuming it’s pretty old. Still having a blast playing a 5 piece with a big 22” bass drum for the first time.

Ok. Not sure why my new images are too big to process to the forum, but suffice it to say, all 3 toms now have Remo CS dots for batters. As for the resos, don’t like the look of pure concert toms and don’t want to damage the shells so I cut out 95% of the no name resos and put the bottom rim on. Essentially, it’s a concert tom but doesn’t look like it.
Next project will be the bass drum. May get new heads for that too. The batter is a powerstroke 3 but it’s a weatherking so I’m assuming it’s pretty old. Still having a blast playing a 5 piece with a big 22” bass drum for the first time.

I always have trouble with uploading pics here to. Someone else shared a link for this free image resizer and it worked great, I just don't remember the link.

I have exclusively been playing Evans for almost ten years now but I'll be honest... Remo black dots are my favorite heads of all time and I do miss them!

If you are going to try a ps3 you might as well just get the p3 black dot. All the tonal benefits of both heads in one with the black dot look on the bass drum!

Reactions: Jml
Ok. Some more first impressions after fooling around with the kit a little:
1. The deeper rack toms take up a bunch of room. I’m keeping the 13” if I need it but I’ve changed it to a 4 piece with the 12” rack tom and 16” floor tom for now.
2. The difference in tone from the 12” to the 16” is awesome. The 16” floor is a beast and makes me want to hit it all the time. I’m used to 14” floor toms but I’m hooked on the 16 now.
3. The deeper rack toms have also caused me to make ergonomic changes. The cymbals have to be a little higher and the bass drum has to be a little closer to reach the angled rack tom.
4. I’ve always had coated heads on toms. But I’m loving the black dot ⚫️ batter heads and cut-out resos. Despite the fact there’s no reso head, I’m still using snare weights on the toms to deaden the sustain a little more.
5. The bass drum is boomy. This is my first 22” bass drum and it just makes you want to play rock when you use it!
6. The accu-tune hoops are great! So easy to change heads and it makes the bass drum light. Maybe someone who is into expensive kits may thumb their nose at it, but it seems fantastic so far.

Ok. Some more first impressions after fooling around with the kit a little:
1. The deeper rack toms take up a bunch of room. I’m keeping the 13” if I need it but I’ve changed it to a 4 piece with the 12” rack tom and 16” floor tom for now.
2. The difference in tone from the 12” to the 16” is awesome. The 16” floor is a beast and makes me want to hit it all the time. I’m used to 14” floor toms but I’m hooked on the 16 now.
3. The deeper rack toms have also caused me to make ergonomic changes. The cymbals have to be a little higher and the bass drum has to be a little closer to reach the angled rack tom.
4. I’ve always had coated heads on toms. But I’m loving the black dot ⚫️ batter heads and cut-out resos. Despite the fact there’s no reso head, I’m still using snare weights on the toms to deaden the sustain a little more.
5. The bass drum is boomy. This is my first 22” bass drum and it just makes you want to play rock when you use it!
6. The accu-tune hoops are great! So easy to change heads and it makes the bass drum light. Maybe someone who is into expensive kits may thumb their nose at it, but it seems fantastic so far.

All of my findings exactly. I mean I literally have the exact same list haha. My 13 got the least amount of 'play' of any drum on that kit. The 12 is surprisingly low and rumbly, I later turned it into a 'floor tom' when I turned the 16 into a bass drum. I like my toms lower and flatter so I always put the 12 on a snare stand. Accutune hoops are the best thing ever, I don't care if they are ugly. I have never had a wood or metal hoop with the ease and stability of tuning as the accutune hoop and bass drum claws are annoying. I never muffled, up close my kit was boomy but it cut through to the back of the room with no mics like a champ. The further away you went... The louder and deeper it's tone was.

These weren't kits made for people to look at and drool. These were kits made to get you started and give you a reliable 'gig kit' that will never fail you when you eventually upgraded to one of their other offerings. It's why the rockstars of that era are so hard to find... People snatched up the used ones for beater kits!!

Back