Tama superstar shell construction

roncadillac

OK, you have my curiosity peaked here, Ron.

I keep seeing that statement over and over again, but I'm not aware of a single "pro" that does that. Just because I'm not aware of any, though, doesn't mean it doesn't happen - I'm just not aware of any. But I'm not aware of a lot of things. So . . .

Assuming that when we say "pros," we are talking about widely-known professional drummers, can somebody point them out? Remember, we're looking for professional, well-known drummers who use Tama Rockstars or Pearl Exports as their touring kit.

(This probably should be a separate thread, huh?)

GeeDeeEmm
During his time with Shadows Fall, Jason Bittner ran rockstars for live and recording. Nick Pierce Used Superstars early on with Unearth and still occasionally does (records with starclassics). Daniel Davidson used rockstars to record atleast the first, if not the first two, Norma Jean albums as well as live during the same time until switching to... Truth or sjc, something like that. He also played gretsch and dw at points but his most iconic recordings and live shows were on a 5 piece rockstar. Blake Richardson from Between The Buried And Me used a rockstar (pretty sure, maybe a superstar) for their early tours, possibly recordings as well. Ben Koller has been seen on rockstars in early Converge years. John Stainer was seen using rockstars occasionally with Helmet, wouldn't be surprised if those long high tension lugs responded well to his tuning method. Damon Che from Don Caballero exclusively used pearl exports (plus sabian B8s and the worst snare placement ever).

That's what I remembered off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. Keep in mind, alot of these bands that go on world wide tours rent/borrow kits from the companies they endorse instead of shipping drums. Those companies commonly then send kits that are more approachable by average consumers as well as whatever they are trying to push to most hobby/weekend gig players (like rockstars, superstars, exports, etc) because it's a sales tactic. Not a bad idea really and let's you know your entry level to intermediate kit can sound pro under the right circumstances.

IBitePrettyHard

Years ago I heard a rumor that Tre Cool would destroy his signature drum kit after every show. Has anyone else heard this? I remember hearing they were cheap drums?

Just found this picture, it appears to be a Tre Cool Slingerland Spitfire kit.

Link to more photos

Don't let wood species turn you off, I currently play a Tama club jam mini with 100% poplar shells and it not only sounds great but I constantly get compliments on how good it sounds, usually from sound guys at large festivals who are on their 15th hour of working and have already run through 12+ bands that day. Some of the most sought after vintage drums have garbage shells by today's standards and most of those 'stencil kits' that the jazz guys love to buy cheap and gig with are barely a step up from cardboard and wood pulp lol.
Agree. I think today its all about the manufacturing process and QA. I have a Tama Imperialstar with clear ambassador heads top and bottom. The HW is great and the sound of the drums exceed my expectations. I visit the local music stores often and play on the DWs , Yamahas and higher end Tamas. While they have much nicer shells and HW, I can't say that they they sound like 2X the price of my kit. Its pretty close.

Xcelerationrules

I have quite a few kits..Gretsch..Tama..Yamaha.
The Gretsch Marquees are the heaviest shells I own..although they are maple.
I'm still working on head combinations to get the sound I'm looking for.
Tried just about everything.
Evans ec2's sound the best to my ears.