Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive or Starclassic Performer B/B

Hi,

I'm thinking about for some time now, to buy me a new drum set.
Actually I had already decided for the Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive in Gray Pewter, but when I went to the local Drumstore, the salesman told me that I should rather take the superior Starclassic Performer B/B, if I wanted to stand with the drum set the next 10 years.
Now I wanted to know if it's worth it to invest almost 1,000 € more and buy a Starclassic.
I also would have to buy the hardware for the Starclassic, with the Superstar already comes a hardware kit.
Is it better to spend the 1,000 € in new cymbals and equipment and take the Superstar, or should I prefer the Starclassic and save my money on new cymbals for longer?

Thank you in advance

Superstars man. Of course the guy selling you a kit is going to direct you to the more expensive one. Take the extra 1000 bucks and buy some nice cymbals and lessons on how to tune that set like the Starclassics. The superstars will definatly last the next ten years provided you take care of them well

The only thing I can say, and this goes for any musical instrument, is go with your ears. Both kits are quality drums, one will not last longer than the other, it's how you treat them. If you feel the Superstars have the sound you desire, then you have the extra money for cymbals and heads.

Dennis

Definitely buy what you want as opposed to what the salesman says. Both are great kits. In fact, a friend of mine just bought a Superstar kit and after inspection, they are built very well and sounded great once he put nice heads on them. When we got them set up next to my Starclassic Bubinga Elites the fit and finish was very nice and the sound was great. If you take care of any drumset, it will last for years.

Both Tamas will last 10 years easily,they are built like tanks,I can't tell you how many old tamas that look like they have been through WW 3 and are still gigging.Play both,see what you think,the performers are warmer to my ears.

the hyperdrives are very nice! great for the price. I don't have any myself, but a friend of mine does. they sound great.

I would only get Performers for the following reasons.
1. The finish I like isn't offered in the superstar line
2. I like the chrome star cast mounts better
3. I would also be getting a good deal

I've owned superstars for years they are great drums. They will stand up to anything and sound great. They are also much more easier to find in stores and online.

The salesman wants you to buy the expensive kit. If you're worried about build quality, don't be. That kit will last as long as you want it. Treat it well. If it were me and I was on a budget I'd get some better pedals, cymbals, accessories with the extra dough.

Thanks for your answers!

I thought about it again and I decided to get the Superstar.
I like the finish and the black nickel hardware better than the chrome hardware and finish of the Starclassic. The sound of the Superstar is also very nice ;D
AND I have some money for new heads and other stuff now.

Thanks for your answers!

I thought about it again and I decided to get the Superstar.
I like the finish and the black nickel hardware better than the chrome hardware and finish of the Starclassic. The sound of the Superstar is also very nice ;D
AND I have some money for new heads and other stuff now.

Did you buy them allready :) How do they sound?

Have the same dilemma, you can see it under my threads.

No, I will probably get them at the end of January 2011, so now I can't tell you very much.
But as you may know, they have a very punchy sound and attack, but a very melodic, warm tone.

Dude when u get them post pics! :D and a personal review or vid/clip of u playing them if u can :), Im looking into getting a new kit to record on, and im seriously looking at them :), keep us posted dude :)

Both kits are quality drums, one will not last longer than the other, it's how you treat them.
Dennis

One thing I will say is that every kit I've ever owned (including the ones I no longer own) will certainly outlast me. Kinda sad.

So, finally the pictures are here!

In the first photo you can see quite much of the drumset and in the second one you see the black crash with the slipknot logo, but I have to say before I forget it, I'm not a Slipknot fan, and certainly not a fan of Joey Jordison! I just bought it because it sounded good and was black! The third photo is there to see the exact color and the last is the complete drumset with some things from my old one. I will also get some Sabian AAX with it soon!

Have Fun! :D

Attachments

• IMG_7215.JPG
    IMG_7215.JPG
    645.6 KB · Views: 10,949
  • IMG_7216.JPG
    IMG_7216.JPG
    567.8 KB · Views: 6,130
  • IMG_7225.JPG
    IMG_7225.JPG
    555.7 KB · Views: 9,078
  • IMG_7227.JPG
    IMG_7227.JPG
    639.7 KB · Views: 6,731
As I already said, the toms sound very clear and give defined loud noises. The sound is very clear, powerful, but also with a lot of attack and definition. Fast tom-tom patterns are not washy, but very defined and tuneful. The snare drum is a relatively loud model and in high tuning, it is very gaudy. The bassdrum is really powerful, i'll cut a hole in it to dampen it. I have to say I LOVE this drumkit and I'm really happy with it. :D

If you want to know some more things, just ask me! :)

ahhh sounds good :)

I'm guessing thats the 18" bass drum?

thats the only thing that concerns me, that it wont be loud enough, but all reviews I've read say that the bass drum is nice and loud.

TM

Back