Tama Superstar tension rods

opentune

Platinum Member
I have an 80's vintage Superstar bass drum. I don't like the size of the large T-rods - they stick out and catch on everything . So I was going to switch out to tension rods that require a drum key (for a neater cleaner look).

I just tried two generic rods I had kicking around and the thread seems thicker? Do Tama drums only take Tama tension rods?
or can a sub in some after market Gibraltar or Pearl rods?
I would of thought all this was pretty standardized (except for the older 60's drums)

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
Re: tama superstart tension rods

If they are the stock T rods then they are standard, i have 4 vintage superstar bass drums and have changed the rods on them,

opentune

Platinum Member

thank you for the info. They are indeed original Superstar lugs and T-rods, so I'm not sure why the two extras I had kicking around would not fit. They looked like any normal tension rod. hmmmm

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member

I just got on-line at one of the drum builder suppliers and ordered a bunch of bass drum tension rods, no problems,

Do the original t rods fit correctly?

opentune

Platinum Member
yes originals fit correctly. Picked up some new ones today, they fit. Gibraltars. Thanks for your help.

If I might ask, just curious, what heads do you use on your Superstar birch bass drums?
I've seen pics o f your kit but forget.

It my first birch bass drum (its 14x22) ,and with such a thick shell notice it is not as warm as others i've had. I'm rolling with PS3 coated batter, Amb coated reso right now.

Soupy

Silver Member
Pearl has used different-sized t-rods on bass drums (and only bass drums). My old Exports were like that.