Tama Superstar Snare 8x14 serial number help

Andy Granelli

Hello. Just scored a Tama superstar 8x14. Can anyone add a little color as to the serial number on the badge and the numbers stamped on the shell? I believe the drum to be birch, serial number starts with 84, so I’m also assuming it’s from 1984. Anyone know if the other numbers denote anything interesting? What does the stamped numbers inside mean? Thanks for your help!

View attachment 91075View attachment 9107559F48449-3DAF-4E07-8E90-2964B3A68551.jpeg2A3FC9E3-A00C-4714-9607-682C5AD303C0.jpegView attachment 91075

Reactions: TJK

fl.tom

The 84-* prefix on the serial number does indeed indicate it was built in 1984. Tama only used this prefixing between ~1982-84 though many of us wish it would have been continued to simplify dating of their subsequent drums.

The shell is 6-ply birch and the finish appears to be their Cherry Wine offering. Great snare and yours appears to be in very nice condition.

I don’t remember any ink stamps being used on the inside of the shells during this time, but it may be an encoded QC stamp and I just forgot. Will try to look at my old Supes and notes later this week to verify.

Congratulations!

Andy Granelli

Thanks guys! I’m pretty stoked. I used the same exact snare on some recordings. The drum tech, Mike, was the owner. That snare was used on a bunch of Guns N’ Roses tracks and most famously on November Rain. Mike’s is called “Big Red”, it’s been on a ton of songs I’m sure we all know.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Hello. Just scored a Tama superstar 8x14. Can anyone add a little color as to the serial number on the badge and the numbers stamped on the shell? I believe the drum to be birch, serial number starts with 84, so I’m also assuming it’s from 1984. Anyone know if the other numbers denote anything interesting? What does the stamped numbers inside mean? Thanks for your help!

View attachment 91075View attachment 91075View attachment 91076View attachment 91077View attachment 91075
That is very cool. Congratulations. It's hard to believe that we went from that drum towards everyone liking Piccolo snare drums in the 80s LOL