Tama Superstar hyperdrive or Mapex Armory

muszogo

Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a new set of drums, but I can't decide between the Mapex armory and the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kits. What do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.

Superman

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a new set of drums, but I can't decide between the Mapex armory and the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive kits. What do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
Both are solid mid range kits. The Tama is maple and the Mapex is a combo of maple and birch. I personally like Mapex better and prefer their finishes but you can't go wrong either way. I also like that Mapex gives you a choice of snare drums with their Armory kit.

STXBob

Gold Member
Personally, I think I'd go with the Tama. I've played both, albeit in a shop, not a band setting.

They're very similar - the sound is good (better with "real" heads), the quality is excellent, the finishes and hardware pretty much flawless.

The Tama gives you die-cast hoops, which I like. Also, I prefer the shallower rack toms for ease of placement.

Is it worth the price difference? I'm not sure. The Mapex's 2.3mm hoops are quite good, though they're not die-cast. And the ability to swap out snares to tailor "your" sound is a very cool feature. Plus you can get "fast" toms in the Armory that make the two so similar as to make the answer to your question "Get the one that makes you happy."

Juxtpos

I went with the Mapex Armory 6pc fast sizes. I was considering the HyperDrive as well and love Tama kits, Played both locally and the Armory just had "something" in the sound that drew me to it, even with beat to hell stock heads on it. Two more weeks until it's delivered...patience is wearing thin.

You can't go wrong with either.

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I had a hyperdrive kit that I sold before buying my Mapex, so I think you can see where I am going here. I did not care for the hyperdrive toms. They sounded small, which I know sounds obvious, but until you play them you cant quite understand. Both are excellent kits, and really you cant go wrong with either one. The real difference is that you can get a used superstar kit for $500, and that it definitely the route I would recommend going.

ImagesWordsAndDrums

Superstar is a different sound for sure. I like the armory for a studio setting a great kit for the mid range price. All though my favorite mid-range kit is a Tama Superstar Classic.

theBonVoyage

I know this post is old but I have to say - I went with Mars because of the quicker decay in the tom resonance. I would put the Armory above the Tama any day but if anyone reading this, trying to decide, can benefit from this thread, at the very least, check out the Mars kits. I bought a Mars kit in February 2017 and I still feel like it's the best sounding kit I've ever owned. Had a few kits prior and I have never been so satisfied with the sound of a kit I've owned. There's no hype around it, no stars telling you to buy it, very few youtube features, etc. But I'm telling you, this kit sounds WAY better than anyone sponsor would have you believe. Less money and a much more punchy, projecting sound than the Armory. I play in a prog metal and old-school hardcore punk band and the Mars is perfect for both. Just my 2 cents.